Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

AppinATL
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:44 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm
The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm

That is like saying all Muslims are bad because of ISIS, or all guns are evil because a nut in Vegas. They are broad generalizations that aren’t true and don’t represent the actuality of the circumstances.
Any logical person is going to be able to differentiate between 18-20 year olds saying something vs. 20,000+ cordial fans in an inviting and amazing atmosphere.
If they don’t see that, they are looking for an excuse to be offended, much like many people here are, and that can’t be prevented. If it wasn’t this, it would be a dozen other things
Not what I said and I'll respectfully request you not put words in my mouth again. I know many App fans who won't ever travel to Statesboro again because of the way their student section behaves. I do not want Appalachian State University to have that same reputation.
I don’t think you understand the term “put words in my mouth”. I didn’t say you said that, (that would putting words in your mouth) I said it was “like” saying, which if you go back to high school English class, is an analogy; or a comparison of two things using “like” or “as”.
My point was making a broad judgement based off of a small sample, is not indicative of a the total subject matter...
People argue off-topic when they know they're wrong. You're arguing the validity of a "YOU SUCK A**HOLE" chant. Just stop. You're wrong.
This isn’t a right or wrong issue. And if you read my early statements, I do not approve or enjoy the chant, I just feel like it isn’t as big of a deal as many are saying. It is a matter of personal feeling. It wasn’t an off topic argument as I was comparing what we were discussing. And I was responding to your accusations of “putting words in your mouth”.
In my experience, people try to steer the discussion towards personal attacks and away from the actual subject when they can’t actually address what another party is saying. Its the equivalent of saying “nuh-uh” or “your mom” on the playground. (Again, that is an analogy, not putting words in your mouth).
Of COURSE, its a right or wrong issue! Has anybody looked around lately and seen the sorry state our society is falling into? How did we get here? My theory is by letting stuff like this slide until it becomes “ok”. And then we move onto worse behaviors and let that slide until that becomes “ok,” and on and on. Over time, we end up to where no one has respect for anything. And we end up with people throwing mass temper tantrums when they lose elections and stuff.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 pm

Gillin just mentioned it on the Idaho pre game.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:06 pm

I'm gonna yell it in my theatre room this evening just for good measure.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:33 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:06 pm
I'm gonna yell it in my theatre room this evening just for good measure.

Classy!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

High Country Student

Unread post by High Country Student » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:54 pm

You suck asshole!!!!!! Sorry guys, I couldn't hear your chatter, Idaho was kicking off. Go Neeeerssss!!!!!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:12 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:26 pm
Gillin just called out the chant on the pre-game show.
Yes he did! Was happy to hear.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm

As an insane person, I don't agree with telling anyone what they should or should not say.... Still, the chant is childish and not meaningful. I appreciate folks who want it to end for the right reasons. Being offended < those not wanting to appear childish.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm

I doubt many students listen to the pre-game show so I'd guess very few students heard DG mention the chant. If we want change then we must be the change. We need to come up with a chant that we can all yell at kickoff that drowns out the students' "YSA". I don't see the students stopping unless their message isn't being heard. At which point, they'll probably grasp on to our (classier, adultish, less offensive) chant. So let's hear everyone's suggestions so we can put up a poll and vote as a fan base. Otherwise, we'll continue to hear "YSA!"

Once we've voted and chosen, we need to forward this on to DG so that he can get a print out to put on the east side and upper west side seats as well as on the video board. This must be a concerted effort or we're just keyboard warriors bitching and moaning.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 pm

I'm guessing that if DG is mentioning it on the pre-game show, he is mentioning it in other venues as well. I hope so at least. Honestly, I sit on the East side in 211 and I can hear them yell but it isn't clear what is being said...but I'm not paying much attention to them either. It has just never stood out to me. It's a pretty tacky cheer though and I'd rather it were replaced with something more appropriate.

