Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No 9 for coach leaving

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: No 9 for coach leaving

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:17 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:12 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 am
appstate77 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:49 am
Satt gave a strong hint in a recent interview that he may have turned down a P5 job to stay in Boone. He said, paraphrasing " three of our coaches turned down P5 offers this year because they like what we are doing here." Was he one of them? We do not know. But he does love Boone and his son is star runningback at Watauga High.
Good enough to play at App without folks thinking nepotism? I would be ok with that if it helps the Satterfields have a stronger pull to stay in Boone.
Yes ... or run track. He's quite the speedster.
Get the kid an offer for a scholly now and lock the entire family in I say. If he is really good then we could lose him to a Prig5 school.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm

You guys are all wrong about Sat. He's a competitor and while money is a big draw, he will only leave for a real challenge. NC State might fit the bill but so does Appalachian State. We have been very successful during his tenure but we are still no Boise State and we could be. If he stays it will be to achieve that standard or better...once there he may very well leave us. Regardless, we all should enjoy the current run and remember always the crap in his first few years as head coach he had to crawl through on this board to get here.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 pm

App coaches will always be revolving, whether it is SS or someone else. If they are successful, there will always be bigger and better opportunities out there. If they aren’t sought after, they probably aren’t the coach we want in place either.
Unless we find someone like Jerry Moore, or possibly SS who value the high country and people of the area over the highest payday, or brightest spotlight, we will always be a stepping stone. but that takes a special person in the right spot in their life to make the decision to stay
Last edited by The Rock on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:04 am

We can come here and debate this topic from now until the end of time. None of us knows what is going on in the Football Office, AD Office or the Satterfield household. SS may have found his dream job and it is here. He may have no want or desire to leave the mountain. But circumstances change all the time that may make him want out. None of us keyboard warriors are privy to all of the moving parts of this. And if you are fortunate enough to be in the inner circle and know all, then I would trust that you would keep it to yourself.

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:23 am

If it is about money, and I don't think it is for Scott, give him an ad-on title where he can work 2 months in the off-season for a couple of hours a day, there are plenty of those jobs, and add a $150,000 salary to it. Try something different. The key may be what App94 is saying - keep people in the higher-up positions that'll stay out of his business or at least not aggravate him. I've been in an athletic department for 40 years and every time the admin changes there is a danger that one of them will screw up the scenery and the good and proper ways. I'm sure it is the same in any occupation.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:24 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:30 am
Since Mack Brown left for Texas, how many UNC head coaches have left for better jobs? And by better jobs, I mean P5 with football history. Seems like a lot of coaches have gone there and haulted their ascension in the coaching ladder. You could argue that Sat is better, but UNC is a basketball school and football will always play 2nd fiddle.
Until Fedora, they hadn't really hired any rising coaches since Mack - that's been part of their problem. The two coaches following Brown (Carl Torbush and John Bunting) were an internal promotion and a legacy hire, and both were simply in over their heads. Butch Davis seemed to be building a pretty good program before the NCAA stuff hit. I suppose the jury's still out on Fedora.

But I think you're right about fan/institutional support for football there. Both were good when Davis was there, but I think they've been spooked or turned off by the NCAA mess and the fans have never really come back, even when Fedora has had good teams.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm

SportingNews has Neal Brown and Jason Candle as the top 2 candidates for P5 jobs among G5 coaches. Is this because Satt isn't going anywhere or because the other are better P5 candidates? I say it is the former and not the latter.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:10 pm

It could be a little of both.

Have the other coaches any Prig5 wins?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Brown and Troy beat LSU last year.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:57 pm
You guys are all wrong about Sat. He's a competitor and while money is a big draw, he will only leave for a real challenge. NC State might fit the bill but so does Appalachian State. We have been very successful during his tenure but we are still no Boise State and we could be. If he stays it will be to achieve that standard or better...once there he may very well leave us. Regardless, we all should enjoy the current run and remember always the crap in his first few years as head coach he had to crawl through on this board to get here.
I get what you’re trying to say here, but what has Boise *really* achieved other than a brand name? They won a sugar bowl but thats just another bowl game in the grand scheme of things. I also think it was a little easier for Boise to do what they did when they did it compared to todays landscape. If Satt’s the competitor you say he his then idk why he, and any other coach in the country, wouldn’t want to go somewhere where he actually had a chance at a National Championship. Unfortunately that’s just not ever going to happen here unless major changes come to college football, which they aren’t. But agreed, enjoy the ride while it lasts.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:00 am
mikeyosef wrote:
I get what you’re trying to say here, but what has Boise *really* achieved other than a brand name? They won a sugar bowl but thats just another bowl game in the grand scheme of things. I also think it was a little easier for Boise to do what they did when they did it compared to todays landscape. If Satt’s the competitor you say he his then idk why he, and any other coach in the country, wouldn’t want to go somewhere where he actually had a chance at a National Championship. Unfortunately that’s just not ever going to happen here unless major changes come to college football, which they aren’t. But agreed, enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Fair point, but let’s be honest, unless you are Alabama, Ohio St., or the runner-up to the SEC title, you are not getting a consistent shot at the National Title. Aside from money, what do the vast majority of P5 HC jobs offer that Appalachian doesn’t offer him? A bowl game closer to NYs Day?

