Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No 9 for coach leaving

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

No 9 for coach leaving

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:49 pm

http://m.kusports.com/weblogs/keegan-lu ... tes=mobile

Posting from phone so link is for mobile devices, FWIW.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

DaphneUrquhart

Re: No 9 for coach leaving

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Tyler Lamb? Really?

Nice article. No surprises.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

FeartheNeers

Unread post by FeartheNeers » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 pm

Flattering article, I guess. But it's nauseating to imagine Satt in Chapel Hill. I don't expect him to stay in Boone forever, but I can't think of a darker timeline than him taking over at UNCheat.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:07 pm

That was my feeling as well. If he leaves then move to Cali. Though as much pull to stay at Boone could be from his wife that is from the area, he is from Hillsborough and he would still be near family in a way that could be a positive in his eyes.

I just keep thinking he has spent 22 or the last 27 years in Boone, or whatever the numbers are in the article. Maybe he just REALLY loves it there and really want to build a legacy at a school that has given him so much. Maybe his kids will want to go there as well.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:38 pm

I couldn't think of anyone better to put out the dumpster fire at UNC BUT Will consider A few others first..At 45 he is in his prime and5 years of big money and his family is set. Is "Tyler" Lamb the next Satt? Give him 10 years of outside experience.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 am

FYI, Tyler and Taylor are twins that only a limited few sports writers and analyst were aware of, therefore the limited references to Tyler in the media. App actually got a two for one on the Scholly because it was not public knowledge. This was another genius move by Satt. They never played in the same game and all stats are officially listed under the name Taylor.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am

I have said this before and I still feel this way. I have no knowledge of the situation, only an opinion based on my interaction with him as a person and my own personal experiences. His daughter is entering high school this year and teenage girls don’t react kindly to change at this age. I have two of them and another close. Also, his son is a pretty good athlete at Wataugs and if he joins the football team then I doubt that Scott leaves. I know that the counterpoint is that it would be hard to turn down a salary that doubles or triples your current salary. That is a fair point, but it isn’t like we are talking about going from $50k to $150k. He makes more than enough now to be happy and content for the rest of his life. He can take 2 weeks of his current salary for each of his kids, invest it into a mutual fund tomorrow and that ensures that they are multi millionaires by the time that they are his age.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:09 am

I mean, if we're quibbling over details, the article also says we beat Toledo 34-0 in the Camellia Bowl this past season. (Right score, wrong bowl.)

And do we really think Chapel Hill is the big draw for Satt? I know he's from Hillsborough, but I guess I always assumed that NC State would be the more attractive job if they ever came calling. But I don't know Scott.

Anyway, continued success (knock wood) will generate continued chatter, but I'd imagine it would take a few marquee wins (or even playing Penn State close and then winning out) before he gets scouted for a really good P5 job. And it seems to me that it would take a pretty good job to pull him away.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:58 am
I have said this before and I still feel this way. I have no knowledge of the situation, only an opinion based on my interaction with him as a person and my own personal experiences. His daughter is entering high school this year and teenage girls don’t react kindly to change at this age. I have two of them and another close. Also, his son is a pretty good athlete at Wataugs and if he joins the football team then I doubt that Scott leaves. I know that the counterpoint is that it would be hard to turn down a salary that doubles or triples your current salary. That is a fair point, but it isn’t like we are talking about going from $50k to $150k. He makes more than enough now to be happy and content for the rest of his life. He can take 2 weeks of his current salary for each of his kids, invest it into a mutual fund tomorrow and that ensures that they are multi millionaires by the time that they are his age.
Satt's a smart guy, so I'm sure he knows about this (and I'm sure most of you do too), but there have been some studies done on the correlation between income and happiness. They generally show that increased income does lead to a happier life if you're talking about the change from low-income to middle- or upper-middle income. But the affect starts to fall off around $70-75k and completely disappears before you hit the $200k mark. Past that point, aggregate data suggests that mo' money doesn't mean mo' happiness. https://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/14/money-c ... point.html

Yes, the right P5 job could mean generational wealth, and I'm not knocking anyone for seeking that out. But I think it's safe to say that Satt already out-earns the majority of the folks on this board, and as of the last time I checked, anyone making a salary above about $465k is a certified one-percenter, so Satt's definitely there.

