Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Matt McMahon

mountaineerman
School: Appalachian State

Re: Matt McMahon

Unread post by mountaineerman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 am

APPpines wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 am
Not only could we have had Matt McMahon ... we could have also hired Pat Kelsey who I believe is about to win his third straight Big South regular season title at Winthrop. Pat Kelsey is going to get a bigtime job soon and he wanted the App job bad.Charlie Cobb is the worst AD in the history of college sports.The Capel hire should go down as the most stupid hire ever in the history of college basketball. I like Coach Fox and I hope he and the Apps can get on a run here at the end and make some noise in the conference tournament. Go Apps

.”Charlie Cobb is the worst AD in the history of college sports”
Hardly this statement. Things were instantly better When Cobb took over ..football attendance skyrocketed,pushed us to FBS,hired what will probably be the best coach to ever coach football at App when it’s said and done. Yes he made some equally bad decisions.. but hardly this lol.
Last edited by mountaineerman on Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:26 am

APPpines wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 am
Not only could we have had Matt McMahon ... we could have also hired Pat Kelsey who I believe is about to win his third straight Big South regular season title at Winthrop. Pat Kelsey is going to get a bigtime job soon and he wanted the App job bad. Charlie Cobb is the worst AD in the history of college sports. The Capel hire should go down as the most stupid hire ever in the history of college basketball. I like Coach Fox and I hope he and the Apps can get on a run here at the end and make some noise in the conference tournament. Go Apps !!!!!
speaking of Kelsey, I just checked his twitter feed. Now, there is a guy who is marketing/promoting the heck out of his product in creative ways...

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:40 am

One other plus for hiring Matt, his coaching learning tree was Fancher/Peterson. He could have kept the terms and the style and put his spin on it alot faster than other hires.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:03 pm

While he didn't inherit quite the mess Jim Fox did, Buzz Williams became Va Tech's coach in the same year as Fox after a 9-22 season under James Johnson. The two new coaches met in the first year with Fox and the Apps prevailing in Blacksburg. Since that time, Williams and the Hokies have reached 20 wins each year. So, I don't think it unfair to expect next year to be more than a decent campaign on the hardwood for Fox and company. The talent will abound and this will be a very experienced bunch.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:00 pm

It can be done.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Furman was in a situation similar or worse than App. And hired their coach about the same time we hired Fox. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/furman/

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 pm

swva appfan wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:09 pm
wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:14 pm
D2 King College in Bristol is offering a scholarship to a 6’8” player from right over in SWVa averaging 20 PPG. Who remembers King? (we lost to them at home just in case you don’t remember). But we’re offering a kid from St Louis and it’s his only offer?
I’m being a little facetious about King College but I’m not sold after four years about our talent evaluation.
Being from the area I can only guess the kid going to King has not seen the talent level the kid from STL has. Having said that... I understand App has taking a hit with recruiting since 2010 however, I cannot help but to look back at all the coaches who have came in after some bad years and turned things around in 1-2 years and believe strongly it can be done in less time than 5 years.
Under a better/different set of circumstances, it might have been done in two or three years. You're forgetting that Fox took over a sinking APR ship--something that was completely foreign to his experience and to App's identity. That's in the rear-view mirror now. It's everybody's job to move on with Fox leading in the hot seat. I'm sure he's been told what he has to accomplish to earn a new contract.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:16 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm
Furman was in a situation similar or worse than App. And hired their coach about the same time we hired Fox. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/furman/
what 66 said above.....APR issues (don't believe Furman had them) and multiple off the court issues with players that were not a part of App's identity sinks the ship much deeper than wins/losses alone.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm

UNCW was a dumpster fire when Buzz was firer the same day Capel was let go. Kevin Keatts turned them around very quickly

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:08 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm
UNCW was a dumpster fire when Buzz was firer the same day Capel was let go. Kevin Keatts turned them around very quickly
Keatts appears to be a good one, and someone who could rise to a major program quickly, although he's already in the ACC. UNCW doesn't have football, so bball is a higher priority. Did they get into an APR mess under Buzz?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Fox faced a mess four years ago. No one denies that. But, he's had three other classes come in since the first. His first year still remains his best record-wise including a road ACC win. Next year has to be a complete turn around or there are no more excuses.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:44 pm

I wonder if the God only knows how many powerful coaches who will soon be fired will coach again... and will they do so in the NBA or coach mid majors?

