Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Quarterbacks

ComebackShack
School: Appalachian State

The Quarterbacks

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:40 am

Anyone have any reports on how they are looking? We got a 3 way race with Zac Thomas being the front runner due to depth chart last year and playing time, Jacob Huesman who had very little playing time and was 3rd on the depth chart, and freshman Stephon Brown who has been hyped on this board but reportedly looked poor in the East-West HS game.

Any reports or insights so far from two days of practice?

AppSt94

Re: The Quarterbacks

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 am

Don't forget about Peyton Derrick.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am

It's a four man race. I've asked the question and am told..."It's too early to say anything other than we are in really good shape" at that position.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 am

I went to an event last week with Coach Satt and Doug G. Satt said it's anyone's race but that ZT would be very difficult to unseat as the #1 at this point. Coach said he was fast, smart, and had a big arm.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 am

Having four young capable guys to fill in for TL is a good problem to have.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 am

I said it before : "Brown gets a RS and time to improve fundamentals and learn the system"

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:24 am

Stonewall wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:39 am
It's a four man race. I've asked the question and am told..."It's too early to say anything other than we are in really good shape" at that position.
That’s good enough for me right now!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 am

Gonzo wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:40 am
I went to an event last week with Coach Satt and Doug G. Satt said it's anyone's race but that ZT would be very difficult to unseat as the #1 at this point. Coach said he was fast, smart, and had a big arm.
I don't want anyone to take what I'm about to say wrong: But, something tells me that ZT is probably as good as, if not better, than TL. Remember, our best kicker sat on the bench until mid season last year. Anyway, once again, I have a feeling that ZT is going to be special! Time will tell. :D

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:14 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:35 am
Gonzo wrote:
I don't want anyone to take what I'm about to say wrong: But, something tells me that ZT is probably as good as, if not better, than TL. Remember, our best kicker sat on the bench until mid season last year. Anyway, once again, I have a feeling that ZT is going to be special! Time will tell. :D
I don't think that is an unfair statement.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 pm

What I don't get is if ZT has such a live arm, why didn't he ever get a chance to show it in the limited time he saw the field? Whenever he was in, we never went deep. I know it was mop up time but still, let the kids play and show what they got.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:05 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:17 pm
What I don't get is if ZT has such a live arm, why didn't he ever get a chance to show it in the limited time he saw the field? Whenever he was in, we never went deep. I know it was mop up time but still, let the kids play and show what they got.
Probably to keep it off of game film.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:45 pm

t4pizza wrote:
Just not Satt's philosophy I don't think. We're run-first anyway - he's definitely not looking to throw bombs when we're up 40.

TBH, I don't know that there are many teams throwing deep balls during mop-up time.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:45 pm
t4pizza wrote:
Just not Satt's philosophy I don't think. We're run-first anyway - he's definitely not looking to throw bombs when we're up 40.

TBH, I don't know that there are many teams throwing deep balls during mop-up time.
East Mississippi is the only one that comes to mind. :lol:

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Hope they all learn to make accurate throws, and learn to put some touch on certain routes to ensure they are catchable balls. TL did not have a big arm but he could throw an accurate and catchable ball.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:48 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
As an athlete it's likely that Thomas is ahead of Lamb, but I doubt he is as good a QB at this point. I'd be very surprised if Thomas puts up 31 passing TDs this season like Lamb did as a RS Soph. People were very hard on Taylor because of his limitations physically, but his football IQ was off the chart good and I think that's going to be much harder to replace than people realize.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 pm

As documented, I was one of the TO critics, but his IQ was unquestionable I am concerned about the new guys underbcenter and the increased potential for turnovers.... obviously not something we had to worry about with tL..
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm

As documented, I was one of the TL critics (Not as negative as perceived), but his IQ was unquestionable I am concerned about the new guys underbcenter and the increased potential for turnovers.... obviously not something we had to worry about with TL..
The Appalachian State

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Maybe an upside to one of these QBs will be some fearlessness out of the gate at Penn State with a willingness to go deep occasionally and let our receivers make a play. If you have a strong arm then use it to stretch the D and make them know you can and will throw the long ball.

In a RPO offense the QB owns the decision to pull it and drop a long ball. As long as he executes well, the uncertainty of a young, new and unpredictable QB may serve us well and keep opposing D's on their heels.

I look forward to it.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:05 pm

TheMackAttack wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:48 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Gonzo wrote:
As an athlete it's likely that Thomas is ahead of Lamb, but I doubt he is as good a QB at this point. I'd be very surprised if Thomas puts up 31 passing TDs this season like Lamb did as a RS Soph. People were very hard on Taylor because of his limitations physically, but his football IQ was off the chart good and I think that's going to be much harder to replace than people realize.
Coming out of the gate, early season, ZT is going to have some catching up to do. But, by mid season or sooner I predict he will (let's say) be TL's equal or better. Once again, time will tell.

AppStateBMG

Unread post by AppStateBMG » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:28 pm

Thomas, Huesman, and Derrick all have a much better grasp on the playbook right now than Brown. But if Brown surpasses expectations in the film room, in the weight room, and on the practice field will the coaches delay the inevitable and go with a more experienced signal caller? We probably won’t know until September 1st in Happy Valley!

FWIW, I’ve heard from a few people close to the program that Satterfield and the coaching staff believe that Brown has a very realistic shot at winning the starting job.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”