I know there's a lot more to it, especially when you consider things like assistant coach pay, but if anyone has access to Coach's desk and wants to leave a copy of that income/happiness article on it, be my guest. :)

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am

Satt gave a strong hint in a recent interview that he may have turned down a P5 job to stay in Boone. He said, paraphrasing " three of our coaches turned down P5 offers this year because they like what we are doing here." Was he one of them? We do not know. But he does love Boone and his son is star runningback at Watauga High.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:20 am

AppSt94 wrote:
I think I will invest two weeks of my salary for my three girls. When they are my age they can put new tires on their, hopefully, electric car. :shock:

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:24 am

appchicago wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:22 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Satt's a smart guy, so I'm sure he knows about this (and I'm sure most of you do too), but there have been some studies done on the correlation between income and happiness. They generally show that increased income does lead to a happier life if you're talking about the change from low-income to middle- or upper-middle income. But the affect starts to fall off around $70-75k and completely disappears before you hit the $200k mark. Past that point, aggregate data suggests that mo' money doesn't mean mo' happiness. https://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/14/money-c ... point.html

Yes, the right P5 job could mean generational wealth, and I'm not knocking anyone for seeking that out. But I think it's safe to say that Satt already out-earns the majority of the folks on this board, and as of the last time I checked, anyone making a salary above about $465k is a certified one-percenter, so Satt's definitely there.

I know there's a lot more to it, especially when you consider things like assistant coach pay, but if anyone has access to Coach's desk and wants to leave a copy of that income/happiness article on it, be my guest. :)
I have heard that about $ and happiness. I had a principal mention that in a faculty meeting a few years ago. Not the best thing to say when the one saying it is in the income range of not really needing more money and a room full of teachers are having in some case a hard go of it, unless they had a rich life partner of family money.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am

appstate77 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am
Satt gave a strong hint in a recent interview that he may have turned down a P5 job to stay in Boone. He said, paraphrasing " three of our coaches turned down P5 offers this year because they like what we are doing here." Was he one of them? We do not know. But he does love Boone and his son is star runningback at Watauga High.
Good enough to play at App without folks thinking nepotism? I would be ok with that if it helps the Satterfields have a stronger pull to stay in Boone.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:48 am

appstate77 wrote:
Not saying you're wrong, but I'd love to see a link to that interview if one's available. I haven't heard any rumors that he's even been a serious candidate for a P5 job yet, much less been offered one.

He's probably referring to defensive coaches who chose promotions at App over going with Woody to be position coaches at GT.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am
appstate77 wrote:
Good enough to play at App without folks thinking nepotism? I would be ok with that if it helps the Satterfields have a stronger pull to stay in Boone.
Yes ... or run track. He's quite the speedster.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:26 am

Of course we all want the best for App so i get the rosy outlook here, but if this current trajectory continues Satt will be gone in the next few years. At the least an AAC team will come knocking, he already flirted with Cincy for a minute. Just the nature of the business in today’s climate, too much money to be made to stay at App if he has a better opportunity.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am

Since Mack Brown left for Texas, how many UNC head coaches have left for better jobs? And by better jobs, I mean P5 with football history. Seems like a lot of coaches have gone there and haulted their ascension in the coaching ladder. You could argue that Sat is better, but UNC is a basketball school and football will always play 2nd fiddle.

Capt. Ed

Unread post by Capt. Ed » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am

I guess I'm swimming against the current here, but I think UNC is a good match for Satterfield. CH is close enough for his family to stay in Boone and for him to coach at UNC. To me, NCSU is more of a dead end job then UNC. And, Scott has show good results recruiting responsible young men, kept App program clean and is a good ambassador for the school. UNC would benefit immensely.

Plus, it would finally give me reason to pull for UNC.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am

I've read a lot of "up and coming coaches" articles that mention Satt seems happy in Boone. He has been in Boone all but a few years since he was 18. At what point does a person like that get a reputation within an industry and the bigger jobs stop bothering to consider him?

That why I wouldn't be surprised to see him very soon jumping on a job offer out of the blue that will shock these boards as being too much of a lateral move.

I wouldn't fault him one bit for taking a P5 job that, even if he were fired in three years, would set him and his family up for generations. He could always come back to Boone as a retired 50 year old with no worries and be quite happy.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:23 pm

The right offer, of the right job, at the right time and he's gone. Until then I plan on enjoying the ride....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”