Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North End Zone Project Gets Green Light

BTK2000
School: Appalachian State

Re: North End Zone Project Gets Green Light

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am
I'll be interested to see if the project is centered on the field from sideline to sideline.

Let's get real, if the track goes away there will be a lot of empty space between the east/west stands and the feild. If it offset towards the "app side then I would assume the "state side will be demolished in the future and rebuilt. closer. If it's centered then there is is gonna be a lot of green between you and the field because we all know lowering the field is impossible.
I doubt that’s where DG and co. will want to spend any of the money but that really is what needs to be done and I’d prefer that happen rather than the north end zone project, but that’s just me. East side was done on the cheap and boy does it show.
I have heard all sorts of things about how the stadium expansion was done wrong or the plans were acceraterated too quickly after the game in 07. One thing I have heard to be try is that the old/ current "app" grandstand is not grounded and doesn't meet current codes. Someone with more knowage than me can speak more to it but that's my understanding for the reason it isn't connected to the athletics center and this also blocks any expansion to those stands in the future.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:10 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:19 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:30 am
I'll be interested to see if the project is centered on the field from sideline to sideline.

Let's get real, if the track goes away there will be a lot of empty space between the east/west stands and the feild. If it offset towards the "app side then I would assume the "state side will be demolished in the future and rebuilt. closer. If it's centered then there is is gonna be a lot of green between you and the field because we all know lowering the field is impossible.
I doubt that’s where DG and co. will want to spend any of the money but that really is what needs to be done and I’d prefer that happen rather than the north end zone project, but that’s just me. East side was done on the cheap and boy does it show.
I have heard all sorts of things about how the stadium expansion was done wrong or the plans were acceraterated too quickly after the game in 07. One thing I have heard to be try is that the old/ current "app" grandstand is not grounded and doesn't meet current codes. Someone with more knowage than me can speak more to it but that's my understanding for the reason it isn't connected to the athletics center and this also blocks any expansion to those stands in the future.
As far as the codes, yes. It is the same reason when the lower sections were rebuilt in the 90's, capacity went down. The same number of seats won't fit in the same footprint under modern codes. The West upper stands would have had to meet current codes if the Center was attached as it would have cause the whole thing to be counted as 1 structure and would have put it over the allowable change without having to bring the rest up to code.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:54 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm
Plant a 5-8 foot wide yellow rhododendron or mountain laurel hedge against the wall. That'll swallow up some of that gap and fit with our mountain heritage.

I really wish we could find a way to re-grade/re-angle the student section. I've never liked the low angle. As a student I hated standing on the wobbly metal bleachers to see over the row in front of you. But at the same time, it's kind of what we do. I'm 33 and I rarely venture into the student section anymore so it doesn't affect me. Just always thought drunk kids on a wobbly strip of metal was begging for injury.
I really wish we would get rid of those tacky drapes that cover the nice brick wall. I think anyone watching the game know who we are. We have Appalachian etched in stone. That's what it should be.IMOP.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:20 am

hAPPy4APP wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:54 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:35 pm
Plant a 5-8 foot wide yellow rhododendron or mountain laurel hedge against the wall. That'll swallow up some of that gap and fit with our mountain heritage.

I really wish we could find a way to re-grade/re-angle the student section. I've never liked the low angle. As a student I hated standing on the wobbly metal bleachers to see over the row in front of you. But at the same time, it's kind of what we do. I'm 33 and I rarely venture into the student section anymore so it doesn't affect me. Just always thought drunk kids on a wobbly strip of metal was begging for injury.
I really wish we would get rid of those tacky drapes that cover the nice brick wall. I think anyone watching the game know who we are. We have Appalachian etched in stone. That's what it should be.IMOP.
Wasn't it more like "recessed in concrete" than "etched in stone"? That concrete was dingy, dirty, and plane looking.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

hAPPy4APP

Unread post by hAPPy4APP » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:33 pm

Dirty and dingy seems like a pretty easy fix., but if you really want to go first class, go with vinyl, right. :-)

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm

The metal black and gold looks great in my opinion. What is under is old stained concrete. The brick parts that were added at the field entrances are still uncovered.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:47 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:38 pm
The metal black and gold looks great in my opinion. What is under is old stained concrete. The brick parts that were added at the field entrances are still uncovered.
This has been hashed out already...DG put the shiny black & gold metal signage upon his arrival for branding purposes. I think DG has demonstrated he knows what he's doing. The signs work great on TV and need to stay.

With that said, I like the idea of adding rhododendron's or "mountain laurel hedge" to fill in the gap that is currently our track. Possibly put the greenery up against the wall and move the black & gold signage on the inside closest to the players. It will be fun to see it all come together in the coming months and years. ...in DG we trust!

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 pm

If the seat covers are covering up something that can be fixed then fix it. Those covers look 2nd rate. DG is doing great. I liked the game day survey.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 am

Got to speak to a senior AD official over the break to share some thoughts he identicated many donors have shared similar perspectives.

Two largest areas of concern for me were exterior design to match existing facilities and replacement of general seating.

There was also significant discussion about the south hill being graded at a lower slope and widening the concourse.

There may be some loge seating included in the new club area as well. These are nice option for those that want the best of both worlds between a suite and club style seating.

One huge positive is a Yosef Club area back in the stadium setting, something we’ve desperately needed.

App91

Unread post by App91 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 pm
If the seat covers are covering up something that can be fixed then fix it. Those covers look 2nd rate. DG is doing great. I liked the game day survey.
Seat covers?

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:37 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 am
Got to speak to a senior AD official over the break to share some thoughts he identicated many donors have shared similar perspectives.

Two largest areas of concern for me were exterior design to match existing facilities and replacement of general seating.

There was also significant discussion about the south hill being graded at a lower slope and widening the concourse.

There may be some loge seating included in the new club area as well. These are nice option for those that want the best of both worlds between a suite and club style seating.

One huge positive is a Yosef Club area back in the stadium setting, something we’ve desperately needed.
I haven't been in the Yosef Club in 20 years. Been sticking to our tailgates. I might go if it's at the stadium

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:34 am

I grew up standing on Owens deck in the club room watching the team warm up and hoping the FG would sail into the deck. About twice a warmup it would I think the kicker enjoyed hitting someone with a drink.

Now we tailgate with two other families, but for rain games or late November games with small children we head inside.

Impactful memories for me at Owens.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:36 am

I quit taking people to the Yoclub many moons ago....miss the banter with opposing teams , and cheerleaders,although I might be too old for that now.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:36 am

I've never visited the YC at either of the last two locations, but will go when it moves back into the stadium.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 am

App91 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm
1ASU78 wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:57 pm
Seat covers?
Sorry. I was referring to the covers (signs) on the stadium walls at field level. I watched a vid of our new coach from Wofford and was reminded while small they have done a good job of making things look nice. And I love LOVE their black roofs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”