AppScott89

Unread post by AppScott89 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm

I sit in Section 215 and I heard it load and clear during the NMSU game. First time I had heard it. My daughter had mention it before. I guess we need to tell the defense to keep the other team from scoring. This way we will only have to hear it once a game. LOL

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:14 pm

AppScott89 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm
I sit in Section 215 and I heard it load and clear during the NMSU game. First time I had heard it. My daughter had mention it before. I guess we need to tell the defense to keep the other team from scoring. This way we will only have to hear it once a game. LOL
They even do it when we score... which makes it far and away the most popular and oft-repeated chant every game day! So great! /sarcasm

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Option:

ooooooooooooooooooh...(home side) A, (endzone and hill) S, (visitor's side) U!!!!!!!! - should be done slowly A.....S.....U. Not like the 100mph ASUASUASUASUASU that typically breaks out.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

TooTallApp

Unread post by TooTallApp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm

What about a chant like the NY Jets?

A...P...P...App!, App!, App!

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Folks on this board have lobbied for years, myself included, to establish a Kick off Cheer. Nothing came of it. Frankly I think that's why we have a Cheer Leading squad. To lead cheers. Where have they been? I heard DGs comments; he has the power to create change. He can have the cheerleaders and student Yosef Club on board to distribute a new Kick off cheer to everyone entering the stadium, and on the video board. Then it's up to us, the fans, to make it work, and become a tradition.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:04 pm

TooTallApp wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm
What about a chant like the NY Jets?

A...P...P...App!, App!, App!
A P P S! Go Apps Go!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am
Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 pm
Georgia southerns student section throws beer at you, tries to fight you and much more. We have a chant. The two aren't comparable. It's not even close.
Thank you! Exactly the point I have been making. Saying a chant to essentially no one is no where near physically attacking or harming anyone. It isn’t a slippery slope that leads to physical assault like everyone is making out.
It makes you sound like a bunch of non clever dumbasses. Is that clear enough?

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 pm

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2016/6/ ... traditions

If people on this board think they can create a tradition from behind their keyboard they are deluding themselves. We are severely lacking in any real game day traditions and the only one I can think of is the app-state chant that every school does a version of. Go watch the Notre dame band enter the stadium, Ohio states pregame show or hell, watch the pirate at ecu raise the no quarter flag and tell me anything we do even comes close to that. Our mountaineer walk is a joke, the pregame show is lackluster (I was in the bod for both pregame shows and feel I have a right to my opinion on this), and everything about our game day lacks serious tradition.

The link I posted is a good example of how a P5 alum views a similar chant. I'm just late night Ranting but our game day atmosphere is awesome outside the stadium (tailgating) and sucks inside the stadium (other than football).

Edit: misspelled notre dame

dp42828

Unread post by dp42828 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:28 am

Dmanuhone wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:05 pm
Gillin just mentioned it on the Idaho pre game.
What did he say?
David
2004 Marketing & Management Grad

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:52 pm
https://www.offtackleempire.com/2016/6/ ... traditions

If people on this board think they can create a tradition from behind their keyboard they are deluding themselves. We are severely lacking in any real game day traditions and the only one I can think of is the app-state chant that every school does a version of. Go watch the Notre dame band enter the stadium, Ohio states pregame show or hell, watch the pirate at ecu raise the no quarter flag and tell me anything we do even comes close to that. Our mountaineer walk is a joke, the pregame show is lackluster (I was in the bod for both pregame shows and feel I have a right to my opinion on this), and everything about our game day lacks serious tradition.

The link I posted is a good example of how a P5 alum views a similar chant. I'm just late night Ranting but our game day atmosphere is awesome outside the stadium (tailgating) and sucks inside the stadium (other than football).

Edit: misspelled notre dame
Interesting article. I still believe we need something much more engaging than Sean Connery to get the fans into the game. Va tech has enter sandman, Wisconsin has jump around, you know, whole songs not just a phrase from a 25 year old movie

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:40 am

"GO! FIGHT! KICK ASS!" would be a good replacement. Though after reading this thread that might be a little too vulgar for some of you...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”