Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

RIP Woody Durham

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

RIP Woody Durham

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Regardless of how you feel about the Holes, Woody was a class act and the Voice of North Carolina college basketball for decades.

appfanz

Re: RIP Woody Durham

Unread post by appfanz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:11 pm

I was never a Carolina fan but always a big Woody Durham fan. When he was calling a game you knew what was going on.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Sometimes I attempt to do play by play for 30 second increments, usually with a nod to mystery theatre 3k. I'm always terrible in my attempts and always impressed by even the worst announcers. Woody was a "homer," but I will give the hole fans some credit in that announcers in the majority of their televised games were obviously gushing over the other team. My dad loved to listen to Woody instead of the televised announcers, and for that fact alone I respect the man. I hope basketball is pointless in heaven, but I also hope they have a good conversation about how the ACC died when...................

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:46 pm

I loved listening to Woody call our basketball games. In my time at Carolina, I only went to one basketball game in Carmichael (never cared enough about basketball to spend hours and hours hoping to get a ticket). I listened to almost every game on the radio, though, and could "see" the game through Woody's play by play. When we watched games on TV, we always turned down the TV volume and turned up the radio.

Today, when I think of Woody Durham, I hear the call from the 1982 NCAA Championship. I was a senior at Carolina. Two of Gastonia's then high school legends - Sleepy Floyd (Hunter Huss, Georgetown) and James Worthy (Ashbrook, Carolina) - squared off for the national championship just as they had a few years earlier for the NCHSAA AAAA championship. Woody's call sums up the game perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsu5R9-UxZM

Woody's son now calls the games for Georgia Tech. His son will call the Carolina game tonight - a special request Woody made knowing that he might not be alive to hear the call.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:59 pm

I was never a Heels fan. However, I grew up listening to Tarheel games on WBT in Charlotte. Woody was a pro and the voice of their fan base.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:30 pm

Woody was a legend. Like many here have said, I grew up muting the TV commentary and listening to the radio call because of him. I still try and do that but it hasn't been the same since he retired. It was hilarious how he pronounced certain words -- like "soph-o-more."

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:11 am

Grew up a heels fan, parents watching while sound down listen to Woody on the radio. Will always remember "go where you go and do what you do"!

CoachRob

Unread post by CoachRob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14 am

Big part of my childhood was tuning in a hour before the Heels game and an hour after to listen to him talk about basketball. And like many on here, I'd much rather prefer listening to Woody call the game then anyone ESPN had to offer. He was a pretty good football announcer too, but basketball was the go to.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 pm

Sad that in his later years, Woody developed primary progressive aphasia--a neurocognitive speech and language disorder. He literally could no longer express himself or understand much of the expression of others. That had to be devastating for a professional, career broadcaster.

Despite doing some of my post-grad work at UNC, I never became a 'Heels fan. I did follow Woody when he was the sports editor and senior sports anchor at News 2 WFMY-TV in G'boro. Woody took over News 2 when Charlie Harville moved to WGHP-TV 8 and also became the Voice of the App sports network during the 70s-80s.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”