Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FCS Championship, JMU vs. NDSU, Noon, ESPN2

proasu89
School: Appalachian State

Re: FCS Championship, JMU vs. NDSU, Noon, ESPN2

Unread post by proasu89 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:55 pm

yosefederation wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:31 pm
After reading this whole thread, I still don't know who won or the score? Nice!
Ha! We don’t even post the score in our own game threads.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm

ncman071 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:58 pm
i dont want to play ANY decent FCS team. Certainly not NDSU or JMU...lets stick with teams that our guys can beat badly even if we bring our C game...It wont help us any by losing to a good FCS team
It won’t help us any to beat a good FCS team either. Better to schedule the cupcakes so we can work out kinks and or give the backups some playing time.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:29 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:37 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:07 pm
I had to search on espn to find the score to the game. No story on the front page. I had to scroll past our score from our win two weeks ago and put in FCS to finally find it.
I think I see what point you're trying to make, but the problem is your source of information is notorious for not knowing how the place relevant stories where they belong. "Ball brothers are set to play in Lithuania" was one of their headlines. Their articles are poorly written, and even their article comment sections are becoming lame.
Oh yeah. I understand that, but "NDSU beats JMU for FCS Title" should've been somewhere on the scroll down. All bowl games, over the last three weeks, were with no problem.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:16 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm
ncman071 wrote:
i dont want to play ANY decent FCS team. Certainly not NDSU or JMU...lets stick with teams that our guys can beat badly even if we bring our C game...It wont help us any by losing to a good FCS team
It won’t help us any to beat a good FCS team either. Better to schedule the cupcakes so we can work out kinks and or give the backups some playing time.
Bison fans are tools. Their board is full of posters claiming that they would have been favored over all of the teams in pre-Christmas bowl games.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 pm

What else is there to do to in North Dakota?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 pm

Predicted a decline in southeast FCS programs many years ago. There are SEVEN more FBS programs in a three state region compared to 10 years ago. The power at that level has shifted westward and I don’t predict it to change soon.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:33 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:17 pm
Predicted a decline in southeast FCS programs many years ago. There are SEVEN more FBS programs in a three state region compared to 10 years ago. The power at that level has shifted westward and I don’t predict it to change soon.
Not to mention a few extra FCS programs (i.e. Mercer, ETSU, KSU and Campbell offering scholarships). That's roughly 380-400 extra scholarships being offered from VA to GA and points in between.

Count me as someone who wouldn't mind playing JMU or NDSU. I don't mind App playing stiffer FCS competition and especially if they are willing to take the game at a discount similar to what App pays Sav St. Either team would travel well to KBS.

I understand everyone's reasoning about playing a cupcake for backups and beating a good FCS program doesn't help but those were the same reasons App fans heard from the likes of AFAM-U. If App loses to a FCS team, our guys should've been better prepared and executed better on the field. I have no problem paying homage to our FCS days or current FCS powers if it makes financial sense for App's program.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:18 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:16 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:03 pm
ncman071 wrote:
Bison fans are tools. Their board is full of posters claiming that they would have been favored over all of the teams in pre-Christmas bowl games.
We did the same. All they can do is speculate. Playing a full FBS schedule with FCS depth then playing a bowl game would narrow their being favored to a couple toss ups.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:38 am

NDSU would be in the top half of the MAC if they moved up, but they are on an island and that inn is full. JMU is another story, they hold out hope for a CUSA invite not realizing the difference between them and the SBC is minimal at best. JMU hasn’t felt the impact of Liberty going FBS yet either...

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 am

In case anyone needs a reminder: I was just listening to PGA Tour Radio on XM. One of the hosts is Greg Warmouth (sp) who is a TV sports anchor in Florida who should know better. They were talking about the UCF “national championship” and he goes into “do you know that tje NCAA does not award a national championship in division 1 football? They do in D2and D3 but but there is no official national championship in D1.”

Holy crap. I almost drove off the road, but that tells you where the fcs stands in most people’s minds, even long-time sportscasters.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 am

So do you think that the NCAA has the ability to create their own playoff of 8/16 teams to compete with the CFP? They could market it as the true college championship and package the TV rights to Fox Sports. It sounds crazy, but remember, the NIT was the preferred tournament until the NCAA started their own and eventually dwarfed the NIT.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:18 pm

The FCS ain't what it used to be folks.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:20 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:54 am
So do you think that the NCAA has the ability to create their own playoff of 8/16 teams to compete with the CFP? They could market it as the true college championship and package the TV rights to Fox Sports. It sounds crazy, but remember, the NIT was the preferred tournament until the NCAA started their own and eventually dwarfed the NIT.
The NCAA is the schools that make up the NCAA so until the schools gang up on the Prig5 and vote in a block it will not happen. Then the Prig5 most likely would up and leave, which, sadly, would destroy the NCAA, bacause the money would follow the Prig5. March Madness works in large part because of the Cinderella storyline each year that can live for a few weeks. A shame the Prig5 will not let that happen, and even the money distribution for March Madness really skews to the Prig5 already so not like they would need to worry about any real loss of $, God forbid.

Forgive my brashness, but between the UNC-CHeat scandal, and the Prig5 monopoly my only mantra for the Prig5 is now going to "F^$K 'Em." I'll enjoy my Great5 FB but bail out as soon as that is over each year. Do the same for all the NCAA sports. Prig5 only applies to Fb technically but I will extend it to all of DI sports. #BoycottCFP
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Serious question here. Who negotiates the TV deals? Does ESPN negotiate the contract with the NCAA or with the conferences themselves?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm

With conferences except for NCAA tournaments then NCAA I would think.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:44 pm
With conferences except for NCAA tournaments then NCAA I would think.
Thanks

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am

I watched the JMU / NDSU game Saturday....well, multi-tasking but I had it on. These are two good teams, but neither would have beaten App this past season if we played like we did in the last 4 games. If we played like we did against ULM, Texas State or UMass, we might have been in trouble. both had good D but neither of the Offenses really looked dazzling this year. If JMU had a couple of receivers who could hang onto the ball, they would have won. They left quite a few points on the field and killed several drives because of dropped passes that hit the receiver right in the hands. Their QB is pretty good (transfer from GT I think).

Either of these programs would be in the top half of most G5 conferences quickly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”