Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Matt McMahon

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Matt McMahon

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 am
26-5 is a 12 seed?
Give or take a line, yes. You disagree?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:57 am
Congratulations to Matt. I remember the first time he hit the floor , as a player .Overachiever and that continues . As to the SoCon , I see four teams that would beat us soundly outside of an "in the zone"shooting night. Good players , well coached,little depth. WCU got blown out last night and we've lost two in a row to them as everyone is well aware. I don't think we would fair too well against the top two or three of the Big South although they are a step below UNCG,ETSU,FU and Wofford. Maybe next year we turn the corner....
Maybe next year turn the corner? You do realize we just finished in 5th place in a 12 team Conference where we have been the cellar-dweller for years. We also had more Conference wins this year than the last 2 combined.

Still a big leap needed to get to where we all want to be, but from where this program has been - I’d say that the ‘17/‘18 season has been “turning the corner.”
Last edited by AppDawg on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 am

Stonewall wrote:
Congratulations to Matt. I remember the first time he hit the floor , as a player .Overachiever and that continues . As to the SoCon , I see four teams that would beat us soundly outside of an "in the zone"shooting night. Good players , well coached,little depth. WCU got blown out last night and we've lost two in a row to them as everyone is well aware. I don't think we would fair too well against the top two or three of the Big South although they are a step below UNCG,ETSU,FU and Wofford. Maybe next year we turn the corner....
I now pretty much agree with this after seeing every socon tourney game yesterday, just based on our style of play and energy. However, these teams always look better and more energized during tournament play...they know its make or break time and they feed off of the tournament excitement and crowd. We did this as well in the socon when I watched a couple of times during the capel era...his second to last year we led Davidson most of game and knocked off charelston the year before. My only observations of App the last few years have been in Boone with a dismal unenergeric crowd and in cullowhee this year. Also, I will say that the socon tournament energy and atmosphere appears superior to the sun belt tournament, probably because of the many schools/alums driving proximity and its all on a weekend. The ETSU crowd was vocal and they came out in droves to Asheville.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 am

Also, I’m a bit jealous that wofford has had a guy like Mike Young stick around for all these years. I love the way his teams play. Wes Miller has really found his stride at UNCG as well. I would guess that the ETSU coach will move on to greener pastures in the near future, and the Furman coach also seems to have a really good handle on things and is blessed with a veteran team that plays really hard for him. All of those teams play hard and are well coached.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 pm

AppDawg wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:04 am
Stonewall wrote:
Maybe next year turn the corner? You do realize we just finished in 5th place in a 12 team Conference where we have been the cellar-dweller for years. We also had more Conference wins this year than the last 2 combined.

Still a big leap needed to get to where we all want to be, but from where this program has been - I’d say that the ‘17/‘18 season has been “turning the corner.”
Think that depends on whether we see continued improvement next year. 9-9 in conference is real progress. 12-17 overall vs. D1 is... well, it kind of speaks for itself.

Question is, do we take that next step to become a real contender next year?

Of course we could always just win the SBC tourney this week too... :)

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:04 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:58 am
Saint3333 wrote:
26-5 is a 12 seed?
I’ve watched less ten non-App basketball games this year, but maybe the OVC is weaker if their five loss team gets a 12 seed.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:59 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:04 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
26-5 is a 12 seed?
I’ve watched less ten non-App basketball games this year, but maybe the OVC is weaker if their five loss team gets a 12 seed.
That’s also where ULL projects should they win the Sun Belt tourney.

For comparison, the 30 win Little Rock team that beat Purdue a couple years ago was a 12 seed.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:02 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:59 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
26-5 is a 12 seed?

For comparison, the 30 win Little Rock team that beat Purdue a couple years ago was a 12 seed.
The 12 line is where the commitee puts all the good G5/midmajors that should be rated higher except for the bias inherent in the system that fills the 7-10 lines mediocre P5s. That's why 12 seed win a majority of their matchups.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:13 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 pm
AppDawg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Think that depends on whether we see continued improvement next year. 9-9 in conference is real progress. 12-17 overall vs. D1 is... well, it kind of speaks for itself.

Question is, do we take that next step to become a real contender next year?

Of course we could always just win the SBC tourney this week too... :)
Definitely agree with overall record. Though I have seen improvements since those “bad” early season losses.

