Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fan Involvment at Basketball Games

Rekdiver
School: Appalachian State

Fan Involvment at Basketball Games

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:30 am

Being in Charlotte it's not been convenient to get to basketball games, but I made the game with my wife and some friends yesterday. Some observations from my wife and I. We know it's Spring Break but the crowd was dead. I yelled one time and people looked at me like it was a tennis match. The recognition by the crowd pre game of the 3 seniors was embarrassing and tepid. The introduction music is lacking and uninspiring and the announcer who has a good voice needs some new material and some enthusiasm. Only a couple times did the crowd respond to plays. Oh and the Yosef Club area had folks enjoying their conversations sipping on their drinks while the game was going on. And lastly why are the Pershing rifles not having a color guard present the Colors and some talented person sing the National Anthem or the Pep Band play it?
We mave have small crowds but we need to change the culture of those that come.

Stonewall

Re: Fan Involvment at Basketball Games

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:43 am

You make a good point -culture. Other than the Yosef Club comment I agree. If it's open during the game that's what it's there for, socializing. We really haven't had a good basketball culture or identity in a long time, starts on the court .If there was excitement and consistency, it would change. Maybe next year we turn the corner.I hope so.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 am

First game I had gotten to this season and I enjoyed it. I even caught one of the parachute cows. My granddaughter...who is a Frosh at Cullowhere....enjoyed it too. The music was disappointing. I was hoping for SAIL or other pieces we hear at The Rock. Pierre was rocking a mauve suit with a pink tie on ESPN 3. DJ was there. Holmes Ctr. had competition from baseball and softball games on campus. That and Spring Break caused some of the attendance problems.....Kenny was beast in the Paint. The Stripes were mixed. One had his possession call overruled. They missed a bunch of traveling calls until the 2nd half. App had a good day on the court, on the diamonds and on the mat in Chucktown. Great day to be styling Black and Gold!

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:25 am

I know that student and alum attendance will likely move up as we begin to win again but came across this article and found it pretty interesting as to how student engagement can be built.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/grand-c ... an-majerle

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:38 am

The Yosef Club area needs to go. Too close to the court during a game to socialize. They definitely deserve perks and I thank them for their support but that area is out of place during a game.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am

appfanjj wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:38 am
The Yosef Club area needs to go. Too close to the court during a game to socialize. They definitely deserve perks and I thank them for their support but that area is out of place during a game.
Yup. I’ve never heard of another school doing this. It just looks awkward.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:52 am

MDaniels84 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:25 am
I know that student and alum attendance will likely move up as we begin to win again but came across this article and found it pretty interesting as to how student engagement can be built.

That's awesome. It can be done.

APPRIDE

Unread post by APPRIDE » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:19 am

MDaniels84 wrote:

wow, that’s awesome.

May not get there in basketball anytime soon but we were there for a couple 3 years in Football during the run...but all that has returned to a more mundane “marketing” led game day...

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:05 pm

I took in the Davidson game Friday night since I was getting my daughter for the start of spring break. They are a basketball school of course and we are a football school.

They did not have a sellout but were offering alums $5 tickets and everyone got a t-thirt. Not a sell out but I guess 4,000 plus out of 5,100+ capacity.

A few random thoughts

Sweet Caroline was sung by the crowd at Davidson, they were into it and then the energy carried over to the close game.

Maybe put a curtain around the upper section. I know the seats are covered but it still feels empty. The Greensboro Colisuem uses a curtain when they can't fill all 20,000+ seats and they go with about 12,000 or so. That might help with the mood and a certain could be angled to deal with camera views. And with the center board we dont' need to see the one wall scoreboard up high. (Am I the only one bothered with the App and visitor score on different sides than what is shown on the sideline scoreboard opposite the bench.)

I would just as soon never have the national anthem at a sporting event, but I also know I am in the minority on that. It does seem odd ROTC does not do something for the dozen home games we have. What we had yesterday was barely a notch above what I did for high school softball when I was the announcer the last two years at my daughter's school, and what I did was better than some other high schools did for softball since they did not have a PA system worth using, so I was trying to be professional about it as much as I did not care to do it.