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:52 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:32 pm
You know very well that ADs deal with the unofficial Coaching Talent/Experience/Salary Expectation Hierarchy every time they have a head coaching vacancy in any sport. Buzz's two-year buyout at Wilmington was just pennies short of $1 million smacks. Keats started with the Seahawks for a base salary of $300,000 and was making $600,000 when he departed for MooU. Fox started at App for a base salary of $200,000 and was making just $224,200 according to the 2016-17 UNC System Salary Database.

Appsolutely no disrespect toward any individual, anywhere is intended, but there's a reason for the above salary-differential. You usually get the talent you're willing or able to pay for. App has forever cut corners on about anything basketball-related. Historically, our program has suffered in direct correlation to the corner-cutting. Fingers-crossed that this will have a happy ending in the '17 Fun Belt Tourney and next season, but proof is required.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 pm

I also do not wish to sound disrespectful. Apologies in advance if this comes across that way. But what is the salary difference between App Coach Fox and UNCA Coach McDevitt in his 5th year. And the basketball budget. And the athletic Dept budget. I don’t know the answer to these questions. But I can speculate.

And as for the rationalization that some on this board continue to make that we can’t compare ourselves to programs like UNCA and Furman I say really? Really? it’s a sad day for me when we have chosen to believe that we’re not on the same level and make excuses why our program doesn’t rise to the level as the schools like UNCA and Furman.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:52 am

wncapp78 wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:50 pm
I also do not wish to sound disrespectful. Apologies in advance if this comes across that way. But what is the salary difference between App Coach Fox and UNCA Coach McDevitt in his 5th year. And the basketball budget. And the athletic Dept budget. I don’t know the answer to these questions. But I can speculate.

And as for the rationalization that some on this board continue to make that we can’t compare ourselves to programs like UNCA and Furman I say really? Really? it’s a sad day for me when we have chosen to believe that we’re not on the same level and make excuses why our program doesn’t rise to the level as the schools like UNCA and Furman.
Hard to know for sure, but I think this year’s App team would probably place at around the same placement as UNCA in the Big South and FU in the Socon, or at least close. I see more talent in the sun belt, but anything can happpen on any given night. There really are no excuses after this year with our returning squad, but I still think that comparing our program to private schools or schools without football is almost apples to oranges, despite the athletic budgets.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:22 pm

I agree anything can happen on any given day. But I’ve watched Furman and UNCA several times. We don’t have their talent. We have lost this year and last year, back to back years, to the 7th Place team in the SoCon WCU. Furman bested them in Cullowhee last night by 20. So let’s compare ourselves to Western. 0-2 in last two years. And we had no trouble comparing ourselves to private schools without football all the years we were in the SoCon.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:30 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:22 pm
I agree anything can happen on any given day. But I’ve watched Furman and UNCA several times. We don’t have their talent. We have lost this year and last year, back to back years, to the 7th Place team in the SoCon WCU. Furman bested them in Cullowhee last night by 20. So let’s compare ourselves to Western. 0-2 in last two years. And we had no trouble comparing ourselves to private schools without football all the years we were in the SoCon.
WCU has hovered around 5th in the socon all year, but just dropped behind Mercer to 6th. I was at both WCU games the last couple years, and agree that we had no business losing to them. To be fair though, Larry hunter does an admirable job with the talent he has at his disposable. He a slowed the pace way down in both games since they couldn’t run with us, and it worked. I disagree about UNCA and FU having more talent than us, although it might be close. I do think those teams have more balance though. I’ve seen both of them and wofford in person this year. Wofford has recruited a few players in common with us lately, and might have more talent than the aforementioned squads, yet they sit a game behind Furman in the Socon. I think that all of the teams you mentioned do play better defense and have more balance, and are more consistent, just not necessarily more talented, which brings up coaching. Also, WCU doesn’t really have football either :). I guess my point about apples and oranges relates to even more resources being poured into football than ever as an FBS school. We aren’t the same school as we were in the socon days. Again, no excuses really. We will never know what might have been possible had McMahon been hired in 2009 or 2014, but I can’t see us being a basketball powerhouse even if a different coaching decision had been made.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Back to the guy whose name is in the subject line - McMahon has Murray State in the tournament after winning the OVC Tournament today. At 26-5, they’ll probably get about a 12 seed and be a handful for somebody.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 am

26-5 is a 12 seed?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am

Congratulations to Matt. I remember the first time he hit the floor , as a player .Overachiever and that continues . As to the SoCon , I see four teams that would beat us soundly outside of an "in the zone"shooting night. Good players , well coached,little depth. WCU got blown out last night and we've lost two in a row to them as everyone is well aware. I don't think we would fair too well against the top two or three of the Big South although they are a step below UNCG,ETSU,FU and Wofford. Maybe next year we turn the corner....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”