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:
Fair point, but let’s be honest, unless you are Alabama, Ohio St., or the runner-up to the SEC title, you are not getting a consistent shot at the National Title. Aside from money, what do the vast majority of P5 HC jobs offer that Appalachian doesn’t offer him? A bowl game closer to NYs Day?
Not necessarily, Dabo went to Clemson and turned them back into a National Title contender. UNC is interesting regarding their upside for football given that they focus so much on basketball. I use Mack Brown as an example. He was a very good coach, see what his achievement was at UNC vs Texas. He did very good at UNC but did great at Texas. UNC would provide good money but as one other said the track record for various coaches has not been one of a long term run and happy times but rather rough and uncertain waters. That would be my prediction for anybody going there.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Good points but Mack Brown’s teams never played for anything important. Why? Because Florida St was in the league and the BCS wasn’t going to take a Carolina over a Florida St if records were equal. My point being is that the system is flawed. There is a pecking order for getting into the playoffs and most schools are not on the short list. Ex. Our first opponent this year was snubbed by a team that finished second to them in their division. Not Conference, division. Clemson is a good example of how it could happen but SS isn’t getting the Clemson job. It is extremely hard to go undefeated at the P5 level and there are few teams that can get in to the conversation with an 11-1 or 12-1 record.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:11 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm
SportingNews has Neal Brown and Jason Candle as the top 2 candidates for P5 jobs among G5 coaches. Is this because Satt isn't going anywhere or because the other are better P5 candidates? I say it is the former and not the latter.
I said it in this thread previously, and have been for a few years. SS is in the top third of tenured coaches right now. A few more years at App and he will have a reputation in the industry and media as someone not interested in going anywhere.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:39 pm
Good points but Mack Brown’s teams never played for anything important. Why? Because Florida St was in the league and the BCS wasn’t going to take a Carolina over a Florida St if records were equal. My point being is that the system is flawed. There is a pecking order for getting into the playoffs and most schools are not on the short list. Ex. Our first opponent this year was snubbed by a team that finished second to them in their division. Not Conference, division. Clemson is a good example of how it could happen but SS isn’t getting the Clemson job. It is extremely hard to go undefeated at the P5 level and there are few teams that can get in to the conversation with an 11-1 or 12-1 record.
Didn't the BCS era start in 1998? Mack Brown left Carolina in 1997. His career at Texas would not have been impacted by Florida State's presence in the ACC.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Didn't the BCS era start in 1998? Mack Brown left Carolina in 1997. His career at Texas would not have been impacted by Florida State's presence in the ACC.
Yes Ms. Daphne. You are correct. My point was not well made. My point was that records being equal, some schools are not going to get picked for the more prestigious bowls, BCS, or playoffs. Using basketball as a reference, a mediocre Carolina basketball team will get the nod for the NCAA tourney versus other teams with a similar resume. That wouldn’t happen in Football. Clemson is riding a three year high, but it took them 4 straight years of double digit wins to get to the reputation. So that is 7 consecutive seasons of double digit wins.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:46 pm
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:34 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
Yes Ms. Daphne. You are correct. My point was not well made. My point was that records being equal, some schools are not going to get picked for the more prestigious bowls, BCS, or playoffs. Using basketball as a reference, a mediocre Carolina basketball team will get the nod for the NCAA tourney versus other teams with a similar resume. That wouldn’t happen in Football. Clemson is riding a three year high, but it took them 4 straight years of double digit wins to get to the reputation. So that is 7 consecutive seasons of double digit wins.
Too true. Too true.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:13 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
mikeyosef wrote:
I mean those teams you listed are getting there consistently because they have Hall of Fame head coaches, an abundance of resources, and most importantly, great players. If Satt goes to a school that’s not one of the 2 you mentioned above and they commit the resources to the program and Satt recruits well enough then he too could be in the playoff consistently.

What do the vast majority of P5s offer, aside from money (and that’s a pretty big aside), that Appalachian can not? A chance. And i would imagine if you’re a competitor at the highest levels of your profession that is all you would ask for, a chance at a national title.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”