Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Matt McMahon

Seattleapp
School: Appalachian State

Matt McMahon

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 am

Perusing the inter web today and noticed Murray State is 22-5 under head coach Matt McMahon. I don’t know if this has been discussed before but as we continue to flounder around as a program, can anyone tell me why we did not hire him over Fox?

APPARJ

Re: Matt McMahon

Unread post by APPARJ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 am
Perusing the inter web today and noticed Murray State is 22-5 under head coach Matt McMahon. I don’t know if this has been discussed before but as we continue to flounder around as a program, can anyone tell me why we did not hire him over Fox?
Extremely poor decision making by the Athletics Director at the time. :cry:
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:59 am

Charlie Cobb

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am

If Cobb had hired him, that would mean admitting to the mistake of not hiring him over Capel the first go round.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 am

Yes, this dead horse has been beaten to a pulp.
Charlie Cobb let “people who matter” talk him into hiring a tarheel for head coach because hiring a former UNCheat player was a sexy hire for App.
McMahon who had been on staff much longer and played at App was snubbed for HC, so naturally and quite understandably left to persue better career opportunities.
We chose wrong,Cobb gambled and App nation lost, big time, and we are still feeling the effects today and continue to try and dig out of the hole that era dug

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 am

I think the question is actually why we didn't hire him over Capel. That was the horrible decision that resulted in a rift. I don't think Matt would have been interested in working under Cobb after that (based on rumor).

Fox has done a lot of positive things. I understand the frustration with the on-court results but I still have some hope that we are poised for good things. I don't think we need to take every opportunity to cast dispersions.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 am
I think the question is actually why we didn't hire him over Capel. That was the horrible decision that resulted in a rift. I don't think Matt would have been interested in working under Cobb after that (based on rumor).

Fox has done a lot of positive things. I understand the frustration with the on-court results but I still have some hope that we are poised for good things. I don't think we need to take every opportunity to cast dispersions.
Murray State had a losing record last season in mcMahons first season. 22-5 this year. We are still begging for crumbs when we on the rare occasion don’t competely embarrass ourselves on the court. I’d love for us to be good under fox but I’ve yet to see an consistency as a team or an identity for that matter. It’s just frustrating to know that we couldn’t compete in the so con or the big south, much less he sun belt

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 am

Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am
Yosef84 wrote:

Murray State had a losing record last season in mcMahons first season. 22-5 this year. We are still begging for crumbs when we on the rare occasion don’t competely embarrass ourselves on the court. I’d love for us to be good under fox but I’ve yet to see an consistency as a team or an identity for that matter. It’s just frustrating to know that we couldn’t compete in the so con or the big south, much less he sun belt
McMahon was also the head assistant for Steve Prohm before Prohm left Murray State for Iowa State. So, Matt had knowledge of the players, had players that fit the system already, didn't have APR issues all over the place, and was coming off a team that was 29-6 -- 4 years removed from a 31-2 and top 10 season.

The comparison for Fox at App and McMahon at Murray State isn't close to valid. I understand the frustrations but we knew going into the Fox hire, it was going to take a good 5 seasons to get everything back on track. Fox was literally handed a bottom 10 D1 basketball program.

I have been on record saying this to friends so I will say it here as well.. we will be a top tier sun belt team next year.. and wouldn't be surprised if we make a run in the sun belt tournament this year.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:26 am
Seattleapp wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 am
Yosef84 wrote:

McMahon was also the head assistant for Steve Prohm before Prohm left Murray State for Iowa State. So, Matt had knowledge of the players, had players that fit the system already, didn't have APR issues all over the place, and was coming off a team that was 29-6 -- 4 years removed from a 31-2 and top 10 season.

The comparison for Fox at App and McMahon at Murray State isn't close to valid. I understand the frustrations but we knew going into the Fox hire, it was going to take a good 5 seasons to get everything back on track. Fox was literally handed a bottom 10 D1 basketball program.

