Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Falcons lower concession prices and in turn make more money. KBS could this work? Especially self serve sodas....

HighlandsApp
School: Appalachian State

Falcons lower concession prices and in turn make more money. KBS could this work? Especially self serve sodas....

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:27 pm

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2221 ... oncessions

Falcons lower concession prices and in turn make more money. Could this work at The Rock? Especially self serve sodas....

The only thing that seems really fair at KBS is the Woodlands BBQ sandwich for $6. The $4 water that we have is bad.... Why not sell $2 Cups and have self serve free ice and water? Maybe self serve soda fountains would also be a good idea and go back to selling everyone a plastic AppState cup?

What about gifting season ticket holders a special bottomless cup that they can bring back every game for free refills? Free sodas will lead to spending money on salty food.... Nice perk for YOSEF members with season tickets.

Interesting to see the revenue up but the increase in fan satisfaction is really HUGE!

WXAPP

Re: Falcons lower concession prices and in turn make more money. KBS could this work? Especially self serve sodas....

Unread post by WXAPP » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:03 pm

Reasonable suggestions.
Twitter: @wxcrum

BTK2000

Re: Falcons lower concession prices and in turn make more money. KBS could this work? Especially self serve sodas....

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm

I think the most important number to take away is the fact that there were 65% more point of sale areas rather than the pricing. If you give people more places to spend money they will spend it. I know I rarely go get a soada at the games because I don't want to sit in line for 20 min. The falcons also designed their concourses to make it easier to spend money which brought 6,000 more people into the game before kickoff. I love the rock but no matter the price is there is nothing to do but sit in the stands and wait for the band. I doubt lower prices would bring me in earlier.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm
I think the most important number to take away is the fact that there were 65% more point of sale areas rather than the pricing. If you give people more places to spend money they will spend it. I know I rarely go get a soada at the games because I don't want to sit in line for 20 min. The falcons also designed their concourses to make it easier to spend money which brought 6,000 more people into the game before kickoff. I love the rock but no matter the price is there is nothing to do but sit in the stands and wait for the band. I doubt lower prices would bring me in earlier.
Good point. It is so crowded under the stands that I try to avoid going back down there as well.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:40 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
Good point. It is so crowded under the stands that I try to avoid going back down there as well.
I'm hopeful the new expansion will tie the east and west concourses together. To me, the flow in the stadium is confusing and congested which prevents people from going to the concourse unless forced to.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:45 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:40 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:33 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
I'm hopeful the new expansion will tie the east and west concourses together. To me, the flow in the stadium is confusing and congested which prevents people from going to the concourse unless forced to.
I agree. Hopefully there will be a large concourse on the track a few steps below the current student sections that wraps all the way around three sides so that people in the lower stands can travel about without having to go under the stands. Plus in a big time home game this area can be standing room overflow for students and general admission.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:03 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:27 pm

What about gifting season ticket holders a special bottomless cup that they can bring back every game for free refills? Free sodas will lead to spending money on salty food.... Nice perk for YOSEF members with season tickets.
I know the school is all about sustainability, but the idea of a reusable cup does not sound good to me. You'd have to keep it with you throughout tailgate, keep track of it during the game once you've had your fill and then carry a wet/sticky cup back to your car.

What if you want to walk to get drinks or dinner afterwards? "Sorry guys, gotta go out of the way to stash my Black and Gold Big Gulp."

The better fan experience for unlimited sodas would be presenting your Yosef card for a new cup to use for a single game.

Now if it was a reusable beer stein I'd feel a little differently... :lol:

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm

BTK2000 wrote:
In the case of our stadium, I agree whole heartedly. I almost never buy anything at the games because I spend too much time in line and miss too much of the game. I am making about an 11 hour round trip to each game, no way am I going to miss anything once I am there. One time my wife HAD to have a ***** funnel cake. I had to go get it. the line was so long I almost missed an entire quarter. I told her never again. I would love to get a woodlands sandwich, but that involves a hike to the west stands and then standing in line, so no way. Make it more convenient with more vendor booths/stands and I would be more likely to spend a little money, but the way it is now, no way. Of course its still way better than the experience at GA State!