Compounding my thoughts is our conference situation and being a single bid league - I don’t get a worked up over non-conference losses... guess I have a bit of a stAte footballesque mentality regarding Basketball. Meaning for us only the Conference games really matter. Do well in Conference, win tourney and in. As such, the non-conf losses to me yeah they sting, but they aren’t as detrimental. With that mindset, yeah i think we have turned the corner.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Loyola just won its 28th game and its conference championship from the 8th rated conference (MVC) and they are likely a 12th seed. Of course, historically the 12th seeds have fared pretty well in the tournament.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:16 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:02 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:59 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
26-5 is a 12 seed?

The 12 line is where the commitee puts all the good G5/midmajors that should be rated higher except for the bias inherent in the system that fills the 7-10 lines mediocre P5s. That's why 12 seed win a majority of their matchups.
It's true that 12 is around the cutoff for the top auto bid teams. However it's less an inherent bias as the fact that teams at that line don't rank as high either in RPI (which does have a power-conference bias) or efficiency ratings (which do not).

When a mid-major team stacks up in those areas, they get seeded higher. (See Gonzaga, Butler, etc. many times.)

Murray State is a good team, but they've beaten zero teams in the RPI top 50 (or top 75 for that matter) and have bad losses to St. Louis and Jacksonville State. Their win over Belmont yesterday was the best one they've had this year. They're #54 in RPI, #58 in kenpom. That's why they won't be seeded higher.

With all that said - again, I expect they'll be a tough opponent for whoever they draw.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:14 am

AppDawg wrote:
Stonewall wrote:

Yes , I "realize " all of the above. I also watched this team give away half a dozen games. Give away. There appear to be 3 or 4 decent teams in our 12 team conference. We are mediocre .Hey I'm thankful we didn't finish worse.Good coaches have turned programs around in 3 years ,even at Appalachian .We are ending year 4 . I hope we win out in New Orleans. If not it will take a top 4 finish ,not repeating the same game costing mistakes repeatedly and beating teams like Western Carolina next year before I sign up with the "we've turned it around " crowd.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 am

We have not turned anything around. We have made a little progress. In a weak basketball conference. Mountains still to climb.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:58 pm

It is interesting that folks on this board still pine over the Capel (or not McMahon) decision. This is an 8 year old decision and basically everybody involved are gone and we have a new management trying to clean this up and make use relevant again. Yes the Capel hire was no doubt a BAD decision in retrospect but programs/schools make bad decisions all the time. The key is how you react. But also, who knows what Matt would have done at App had he been HC. I think we can ALL agree it would have to be better than Capel but would Matt have been the savior? Don't know. We also made a bad decision to hire Mike Working in 1980 but the difference is we got off the mat and turned it around quickly. Folks you have to let the McMahon thing go and let's move on.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Capel and Working is not a bad comparison in retrospect. Hope that basketball turns it around and goes on a run like we have had in football since 1983.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Hunter is stepping down at WCU.Got to give him his due , very little to work with yet had them on the cusp of NCAA bids a few years back. Did make a couple of post season appearances... left on a winning streak against us too .

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:00 am

Stonewall wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:24 pm
Hunter is stepping down at WCU.Got to give him his due , very little to work with yet had them on the cusp of NCAA bids a few years back. Did make a couple of post season appearances... left on a winning streak against us too .
Hunter is a fine gentleman and a fine coach...excellent Xs and Os coach...his players are always good in the classroom and in citizenship. Hunter is in the top 10 in total wins among active NCAA coaches...over the career 700 win mark his earlier this season. The kitty cats can only dream of getting another coach of his caliber.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm

Don’t be surprised if WCU makes a strong play for Nick McDevitt from UNCA.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:37 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm
As they should. There's also a number of successful D2 coaches within driving distance they can go after. I don't think a big-time assistant coach would fit well at Western.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:12 pm
Why would he want to go there? Honest question. Does WCU have that much more of a budget to pay him? Also, he played at UNCA. Would seem strange for him to leave his alma mater and make a lateral move down I-40.

Anquell McCollum and Brigham Waginger have been on staff at WCU for a long time and both played there, not sure that would fit the bill though, unless it’s a situation where Hunter has a say and highly recommends one of them. Also, former UNCA player and coach, Brett Carey (now at Indiana State) could be an up and coming coach.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”