Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App Band Director Bails

wncapp78
School: Appalachian State

App Band Director Bails

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:09 pm

REPOSTING From App Band Facebook page—-
It is with a heavy heart that we announce that Dr. Kevin Richardson will be leaving Appalachian State University. Over the past 6 years, Dr. Richardson has fostered a thriving marching band program and exceptional symphony band. We would like to thank Dr. Richardson and his family for all that they have given to the Hayes School of Music and wish them the best as they return to Texas for Dr. Richardson's new position at The University of Texas of the Permian Basin.

NoLongerLurking

Re: App Band Director Bails

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Awesome!

Unread post by 8993 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:17 pm

I would say that I'm upset, but I hadn't heard the best things about him, so having fresh blood in North Carolina's Band of Distinction isn't a bad thing. I hope the next band director can be a little more inventive with the band and really make a lasting impact on how the band operates within App State Athletics!

Regardless, best of luck to Dr. Richardson. It's always exciting to make such a massive move and I wish him the best in his intended path to success.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

I tend to agree with you 8993, seemed like the BOD wasn’t very inventive. And they basically stopped marching at halftime, just running onto the field into a formation and playing. Marching Bands should MARCH! The size of the band for a University of our enrollment seemed small and not growing. I recall JMU, UMass, Western, Troy, among others, all had much larger dynamic bands. And i say all this as someone who cares greatly about our band and how the band can enhance our game day experience.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue May 15, 2018 10:23 pm

After attending a game at WCU(I know) we should bring that director in to kick start the half time program. They only attend games till half time to watch the band......

P.S. daughter is a rebel and attends Western. Can't be to mad WCU football coaches son is APP state QB

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:32 am

Good, the half time shows have been pretty boring over the past few years and I'm excited to see the BOD head in a new direction. I know we have some older alumni on this board, but I'm sure even they don't want to hear another 6 Earth Wind and Fire covers squeezed into a 10 minute "performance." Sets like that and homages to Adam West's Batman are not entertaining at all.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 am

The Devil Went Down to Georgia was pretty cool.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 am

AppinVA wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 am
And I loved Kashmir, but other than those two pieces I can't recall another interesting performance from the past 6 years.
Last edited by NO.2 on Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

MountaineerChemist10

Unread post by MountaineerChemist10 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:59 am

As a former member of the BOD, I say "thank you!!" The band has been going downhill since Tobias left for UCF, then West Virginia Univ.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am

Tobias was a good one and I feel the band hasn't been the same since he left. I specifically remember sitting in the stands cringing after Ohio's Marching 110 just finished up their half time performance and we "ran" onto the field like 3 graders heading to recess. Here's to hoping the next director brings back some of the tradition lost during the past six years.

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:10 am

Email your thoughts to the Dean of the Music School about the characteristics you think are important for our next Band Director and the Band of Distinction, and if there are Marching Bands that he should recruit from let him know.
Dr James Douthit
mailto:douthitjr1@appstate.edu

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:18 am

NO.2 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:50 am
AppinVA wrote:
And I loved Kasmir, but other than those two pieces I can't recall another interesting performance from the past 6 years.
I agree with both posts. The fiddler was FABULOUS! And, I got the impression that she was not expecting the crowd's response. Why didnt they do that one more often last year?

And, KASHMIR (yes, I googled the spelling), was also FABULOUS! They should have done that more often too.

The new director should play more what the crowd wants rather than the same-old, same-old.

Standard marching band fare should be jettisoned. These two pieces Kashmir & Devil went down to Ga. should be the new standard. I am sure other good tunes can be found.

Going back further in time, the game after 9/11/2001 was pretty special. Very simple patriotic tunes at halftime, obviously put together in a couple days, but WOW! was that ever a moving and memorable performance. So, the halftime show can be a big deal with the right leadership.

Although I was not a member of the marching band, I was a music major. I usually sit & listen to the halftime shows.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed May 16, 2018 9:39 am

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm
I tend to agree with you 8993, seemed like the BOD wasn’t very inventive. And they basically stopped marching at halftime, just running onto the field into a formation and playing. Marching Bands should MARCH! The size of the band for a University of our enrollment seemed small and not growing. I recall JMU, UMass, Western, Troy, among others, all had much larger dynamic bands. And i say all this as someone who cares greatly about our band and how the band can enhance our game day experience.
To be fair: "running on to the field" is done to save time and allow for more time playing music rather then spending 2-3 minutes of a 11 minute window, slowing marching into position.
However, I wish the director well, but hopefully it will lead to some good change.
-Former band member

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed May 16, 2018 10:01 am

wncapp78 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm
Bands like App and ECU generally have a large marching band, with many members taking the course as an elective to remain involved in music. That, coupled with decrepit funding levels, result in the lack of preparation time necessary to do what you are asking. As someone who was a Music Major for a time in college and participated in competition marching throughout high school, the required time rivals if not surpasses athletics in order to be prepared. For some programs, it isn't seen as an efficient use of resources (time included).

App has a tremendous Wind Ensemble and Symphony among other groups and students that go to App as musicians generally aren't concerned with Marching. As someone who wasn't incredibly fond of marching band when compared to wind ensemble and orchestral playing, I'd likely not have had enough time to devote to those ensembles, my course schedule, and practice schedule while also performing in a high level marching band.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 am

I realize this might be a bit of a stretch, however, OSU has one hell of a band. Here's a military tribute, they even recognized the Coast Guard, 4:26 mark. Semper Paratus!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed May 16, 2018 10:15 am

Pep bands and drum lines walking through the tailgates hours before kickoff is nice. I hope that's a thing this season.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed May 16, 2018 10:33 am

QueencityApp wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 am
Tobias was a good one and I feel the band hasn't been the same since he left. I specifically remember sitting in the stands cringing after Ohio's Marching 110 just finished up their half time performance and we "ran" onto the field like 3 graders heading to recess. Here's to hoping the next director brings back some of the tradition lost during the past six years.
I was just going to say that we should try and recruit the band director from Ohio U. They were a really good unit. The Director up in Culloweed would be an upgrade too.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am

I am a huge fan of high stepping Big 10 bands. For the pregame entrance to their halftime shows. WCU is a show band and very good but I'd say hire the Band Director of SC State or A&T.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Wed May 16, 2018 11:02 am

AppinVA wrote:
Agreed!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Wed May 16, 2018 11:16 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am
I am a huge fan of high stepping Big 10 bands. For the pregame entrance to their halftime shows. WCU is a show band and very good but I'd say hire the Band Director of SC State or A&T.
NO!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”