Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Penn St Opens as 25pt fav

AppNation85
School: Appalachian State

Penn St Opens as 25pt fav

Unread post by AppNation85 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:21 pm

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... _week.html

Penn State a 25pt favorite. Thoughts?

I would take App and the points personally.
Twitter: @RankAppState

MountaineerMafia

Re: Penn St Opens as 25pt fav

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm

Based off history, the season PSU is coming off of, and the fact that we will be very green at the QB position, I think that point spread is right where it should be.

I'm sure once we get closer to the game I'll change my mind but as of right now I'd be happy to keep this game within 3 TD's or less.

I think we lost a lot of valuable pieces at important positions. Going in to Happy Valley and expecting a close game with a Big10 favorite with so much youth is not something I'm very confident with...at this point...again, that will probably change once we get closer and my homer-ism is full force!
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue May 22, 2018 8:42 pm

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 8:40 pm
Based off history, the season PSU is coming off of, and the fact that we will be very green at the QB position, I think that point spread is right where it should be.

I'm sure once we get closer to the game I'll change my mind but as of right now I'd be happy to keep this game within 3 TD's or less.

I think we lost a lot of valuable pieces at important positions. Going in to Happy Valley and expecting a close game with a Big10 favorite with so much youth is not something I'm very confident with...at this point...again, that will probably change once we get closer and my homer-ism is full force!
Call me old fashioned, but I won't be happy in any game my alma mater's football team loses by 21+.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Trying to look st it objectively, I'd say the spread looks about right. However, we know the first week always brings a few upsets and near misses, so why not us?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue May 22, 2018 9:36 pm

Compete.Get better , stay healthy. Can we win? You bet. We are about due but this is a tall order. Would love to put a scare into them ....

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Penn State lost a lot of talent on Defense this off-season, we lost one of the most tenured QBs in CFB. Anything can happen.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Franklin has recruited at a National Title level recently. They can have studs we know nothing about.

We're gonna have to compete at a really high level to make it a game. We can do it, but they got enough blue-chippers to make us pay for our mistakes.

Longrifle28

Unread post by Longrifle28 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 am

This is going to be a tall order. Going to depend on a lot of things, especially how prepared our young players stepping up are. I think we will be okay on defense and on the offensive line but the big ? is going to be quarterback. They lost Barkley but their dual threat quarterback is back and is going to be hard to stop. Their defense is built to play Ohio State and Michigan. I don't think they will be too worried about us, but maybe that will be their Achilles heel. 25 is probably close and maybe a little high.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am

Fair spread. I’ll wait till game week to make my pick, but this isn’t unreasonable.

Stay healthy and don’t get embarrassed.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:49 am

S.Lewis15 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:13 pm
Penn State lost a lot of talent on Defense this off-season, we lost one of the most tenured QBs in CFB. Anything can happen.
As much as I appreciate what TL did for us, replacing Stringer is a much taller order given how pedestrian the defense looked without him last year.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am

I’m going to go with filling Woodys shoes first. That security of knowing we would make adjustments in game and not allowing teams anything had me spoiled. Penn state will be no joke.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Wed May 23, 2018 12:51 pm

mountaineerman wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am
I’m going to go with filling Woodys shoes first. That security of knowing we would make adjustments in game and not allowing teams anything had me spoiled. Penn state will be no joke.
These games always have me fooled. I thought we would lose to UT by over 21 and we take them to overtime. I thought we'd keep it within 10 against UGA and they win by 21. My gut tells me the spread is accurate. My gut sucks at predicting P5 games.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu May 24, 2018 9:05 am

I just hope we don't injure their starting QB, or we don't stand a chance.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 am

This is what makes college football great....the "Any Given Saturday" concept. The spread is probably fair, but it isn't necessarily a predictor of the outcome. Penn St lost a lot on D but they are at a level where they reload so the real question is more about the chemistry their D will have in the first game rather than the talent. They will have plenty of talent on the field.

Losing TL is big, but nobody would have predicted that Eason (a highly rated 5 star QB) would go down in our game again Georgia last year and that the backup would IMPROVE their offensive performance. I am cautiously optimistic about our QB prospects because I think we have more depth than ever before. Just have to see how it all fits.

As mentioned above, replacing Stringer (and Boggs) on D will be no small task and that actually has me more worried, especially with Woody gone. Also, the turnover on the OL is a BIG question mark and that directly impacts the performance of the new QB.

I am terrible at projecting outcomes because I am an unapologetic homer. I believe we will go up there and compete. I'll believe that until I am proven right or wrong on 9/1.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”