Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Big $$ Announcement Coming

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Big $$ Announcement Coming

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:12 am
Does anyone remember Nevin Shapiro the guy who gave The U millions of dollars?
Yep. That guy was the definition of a hanger on.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:35 am

So if the plan for the north end zone is to build a patio overlooking the player entrance, I guess that means that we will be moving the locker room. Seems like such a waste. It is a really cool room and the bar to make the new one better is pretty high.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:05 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm
HkyMtneer wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:41 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:43 pm
The best part of this is this gift like all of ours is for the love we have for our University and its from the heart. Mark clearly gets the TIGMA award for the week. Thank you Mark from the bottom of all our hearts.
Call me crazy but I think $10 mil. might be worth a little more than the TIGMA award for the week! I'll be happy to nominate Mark for the quarterly TIGMA. We might have to make that a thing, but a donation like that is worth the effort. So here's to you, Mark, Class of '89...APP State Athletics Santa Daddy 2017! :lol:
I'm sure Mark or Double Wood Farm is going to have their name on something in Boone after this.
I'm thinking this is a pretty good bet...

I would be very happy if we end up with something in the same neighborhood as this. It's got a great modern aesthetic that still calls back to the rest of the Rock and other buildings on campus.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Yep he was but he also gave MILLIONS to the U - of course it was all stolen from his Ponzi Scheme
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:30 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Yep he was but he also gave MILLIONS to the U - of course it was all stolen from his Ponzi Scheme
I'm missing something. What does this have to do with the generous gift we received?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am

T-Dog wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:35 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:24 pm
Again I ask: Do we do any due dilligence on large donations?
I would assume so. An 8-figure donation would surely have bankers and attorneys involved.
If they don't do due diligence, then everyone involved should be fired and I'm not joking. I would put the chances of no due diligence done at 0.1 percent. That would be checking financial statements, attorneys looking over every aspect of a signed deal, bankers vouching for ability to pay, etc.

Ricks was Director of Global Operations at Mars Inc, which is a $35 billion a year company, 6th largest private company in America according to Forbes. It's not a public company so you can't see how much their execs make, but I would imagine it's in the millions including bonuses and golden parachutes. Horse racing is big money too. You have to be a millionaire to get in it with a degree of seriousness.

We've always wanted Athletics to reach out and try to tap into the wealthy alums and it appears they hit 21 with this one.
Where did you find the "Directory of Global Operations" title? I've not seen that one listed anywhere. I've only noticed "Director of Global Protective Services"...which is obviously very different than the Global Ops title. Global Ops is business related, Global Protective Services is security-related. I would imagine we would be talking a HUGE difference in pay scale. I've known a couple of individuals with the GPS type title within Fortune 100 companies and basically they've been responsible for the safety and security of high-level execs and securing top executives when traveling abroad, etc. A good, heck, great job no doubt...but not a top-level business ops position. Considering Ricks was a CJ grad I tend to believe he would be slotted more towards the GPS position.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:13 am

For goodness sakes..... maybe, just maybe, he invested well!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:15 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am
T-Dog wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:35 am
hotrod2001 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:27 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:24 pm
Again I ask: Do we do any due dilligence on large donations?
I would assume so. An 8-figure donation would surely have bankers and attorneys involved.
If they don't do due diligence, then everyone involved should be fired and I'm not joking. I would put the chances of no due diligence done at 0.1 percent. That would be checking financial statements, attorneys looking over every aspect of a signed deal, bankers vouching for ability to pay, etc.

Ricks was Director of Global Operations at Mars Inc, which is a $35 billion a year company, 6th largest private company in America according to Forbes. It's not a public company so you can't see how much their execs make, but I would imagine it's in the millions including bonuses and golden parachutes. Horse racing is big money too. You have to be a millionaire to get in it with a degree of seriousness.

We've always wanted Athletics to reach out and try to tap into the wealthy alums and it appears they hit 21 with this one.
Where did you find the "Director of Global Operations" title? I've not seen that one listed anywhere. I've only noticed "Director of Global Protective Services"...which is obviously very different than the Global Ops title. Global Ops is business related, Global Protective Services is security-related. I would imagine we would be talking a HUGE difference in pay scale. I've known a couple of individuals with the GPS type title within Fortune 100 companies and basically they've been responsible for the safety and security of high-level execs and securing top executives when traveling abroad, etc. A good, heck, great job no doubt...but not a top-level business ops position. Considering Ricks was a CJ grad I tend to believe he would be slotted more towards the GPS position.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:20 am

Nothing - I was just responding to Rek's question about vetting - I don't know any of these people
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:50 am

:star .
Last edited by Rekdiver on Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Big difference in paying money OUT to some bogus entity and receiving money. All that money has to clear banks before it can be used.

If older Howard Hughes was around in this time he would be difficult to find on the internet as well. Just think of all the "eccentricities", putting it mildly, that he had. I doubt Mr Ricks is storing his urine in jars.

Can nothing good ever happen without some looking for the bad in a situation? When Don Beaver gave 10 Mil for the new College of Health Sciences (5 Mil up front and 5 willed, which is why Mr Ricks' is the largest single contribution), I don't remember any questioning that. I'm not jumping on anyone but just saying can't we just accept the money, say thank you, and move forward. This is supposed to be a GOOD thing and a big boost to Athletics. Not a conspiracy. I sometimes ask myself why I quit posting or even reading these threads and then I look and it's hits me.

I actually thought everyone would be happy when I hinted at this a few weeks ago. Stupid me I guess. :?

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm

Agreed with Moose! Why the hell can we not be happy a man donated and gave his all?

Thank you Mark! We really appreciate it!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Guys I'm thrilled to get the gift. I just wondered if we did our homework before announcing. That's all.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Rek, you know I love ya man but, as I said, this is different than paying money out. If it was Gates, Buffett, or to keep it closer to home, Eric Church giving the donation would you question it? I trust Doug and the rest of the dept that they would not have been as happy as they have been if this wasn't real. Just because someone doesn't like the spotlight doesn't mean they don't have what they say they do.

As I said in other threads, I've known about this for a while. Plenty of time for any "vetting" to have been done.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Not sure if the intent is to create a conspiracy theory but more of curiosity. A simple google search of Virginia horse farms shows page after page. The one that Mark owns doesn’t come up. I’ve never heard of this type of farm before and was just curious about how it works. That area of Virginia is very small and the only thing remotely related to the farm name is a large house. This donation is incredible but when it comes from someone who admitted to have almost no alum relation to the school just sounds intriguing. Most folks with this kind of money have something that can be googled in 2017.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:28 pm

And by those same standards if he was shady or had been involved in any illegal activities there would be tons on the internet. There always is. Personally, if it's me, I don't look a gift horse (pun fully intended) in the mouth.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:15 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:39 pm
Guys I'm thrilled to get the gift. I just wondered if we did our homework before announcing. That's all.
I'm ecstatic about the donation myself...and really don't care where the money came from, as long as it's been vetted, which I'm sure it has. My curiosity is more for curiosity's sake. I love hearing about APP alumni success stories and it sounds like Mr. Ricks certainly has one to tell. I'd love to hear more, read more, about his path to financial success, might find a nugget worth emulating in there.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:39 pm
I'm sure we did. If not, the Winston-Salem Journal probably did their own. If something was shady they would have reported on it.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:58 pm

Firemoose, please don’t quit posting!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm

just call me mr. Nosey. I know Beaver and Wilson and Sofield and what they did to become successful. I certainly don't want to look the golden gift in the mouth.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”