Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UCF big win for g5

Apptrain
School: Appalachian State

Re: UCF big win for g5

Unread post by Apptrain » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Radical idea that will never happen. Dissolve all current fbs conferences. Make new conferences out of all fbs teams by geography, with no consideration as to who they are. That would level the playing field for all schools in fbs. Would at least slow the jumping of coaches and their staffs to other programs. More regional rivalries that are easy for fans to travel to. I know I’m dreaming. I believe the big dogs want to keep it as is, a limited membership club. But it would be nice, to maybe have our conference be no bigger than say Va, NC, and Sc, for example. I know this isn’t productive, just fantasy, but would be my choice for college football and fans.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:59 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:09 pm
Until there is a real FBS playoff with ar least all 10 conference champs like every other sport at any level, they might as well just pick the champ by a poll like the old days.
And lose revenue from the the CFP title game? I don't think so. That would not help us either with less CFP pie scraps being rationed to the G5s.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm

Apptrain wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:58 pm
Radical idea that will never happen. Dissolve all current fbs conferences. Make new conferences out of all fbs teams by geography, with no consideration as to who they are. That would level the playing field for all schools in fbs. Would at least slow the jumping of coaches and their staffs to other programs. More regional rivalries that are easy for fans to travel to. I know I’m dreaming. I believe the big dogs want to keep it as is, a limited membership club. But it would be nice, to maybe have our conference be no bigger than say Va, NC, and Sc, for example. I know this isn’t productive, just fantasy, but would be my choice for college football and fans.
Get in way back machine and travel to 1970. You got it. Sounds great but ain’t happening.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 am

To me, an expansion to an 8 team playoff with all P5 Conference Champs, 2 at large, and the best G5 is intriguing. The CFP gets some media fodder with a "David vs Goliath" matchup or two and the G5 gets a chance to prove themselves.

UCF was definitely one of the Top 4 or 5 teams, but UGA looks real special. They are young and fast, can play defensive battles or score with the best of them (as seen with OU). That Auburn game was an outlier and probably Gus's best game since Cam graduated. Gus always gives himself a few games to secure his job.
The Appalachian State

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm
[quote=Apptrain post_id=162020 time=<a href="tel:1514941095">1514941095</a> user_id=7039]
Get in way back machine and travel to 1970. You got it. Sounds great but ain’t happening.
[/quote]

You are assuming geography is the only consideration on conference membership. Even I agree that should not be the only criteria for conference alignment. There are many valid factors that should be considered and that is just one.
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 am

UCF success also highlights why App should take NY6 bowl seriously. Some fans on this board poo pooed the people who were disappointed that we underperformed this year overall. Don’t get me wrong we salvaged season and finished strong and I am very proud of that. But UCF going from 0-12 to 13-0 winning NY6 bowl proves we should be always setting our goal as NY6 and no less. Let’s not make excuses in future but push to be an elite G5. We can do it.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:02 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:46 am
UCF success also highlights why App should take NY6 bowl seriously. Some fans on this board poo pooed the people who were disappointed that we underperformed this year overall. Don’t get me wrong we salvaged season and finished strong and I am very proud of that. But UCF going from 0-12 to 13-0 winning NY6 bowl proves we should be always setting our goal as NY6 and no less. Let’s not make excuses in future but push to be an elite G5. We can do it.
There is a difference between excuses and reasons. The difference is in how you perceive the latter.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm
The AAC is really top-heavy. Sorta like the SEC.
And all G5 conferences.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Setting the NY6 bowl at a goal is fine. Setting it as the benchmark against which success is measured is not reasonable. I completely "get" being disappointed when we feel the team is under performing. I just don't really agree that the NY6 goal a stated goal for the team, largely because there are so many factors beyond the team's control. Most notably, the schedule is what it is and some years it will not support even discussing a NY6 bowl. Other years (like this one) it turns out we have a team on the schedule (Georgia) that is probably beyond reasonable expectations (not saying we don't show up and do our best to win). We also can't control the performance of other teams. (like UCF). Making the NY6 is certainly a good long term goal, but I don't think we are to the point where it is an annual incentive....yet.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm

