Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

One more WS Journal-Post NMSU

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: One more WS Journal-Post NMSU

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm

I wonder if the 4th and 1st quarters had been reversed, and we went up big early and then held on to win the game if it would seem like a better game to everyone. The thinking would be: "App State dominated and then held NMSU at bay to preserve the win." I think it was the fact that the game was in question until like half-way into the 4th quarter that's got people concerned. Which, if you remember our FCS games against many upper tier P5s where we would hang with them until the 3rd or 4th quarter and then they would pull away. The better team ultimately won but didn't surge early.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am
Look back to our 2007 team. We're GaSo and Wofford better team than us? No way in hell! But they beat us because they played a hell of a game.
Not quite the same, given '07 injuries played a big part, especially in Wofford.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm
I wonder if the 4th and 1st quarters had been reversed, and we went up big early and then held on to win the game if it would seem like a better game to everyone. The thinking would be: "App State dominated and then held NMSU at bay to preserve the win." I think it was the fact that the game was in question until like half-way into the 4th quarter that's got people concerned. Which, if you remember our FCS games against many upper tier P5s where we would hang with them until the 3rd or 4th quarter and then they would pull away. The better team ultimately won but didn't surge early.
I think the logic here is that we did not get much going offensively for 50 mins in part due to NMSU's defense. If you require 6 turnovers to win a game we are not putting ourselves in a good position. That is the first time in our team's history to have 6 int's. That is NOT a normal day. In fairness, we hit their QB early and got in his head, the crowd noise also seemed to have an impact, as a result their QB made some bad decisions throwing and our DB's made some very good plays for the int's. Against a better opponent, i.e. Wake/Wolford, those factors don't result in 6 ints and we lose. A couple less turnovers and we don't win this one. I don't think you can count on 6 ints every week to get the win. You need to do things in other areas to prevent you from being in that vulnerable situation.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm

biggie wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am
Look back to our 2007 team. We're GaSo and Wofford better team than us? No way in hell! But they beat us because they played a hell of a game.
Not quite the same, given '07 injuries played a big part, especially in Wofford.
And NMSU not having their best WR and a gimpy Rose didn't play a part for them?

Take the teams that lost to NC A&T, Charleston Southern, and Liberty then.. were they better than us? No way. But they outplayed us those games.

Again, I am not slighting the team, the coaches, or the effort. I am congratulating NMSU players and coaches for the game plan and execution to make it a closer game than past years.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm
Rick83 wrote:
I think the logic here is that we did not get much going offensively for 50 mins in part due to NMSU's defense. If you require 6 turnovers to win a game we are not putting ourselves in a good position. That is the first time in our team's history to have 6 int's. That is NOT a normal day. In fairness, we hit their QB early and got in his head, the crowd noise also seemed to have an impact, as a result their QB made some bad decisions throwing and our DB's made some very good plays for the int's. Against a better opponent, i.e. Wake/Wolford, those factors don't result in 6 ints and we lose. A couple less turnovers and we don't win this one. I don't think you can count on 6 ints every week to get the win. You need to do things in other areas to prevent you from being in that vulnerable situation.
Do you think that NMSU played an overly-aggressive game plan throwing the ball too much and too deep? Long pass plays get lots of yards but are also riskier. And are you saying that NMSU is the better team and we just lucked into it?

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:30 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:22 pm
Rick83 wrote:
I really can't buy into the "couple of less turnovers and we lose" thing. We found a way to win. Period. If we had two less turnovers, maybe its the defense getting a couple of big sacks to kill their drives, or whatever. Who knows. We found a way to win when our QB had an off day and the other team seemed to gameplan for us well. Let's just accept that and enjoy it.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:28 am

I don't think all those interceptions against NMSU were because of luck. From an Appstatesports.com article:

"With 47 interceptions since the start of the 2015 season, App State ranks third nationally behind only San Diego State (57) and Utah (49)."
Also,
"They put in the work, studying film and understanding concepts," Brown said. "They put in the work each and every day to have the success they had on Saturday."

We're lucky in the sense that they're willing to work so hard at learning how to intercept the ball. Those passes didn't just luckily fall into their arms.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:51 am

Kudos to Coach Brown on the job developing those guys.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:48 am
As someone with a Statistics degree from Appalachian, I wholeheartedly disagree with your flippant statement that statistics are for losers. Statistics provide a great indicator as to what is the probable outcome. Doesn't always work out that way but it will provide a better indicator of what is likely than the use of transitive property theory.
Anybody see MONEYBALL :o
This is quite a change from prior posts.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”