Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone Project Gets Green Light

appknowledgeispower
School: Appalachian State

Re: North End Zone Project Gets Green Light

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:31 am

I really hope they don't block the GREAT view of the mountains and Howards Knob.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am

MtnMan09 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 am
They are not moving any stands according to the YC person I met with last week. That would cost way to much money. The track is coming out and there will just be extended sidelines with turf. He did say they may play around with some ways to make use of the new space. One thing he mentioned might be a poor man's version of field "suites" like at Jerry's World. Im sure this would be more akin to renting tailgate tent areas actually on the field. I think Texas A&M or someone may do this.
Good idea along with a super wide concourse in front of the student section for the lower stands to enter and exit from. There would be standing room only here too and we could likely have an good amount of overflow standing room only of students in this space for the big over flow games. The Wake and Miami games prove that we need better ingress and egress.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:48 am
MtnMan09 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 am
They are not moving any stands according to the YC person I met with last week. That would cost way to much money. The track is coming out and there will just be extended sidelines with turf. He did say they may play around with some ways to make use of the new space. One thing he mentioned might be a poor man's version of field "suites" like at Jerry's World. Im sure this would be more akin to renting tailgate tent areas actually on the field. I think Texas A&M or someone may do this.
Good idea along with a super wide concourse in front of the student section for the lower stands to enter and exit from. There would be standing room only here too and we could likely have an good amount of overflow standing room only of students in this space for the big over flow games. The Wake and Miami games prove that we need better ingress and egress.
Agree about the concourse. I think we could a two rows per side without lowering the field, add the concourse easing congestion under the stadium, and add a brick or stone wall between the concourse and field with some type of shrub. ND added a really classy brick wall similar to this.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm

Plant a 5-8 foot wide yellow rhododendron or mountain laurel hedge against the wall. That'll swallow up some of that gap and fit with our mountain heritage.

I really wish we could find a way to re-grade/re-angle the student section. I've never liked the low angle. As a student I hated standing on the wobbly metal bleachers to see over the row in front of you. But at the same time, it's kind of what we do. I'm 33 and I rarely venture into the student section anymore so it doesn't affect me. Just always thought drunk kids on a wobbly strip of metal was begging for injury.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm
Plant a 5-8 foot wide yellow rhododendron or mountain laurel hedge against the wall. That'll swallow up some of that gap and fit with our mountain heritage.

I really wish we could find a way to re-grade/re-angle the student section. I've never liked the low angle. As a student I hated standing on the wobbly metal bleachers to see over the row in front of you. But at the same time, it's kind of what we do. I'm 33 and I rarely venture into the student section anymore so it doesn't affect me. Just always thought drunk kids on a wobbly strip of metal was begging for injury.
This is something DG needs to look into. I was in the student section for the game against GS, and the students don't like standing (drunk) on a thin strip of wobbly metal, so they leave. If everyone stood on the solid ground in front of the bleachers, it would work better. UNC does this, they just have everyone stand on the solid ground in front of the bleachers and prohibit anyone from standing on the bleacher. It makes it better for everyone. Also, adding a beer den would be nice.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:13 pm

I suggested the following in another thread.

I like the idea of a walkway as well as rocks/boulders with some mountain laurel and rhododendrons surrounding the field. Would have the outer three lanes 6-8 of the track for fans to walk, middle three lanes 3-5 for rocks, boulders and shrubs and remaining two inside track lanes 1-2 for players and equipment.
Last edited by Appstate88 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm

I love KBS, but have never been a fan of the signage that was added to the walls a few years back. Looks cheap. I think we need to do away with that and add something a little cleaner made of stone or brick. Stone or brick accents to the handicap access towers on both sides of the east stands too.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am
I'll be interested to see if the project is centered on the field from sideline to sideline.

Let's get real, if the track goes away there will be a lot of empty space between the east/west stands and the feild. If it offset towards the "app side then I would assume the "state side will be demolished in the future and rebuilt. closer. If it's centered then there is is gonna be a lot of green between you and the field because we all know lowering the field is impossible.
I doubt that’s where DG and co. will want to spend any of the money but that really is what needs to be done and I’d prefer that happen rather than the north end zone project, but that’s just me. East side was done on the cheap and boy does it show.

AtlantaMountaineer

Unread post by AtlantaMountaineer » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:57 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm
I love KBS, but have never been a fan of the signage that was added to the walls a few years back. Looks cheap. I think we need to do away with that and add something a little cleaner made of stone or brick. Stone or brick accents to the handicap access towers on both sides of the east stands too.
I am so glad someone finally said this. I have not liked the signage since the day it was installed. Reminds me of a used car lot signage. I have always wanted to say something about it but everyone else seemed to like it so i kept quiet. But the ugly signage does not go with the surrounding beauty of KBS and is at best tacky.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Man, all you people wanting to be "field level" need to sign up for game day ops, that would put you right there.
Bring Your A Game!

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm

yosef13 wrote:
I agree. Why was that done? We're the brick walls in bad shape and needed covering?

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:49 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:41 pm
yosef13 wrote:
I agree. Why was that done? We're the brick walls in bad shape and needed covering?
Maybe. I think they were concrete with the App logo with the "bird dotting the eye" on the 50. I always liked them. 10 mil should help cover any need repairs!

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Love that lettering and the colors. I hope it stays.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm

APPRIDE wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm
yosef13 wrote:
I like it as well.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:17 am

I have zero problem with the walls.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 am

Love the walls.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:32 pm
APPRIDE wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm
yosef13 wrote:
I like it as well.
We do have brick accents where the stairs are located to access field on both sides of stadium. The concrete walls were worn down by weather and were "reinforced" and smoothed out with concrete filler where cracks and other blemishes existed. The walls were well prepped for the signage.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:31 am

I don't mind the black and yellow livery on the walls, it makes us a little unique, although I would probably go with a different font. I like the black and gold accents though.

I've seen the renderings of the new fieldhouse and although I like it, I really hope that the end result retains the same color scheme as the press box (and the bulk of the campus facilities for that matter) for the sake of conformity, because to me (and even that earlier rendering that came out during the Cobb era) started to make KBS look a little Frankensteined with different types of architecture (and too much white) and I'm of the opinion that all aspects of a stadium should look similar and not like a NASCAR track which just adds new seating wherever without an overall design look.

Also (and I haven't gone through all the comments) if the track is being removed, how hard would it be to bring in dirt and graders and move in the south hill in some to where the turns are? If they were able to do that, then they could double the width of the concourse area, which would allow them to build up that section without having to deal with the slope behind it. Maybe add a patio area or a beer garden up there.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:43 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm
I really wish we could find a way to re-grade/re-angle the student section. As a student I hated standing on the wobbly metal bleachers to see over the row in front of you...
...I was in the student section for the game against GS, and the students don't like standing (drunk) on a thin strip of wobbly metal, so they leave...
In our sue-happy society I could easily see a kid falling and injuring themselves and a parent suing.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:01 pm

This summer I asked about seats in front of the North End Zone project, and I was told there are windows on field level that will look into the stadium so they were not going to have seats there. Now I don't know if that means temporary seats won't be added during the season, but they definitely weren't planning on permanent seats at that time. To me that is a mistake as we would be very limited on future expansion options with that building and the location of the video board.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”