UCF and Western Michigan both went undefeated and both finished 12th in final BCS voting. Even if there is expansion to 8 teams G5 most likely excluded unless the committee is made to include them. I had no idea that UCF was the largest school in the country until recently. How they went 0-12 is baffling. I guess someone just figured it was time to be good. It ain’t all about the coach either. Florida recruiting has to be easy. Does UCF allow non-qualifiers? Any quick turnaround makes me go hmmmmm. I said the same thing when Ole Miss all of a sudden had a top 10 recruiting class and a monster season.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm
UCF and Western Michigan both went undefeated and both finished 12th in final BCS voting. Even if there is expansion to 8 teams G5 most likely excluded unless the committee is made to include them. I had no idea that UCF was the largest school in the country until recently. How they went 0-12 is baffling. I guess someone just figured it was time to be good. It ain’t all about the coach either. Florida recruiting has to be easy. Does UCF allow non-qualifiers? Any quick turnaround makes me go hmmmmm. I said the same thing when Ole Miss all of a sudden had a top 10 recruiting class and a monster season.

Remember they also beat Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl and finished in the top 10 two years BEFORE going 0-12. UCF has been winning for a while; that year was a huge outlier.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:15 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm
Gonzo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:13 pm
The AAC is really top-heavy. Sorta like the SEC.
And all G5 conferences.
I don't know. Two teams who went .500 in the AAC won bowl games 49-7 (over Virginia) and 28-3 (over FIU).

The worst team in the conference (Tulsa) beat Houston by 28 and ULL by 24, plus lost to Toledo by 3 and USF by 7.

Tulane was sub.-500 in AAC yet beat 10-3 Army.

ECU... OK, ECU is a raging dumpster fire. But the rest of the league seems pretty competitive.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm
Setting the NY6 bowl at a goal is fine. Setting it as the benchmark against which success is measured is not reasonable. I completely "get" being disappointed when we feel the team is under performing. I just don't really agree that the NY6 goal a stated goal for the team, largely because there are so many factors beyond the team's control. Most notably, the schedule is what it is and some years it will not support even discussing a NY6 bowl. Other years (like this one) it turns out we have a team on the schedule (Georgia) that is probably beyond reasonable expectations (not saying we don't show up and do our best to win). We also can't control the performance of other teams. (like UCF). Making the NY6 is certainly a good long term goal, but I don't think we are to the point where it is an annual incentive....yet.
This also requires the committee to respect Sun Belt football. Troy, Ark State, or App going undefeated vs a MWC or AAC team going undefeated and we'll lose out each time.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:34 pm
Does UCF allow non-qualifiers?
No...the AAC as a conference does not allow NQs. This probably correlates with the drop off we have seen with ECU since joining the league, along with sub par coaching.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:26 pm

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm

Haha, this is absurd. You just can't claim a national championship. It isn't something you can just make up and proclaim as a true title.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:44 pm
Haha, this is absurd. You just can't claim a national championship. It isn't something you can just make up and proclaim as a true title.
I'm actually embarrassed for UCF. It's a really bad look.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:09 pm

fjblair wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm
t4pizza wrote:
I'm actually embarrassed for UCF. It's a really bad look, and is going to backfire.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:36 pm

fjblair wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm
t4pizza wrote:
I'm actually embarrassed for UCF. It's a really bad look.
That tweet is the least of it. They're planning a parade and are going to hang a banner at their stadium.

EDIT: Looks like they're paying the coaches too.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Well, that's how it was done for most of college football history. Alabama, among others, still claims various titles from years in which they weren't recognized by most as the champion.

But also, I kind of think this is less about a literal national title than making a statement about the system. I think what they're really saying is, we should have had a chance to compete for the title, and since you didn't give us the chance to prove that we are the best team, nobody can prove we aren't either.

In short, they're part honoring their team, part promoting the brand, and part trolling.

Personally I think it's great.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”