Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Okay, now I’m jealous...or envious

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Okay, now I’m jealous...or envious

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:35 pm

Flipping across the World Wide Leader, I see Alabama’s and then Georgia’s Spring game. I know why we do what we do, and I can’t argue with the results, but I sure would love to be in Boone for some Spring tailgating and tackle football today.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Re: Okay, now I’m jealous...or envious

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Would be a great way to market season tickets.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:35 pm
Flipping across the World Wide Leader, I see Alabama’s and then Georgia’s Spring game. I know why we do what we do, and I can’t argue with the results, but I sure would love to be in Boone for some Spring tailgating and tackle football today.
Carolina Cobras are playing some indoor tackle football at the Gboro Coliseum tonight and I saw at least one tailgater there to weeks ago in the sleet. :)
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:26 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 pm
AppinVA wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:35 pm
Carolina Cobras are playing some indoor tackle football at the Gboro Coliseum tonight and I saw at least one tailgater there to weeks ago in the sleet. :)
Wonder if he was an App guy.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:54 pm

I seem to remember Orange on the tent, so I think it was Clemson.

The Gboro team is in the league (NAL) the High Country team was in last year but this year the HC Grizzlies are in the AAL. Shame the few arena teams in the state could not all be in the same league and develop some rivalries but each league as is often the case with these minor leagues has a lot of movement of teams.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:54 pm

The Gboro team is in the league (NAL) the High Country team was in last year but this year the HC Grizzlies are in the AAL. Shame the few arena teams in the state could not all be in the same league and develop some rivalries but each league as is often the case with these minor leagues has a lot of movement of teams.
Yeah. The old ECHL had it right with Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh in NC, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston in SC and Richmond, Norfolk and Roanoke in Virginia. Fights on the ice and fights in the stands. It was great until Greensboro/Raleigh got the Hurricanes, Columbia lost its lease when the new coliseum was built and Norfolk left for the AHL. Good times.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Worse thing for Greensboro hockey was getting the Hurricanes for the two years.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Agreed.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:05 am

When is the last time a spring game open to the public was held?

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 am

AppinVA wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Yeah. The old ECHL had it right with Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh in NC, Greenville, Columbia and Charleston in SC and Richmond, Norfolk and Roanoke in Virginia. Fights on the ice and fights in the stands. It was great until Greensboro/Raleigh got the Hurricanes, Columbia lost its lease when the new coliseum was built and Norfolk left for the AHL. Good times.
Does anybody else remember the ECHL team in Spruce Pine? (Yes, there was professional hockey in Spruce Pine). I used to go to those games semi-frequently. They were a lot of fun. I went to one game once where there were 3 fights including multiple ejections BEFORE the national anthem.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:23 am

AppinATL wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 am
AppinVA wrote:

Does anybody else remember the ECHL team in Spruce Pine? (Yes, there was professional hockey in Spruce Pine). I used to go to those games semi-frequently. They were a lot of fun. I went to one game once where there were 3 fights including multiple ejections BEFORE the national anthem.
Wow that was a long time ago and I had completely forgotten about that experiment.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 am

“Pinebridge Bucks”,as I recall.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:58 am

Pinebridge was part of ACHL though two teams did find there way to the ECHL.

Some history here and not behind a paywall either.

http://www.greensboro.com/coliseum-with ... 253f6.html

Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... key_League

and once on this page there are pages for the seasons the Bucks were playing.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Yeah I wonder if a spring game is something DG has ever thought about. We know App football is a big time social experience, a lot of people love coming to games just for the excuse to spend a saturday in Boone. Obviously Boone spring's can be impossible to predict, you could very well have a "spring" game on a day where it's 35 degrees with sleet falling from the sky. You could also very well have one on a day that's 70 degrees and sunny. But I think on a nice day we would have somewhere between 12,000-15,000 fans. Maybe that's a stretch who knows. I'd love to go to a spring game though, especially in a year like this where we have a QB battle going on. Also would be a good chance to see some of these freshmen who sound legit

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm

AppinVA wrote:

Those days were great. I was a season ticket holder in Raleigh from day one till the end. I was also an off ice official for two years. I am now a season ticket holder and sponsor of the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Sure wish there were a team in Greensboro.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:17 pm

bcoach wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:33 pm
AppinVA wrote:

Those days were great. I was a season ticket holder in Raleigh from day one till the end. I was also an off ice official for two years. I am now a season ticket holder and sponsor of the Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs of the SPHL. Good times again. Sure wish there were a team in Greensboro.
T T-Birds were fun in Winston-Salem this year. However I have to wonder about their future a bit. They had the best attendance in the league this year but the Federal Hockey League lost about 1/2 its teams this year. I assume they will find other expansion teams but 4 teams is about as small as a league can go. The FHL cost structure seems to be a little bit less than the SPHL so I am not sure if they could make that work, though it would open up for chances of a rivalry with Fayetteville and Roanoke.

UNCG men's basketball calls the Gboro Colisuem home but it would be nice to have something else there in the winter. I am sure it could be scheduled to have both if someone was interested in bringing back hockey to Greensboro.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm

bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

I wish Richmond could get another franchise, but the Coliseum is so dilapidated, I doubt we will see one soon.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:55 pm

We should have just had an off-site tailgate in Charlotte last weekend. Imagine what would have happened if 500 or 1,000 ASU fans would have taken over their stadium (which honestly would have doubled their attendance). It would have been viral and Sports Center worthy.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:01 pm

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:17 pm
bcoach wrote:
AppinVA wrote:

T T-Birds were fun in Winston-Salem this year. However I have to wonder about their future a bit. They had the best attendance in the league this year but the Federal Hockey League lost about 1/2 its teams this year. I assume they will find other expansion teams but 4 teams is about as small as a league can go. The FHL cost structure seems to be a little bit less than the SPHL so I am not sure if they could make that work, though it would open up for chances of a rivalry with Fayetteville and Roanoke.

UNCG men's basketball calls the Gboro Colisuem home but it would be nice to have something else there in the winter. I am sure it could be scheduled to have both if someone was interested in bringing back hockey to Greensboro.
What was your attendance?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:31 pm

I went to 2 games. I think the avg attendance was around 2000 or a bit north of that. The FHL talks about their structure needing fewer tix sales to meet expenses. They do play less games in a season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”