I have been on record saying this to friends so I will say it here as well.. we will be a top tier sun belt team next year.. and wouldn't be surprised if we make a run in the sun belt tournament this year.
I want some of what you're having! :P

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:57 am

As noted, the question of why we didn't hire him is well-worn ground, but I AM glad to see him doing well. He did have a so-so first couple years (this is his third year, not his second), but seems to be really breaking out now. Hopefully they win their conference tourney. I'd love to see him in the big dance and I expect they'd give some 4 or 5 seed all the want.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 am

Yosef84 wrote:
one rumor (I think from someone at Davidson) was that is was McMahon's job to turn down when Fox was hired, making it sound like they were the 2 finalists, although there may be very little validity to that. Neither one of their names were circulating on hoop dirt or anywhere else in the weeks leading up to the hire. I remember Bobby Lutz (who soon withdrew his name to stay at State), Dugger Baucom, Mike Young, Darrin Horn, an assistant at Richmond, and an assistant at UVA being mentioned. I was pretty excited/intrigued to get Fox, just based on his longevity at Davidson with some really good teams. Honestly, I still have hope, based on the returning players next year, but we need to find a solid post player to accompany Seacat and Ike Johnson, after the departure of Kinney.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am

Unless someone leaves, we won't have a scholly. We'll have to cover Hunter Seacat, Joe Battle and Mike Bibby with grants.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

RollNeers

Unread post by RollNeers » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:47 am

tumblr_ns9rmhX7LS1uxle3jo1_1280.gif

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:03 pm

Previous 5 coaches as Murray State:

Mark Gottfried: 68-24
Tevester Anderson: 103-52
Mick Cronin: 69-24
Billy Kennedy: 107-53
Steve Prohm: 104-29

I don’t think I need to list out the record of Apps past 5 coaches for you to know we have been no where near as successful a program for the last 20 years and change. I don’t think you can make an accurate comparison here.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm

asu66 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:30 am
Unless someone leaves, we won't have a scholly. We'll have to cover Hunter Seacat, Joe Battle and Mike Bibby with grants.
Kinney and Hinton graduate, and Hough, Ford, and Kerley are walk-ons....that leaves us 2 scolly spots for next year.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:14 pm

app97 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm
asu66 wrote:
Kinney and Hinton graduate, and Hough, Ford, and Kerley are walk-ons....that leaves us 2 scolly spots for next year.
One.

Battle, Bibby, and Seacat are already covered.
firemoose wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 pm
firemoose wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 pm

PG Adrian Delph (6' 3" 185) of Kings Mountain High School in Kings Mountain, NC has given his verbal commit to Appalachian. The NC guard committed to App over reported offers from Gardner Webb, Hampton, and Radford.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/adrian-delph

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/2 ... uaa-finals

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm

firemoose wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:14 pm
app97 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm
asu66 wrote:
One.

Battle, Bibby, and Seacat are already covered.
firemoose wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 pm
firemoose wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:48 pm

PG Adrian Delph (6' 3" 185) of Kings Mountain High School in Kings Mountain, NC has given his verbal commit to Appalachian. The NC guard committed to App over reported offers from Gardner Webb, Hampton, and Radford.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/adrian-delph

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/2 ... uaa-finals

yep, forgot about Delph. There is one post player, 6'8" 250, Corey Boyd out of St. Louis on verbal commits on our radar, but we are his only offer. I'm sure there are more possibilities that none of us know of at this point.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:37 pm

Got around 6 or so "offers" still showing between the multiple sites. I know of four I'm sure of that were offered but how many are still committable is something I haven't asked about recently. Been covered up trying to get other stuff done but I'll check it out and see exactly who we still are looking at. Will post it in the Lodge.

TheMackAttack

Unread post by TheMackAttack » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

asu66 wrote:
Battle
Bibby
Cottrell
Forrest
Holley
I. Johnson
T. Johnson
Seacat
Shabazz
Williams
Wilson

Am I missing somebody? You get 13 scholarships in basketball. We have 11 returners plus Delph leaving one open spot I think.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm

TheMackAttack wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm
asu66 wrote:
Battle
Bibby
Cottrell
Forrest
Holley
I. Johnson
T. Johnson
Seacat
Shabazz
Williams
Wilson

Am I missing somebody? You get 13 scholarships in basketball. We have 11 returners plus Delph leaving one open spot I think.
One spot is right. I posted it above in the 3:14 pm post that was answering 97's reply to 66'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”