I liked the dance at the halftime show but I have also enjoyed the actual shows I have seen in the past. What percentage of our home games generally have a half-time show. (Unicycles, pogo sticks, youth basketball, etc)

Did they announce senior dance and cheer squad members Announcement of senior pep band members? We arrived just as the senior men's basketball players were being announced so we may have missed it.

We won so I am not complaining but some of these tweaks could be free or rather low cost. I do appreciate having all the concession stands open as I don't think that was the case a few years ago. That does make any lines very short.

Had we lost that game I think I would have cried. I don't get to many games in Boone due to work and the cost, but I can't remember the last game I watched in person that we won. I was getting a bit tired and upset. Glad I could leave with a smile, especially since Davidson pulled it out at the last minute and App keep falling flat in that area (except for Davidson itself oddly enough.)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:40 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am
appfanjj wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:38 am
Yup. I’ve never heard of another school doing this. It just looks awkward.
Agreed. Is it really necessary to have a very visible "bar" right behind one of the baskets at a college game? I'd much rather see the pep band behind one basket and a group of rowdy, standing-room early students behind the other.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:59 pm

As a loooong time Yosef Club member I find that area pretentious.
As far as being an announcer I've been doing HS games for 12 years hence my criticism. I take my cues from other successful college and NBA teams...including music. I'd love the opportunity to do one App game. Guaranteed crowd involvement. I did leave out the tee shirt promotion. We gave out 2 t-shirts..... And 6 parachute cows. I just don't think our promotion people or game day folks get it.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:07 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:59 pm
As a loooong time Yosef Club member I find that area pretentious.
As far as being an announcer I've been doing HS games for 12 years hence my criticism. I take my cues from other successful college and NBA teams...including music. I'd love the opportunity to do one App game. Guaranteed crowd involvement. I did leave out the tee shirt promotion. We gave out 2 t-shirts..... And 6 parachute cows. I just don't think our promotion people or game day folks get it.
Davidson had a t-shirt on EVERY seat regardless if the ticket was sold. Coca-cola paid for it with a large ad on the back. Could we not get 2,000 printed for free by Coke or Pepsi, heck, give RC Cola a chance to crack the market. :D

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm

If App won 20 games a year and an elite eight run in the last ten years, I bet we could.

This is like a DC fan asking why don’t we have flyovers before kickoff in football.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:35 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm
If App won 20 games a year and an elite eight run in the last ten years, I bet we could.

This is like a DC fan asking why don’t we have flyovers before kickoff in football.
Certainly having a winning and successful program would make it easier to bring out the corporate sponsors. I am not thinking of t-shirts for every seat, just t-shirts for the average attendance. Cost would be proportional to the number of shirts made and printed so a smaller amount of advertising would be meet with a smaller cost from the sponsor.

I assume Pepsi does something for us to have a monopoly to sell their product in Holmes, but how much more could we get from them before they walk away and if they did walk away would we be worse off for it in the sense no one else would step up and give us something to hand them a monopoly contract.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:38 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm

I took in one football game this year at Davidson. Maybe it was the proximity to Charlotte-Douglas but I thought the flyover was very nice though odd in that is continued throughout the game and it was much more commercial jets and hardly no military planes which is customary for flyovers. I guess each school has their own manner of doing a pre-kickoff flyover.

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 am

I was thinking at the game how awesome it would be to have the full band at the game. That would fill up a lot of seats. Probably would be tooo loud, maybe a half band.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

I want the pep band to play the National Anthem...and learn the William Tell Overture.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 pm

If all else fails, we could go this route.....

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:35 pm

Dmanuhone wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:03 am
I was thinking at the game how awesome it would be to have the full band at the game. That would fill up a lot of seats. Probably would be tooo loud, maybe a half band.
Funny you mention that, when we played Western this year they brought their whole band to the arena.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:53 am

MDaniels84 wrote:

Someone please send this article to DG and the entire basketball marketing staff. Our basketball production is a atrocious.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”