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Food and Beverage and Parking are in many cases one of the biggest revenue drivers for venues. We get our parking money from Yosef Club membership dues required to access parking.
Bottled water is a huge revenue source. $4 is not out of line with other venues. We want a new end zone, concourse, no track etc we have to have revenue. The most important thing we need is more points of sale that speed transactions and lessen lines.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am

There are a couple of keys to increasing revenue - 1) have a product people want to buy and 2) make it easy for people to spend their money. The second half of that formula is where we're missing out. I don't mind to pay extra for a bottle of water in the stadium. Typically, I'll just do without because I don't want to miss a chunk of the game waiting in line.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:58 am

I think when it comes to expanding KBS for functionality the concourse area is just as important as the seats/ field. We all know we can jam 36,000 people in that place but the Miami game was kind of miserable from a non game standpoint. The concourse hasn't really been updated/ expanded since 2006 and one of the biggest problems is the lines for the concessions under the main grandstand are in the way of people walking through. I have recently seen more 3rd party food trucks utilized behind the hill which makes me think athletics is aware of the overcrowding under the stands and utilizing a short term solution until they can fix it. Also, the bathroom behind the videoboard is nice but out of the way and under used which leads to the others being packed.

moral of the story is im finding problems with overcrowding that most programs dream of having.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:06 pm

One of the reasons they are so profitable off of lower prices is they are doing it all in house as opposed to contracting out. An entire middle man has been removed from the process at their new stadium.

pbscotts

Unread post by pbscotts » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Many games we refuse to be ripped off and pay $4 for water. Reduce the price and come out ahead. Don’t get me started on hot chocolate.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:20 pm

pbscotts wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:07 pm
Many games we refuse to be ripped off and pay $4 for water. Reduce the price and come out ahead. Don’t get me started on hot chocolate.
My only problem with the hot chocolate is that it should be called warm chocolate.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am

I couldn't make it to a game this year so I don't know what fixes they have tried. One easy band-aid would be to bring in separate drink only stations. Not side windows on the main concessions are but completely separate areas. These could be along the areas above the hill or in between the posts of the stands opposite the current concessions. Still sell drinks at the main concessions but all the hungover/drunk people just looking for a bottle of water or soda for their airplane bottles can go to the drink only stand.

I don't particularly want a walking area down below the student section. I could see that going bad really quickly. People would stand there the whole game defeating its original purpose and create a hazard. I also don't think its a good idea for anyone to be That close to the players on either team.

I would like to see a direct entrance to the home stands at the entrance to the stadium so that people don't have to walk underneath to get to their seats from the main gate. There isn't any big reason that there couldn't be a walkway directly to the middle walkway of the stands from that main gate area. There is nothing in the way.

I went to a braves game for the first time in their new park and I didn't have to wait in any line more than 2-3 deep because of the number of places to get things. Most of the concessions weren't large either, just medium to small kiosks spread fairly evenly around the stadium. I would hope once we loop the stands around the hill that something similar could be possible. Suntrust holds 41k so its an "ok" comparison.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:09 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 am
There are a couple of keys to increasing revenue - 1) have a product people want to buy and 2) make it easy for people to spend their money. The second half of that formula is where we're missing out. I don't mind to pay extra for a bottle of water in the stadium. Typically, I'll just do without because I don't want to miss a chunk of the game waiting in line.
Not that it is possible at KBS, but I liked the site lines from the Concourse at the Superdome. The vendors were set up so patrons could see the game while in line.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:09 pm

You sell more high profit margin concessions (drinks, popcorn, etc) when you offer free refills in "souvenir" cups or buckets at higher than standard price point. Theme parks have known this for years, and movie theaters and pro sports venues have learned this recently as well.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Is there a self serve ice machine big enough???

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:41 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:48 pm
BTK2000 wrote:
In the case of our stadium, I agree whole heartedly. I almost never buy anything at the games because I spend too much time in line and miss too much of the game. I am making about an 11 hour round trip to each game, no way am I going to miss anything once I am there. One time my wife HAD to have a ***** funnel cake. I had to go get it. the line was so long I almost missed an entire quarter. I told her never again. I would love to get a woodlands sandwich, but that involves a hike to the west stands and then standing in line, so no way. Make it more convenient with more vendor booths/stands and I would be more likely to spend a little money, but the way it is now, no way. Of course its still way better than the experience at GA State!
What is it with wives and having "to have a funnel cake"? To think of all the moments I have missed waiting in line for Dippin Dots and funnel cakes.

Good thing about New Orleans is I took her and the kids for beinets at Cafe Du Monde everyday so they would get their funnel cake fix for a while.
The Appalachian State

9Steelman

Unread post by 9Steelman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:20 pm

3 other examples: Even after lower taxes, Fed Gov has largest amount of incoming revenue currently, Richard Petty and David Pearson learn early sometimes you can slow down and have faster lap speeds, $25 for ticket and free food at App BB game, ridiculous, Should have given away game tickets to increase concession sales and attendance!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”