Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Why I can't Help but be Jealous of EZU

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Why I can't Help but be Jealous of EZU

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 pm

I put this under other schools' athletics because their prominence, donor base. brand, and funding makes it easier to produce a huge athletic program and all its perks. This is from an email newsletter I get regarding the University System:

The largest business school in the state. “We put more people into the economy, particularly in rural and underserved areas, our smaller towns, than any other university,” Staton says. “And they have an enormous impact.”

The state’s largest College of Education. ECU puts more educators into the state’s public schools than any other institution.

The largest College of Nursing. “We put more nurses into health care across North Carolina than any other institution,” he says.

A School of Dental Medicine that has developed a national model for delivering care to rural and underserved patients at clinics that stretch across the state.

And ECU’s Brody School of Medicine ranks No. 1 in the state and No. 2 in the nation in producing primary-care physicians who practice in rural and underserved areas.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

SayYesToTheRock

Re: Why I can't Help but be Jealous of EZU

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:26 pm

I'd rather be known for offering quality programs than merely having large programs. While I recognize the advantages of having such a donor base for athletics, those advantages have not prevented EZU's back to back 3-win seasons.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm

I applaud their accomplishments. However , I’m not jealous as I’ve been to Greenville.

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:26 pm

No

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

Judging from your posts from this past weekend, you envy their party school atmosphere, too, I guess.

Just another “App isn’t good enough thread” from the ghost of JCline. :roll:
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I am bitter about the funding state schools get in the Piedmont and east.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm

Not going to take the bait and start speaking badly of ECU. I'll just say that when one compares the quality of education and overall experience at Appalachian State University with other in-state schools, we do very, very well.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:04 pm

Must be something about purple and gold.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:02 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:45 pm
Well, I didn't believe you and did some early morning research to prove what I though was true. I stand corrected before I spoke because I didn't know that each school was allocated a different amount of money per student. I thought it was equal across the board for all UNC-System campuses. Appalachian State University in the year 2014-2015 received the least amount of state money per full-time enrolled student out of the entire UNC-System.

https://www.northcarolina.edu/sites/def ... 014-15.pdf

.............. there may be something to y'alls Chapel hill Conspiracy because they receive the most per student...................Ignore the School of the Arts and Science and Math because that includes High Schoolers and skews the numbers

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 am

Here's an ECU story for ya, Cliiine.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:38 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:02 am
Rekdiver wrote:
Well, I didn't believe you and did some early morning research to prove what I though was true. I stand corrected before I spoke because I didn't know that each school was allocated a different amount of money per student. I thought it was equal across the board for all UNC-System campuses. Appalachian State University in the year 2014-2015 received the least amount of state money per full-time enrolled student out of the entire UNC-System.

.............. there may be something to y'alls Chapel hill Conspiracy because they receive the most per student...................Ignore the School of the Arts and Science and Math because that includes High Schoolers and skews the numbers
Yeah...it’s very real. No tin foil required.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:58 am

Jealousy, what a wasted emotion. Good for them, glad to see our fellow schools prosper. Now I’m really looking forward to the why we should be jealous of WCU thread. :lol:

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:22 am

I prefer quality (App) over quanity (ECU).

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 am

NO.2 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:13 am
Here's an ECU story for ya, Cliiine.

I know. I deplore ECU. Always have. I just envy the fact that they get the funding the easy way.
Google SUX

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:10 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

AppState has been the model of efficiency in the UNC System for years. Ken Peacock did far more with far less than any other school. As a reward, the UNC Board of Governors and the NC General Asssembly has damned us to a pittance of funding realative to the other schools for perpetuity.

We need a campaign to call our state senators and assembly people to demand more equal funding for our university.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am

AppinVA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm
Judging from your posts from this past weekend, you envy their party school atmosphere, too, I guess.

You have me mixed up with Gonzo. He's the one who worships the party school crap. I hate it. I went to ASU to get an education and a resulting good job. Not to waste my and my Dad's money on booze. If you have any reading ability whatsoever, you would have known that through the years, I am about the only one on here who deplores EZU and all they stand for. I'm one who is jealous of that the fact that they get what they want through crooked politics and admitting every high school senior who can sign an application.
Apology accepted in advance.

Why don't you stick that Cline crap where the sun "don't" shine. It's almost a decade old.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:33 am

Cline throwing haymakers this morning!

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:58 am

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:10 am
BTK2000 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

AppState has been the model of efficiency in the UNC System for years. Ken Peacock did far more with far less than any other school. As a reward, the UNC Board of Governors and the NC General Asssembly has damned us to a pittance of funding realative to the other schools for perpetuity.

We need a campaign to call our state senators and assembly people to demand more equal funding for our university.
I would say App has done a good job using alternative funding to make up for the lack of state appropriated money. When I looked at last years state audit, all the way at the bottom in one of the index’s, is a sheet that outlines App s current liabilities in the form of revenue bonds. $221million if I remember correctly. And I’ve voice my opposition to future plans to continue to use that avenue and P3s to keep improving campus. I know apps cheap but it still hurts the bank at the end of the day and revenue bonds/ private company involvement will only drive the price up. But Also Looking at the budget priorities from the UNC website for the next couple years, it looks like there won’t be any appropriated money for construction leaving few, if any, viable options to keep going.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:18 pm

One of the budgetary fixes we seek from the General Assembly, of course with the blessing of the BOG , is an increase in the percentage of unexpended funds we can retain at years end rather than having to revert . It serves as an incentive to innovate and economize , but requires the central planners to give up a smidgen of control. Our track record would seem to put us in a position to be the Systems “Pilot Project” .The ask has been made , and is being pushed. If you know a state legislator you might gently mention it.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 am
AppinVA wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:39 pm

You have me mixed up with Gonzo. He's the one who worships the party school crap. I hate it. I went to ASU to get an education and a resulting good job. Not to waste my and my Dad's money on booze. If you have any reading ability whatsoever, you would have known that through the years, I am about the only one on here who deplores EZU and all they stand for. I'm one who is jealous of that the fact that they get what they want through crooked politics and admitting every high school senior who can sign an application.
Apology accepted in advance.

Why don't you stick that Cline crap where the sun "don't" shine. It's almost a decade old.
Beachbum and 29520somethingsomething is almost two decades old. Still, the song remains the same.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”