Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Am I deluded?

GreatAppSt
School: Appalachian State

Am I deluded?

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:10 am

I just can't shake the feeling that our first 2018 game will be something special :D . I can't put my finger on why I feel like this, it's just there :shock: . I haven't felt this way about any of our big opponents in many years.

What say ye? O am I leading myself up a garden path with rose colored glasses?

:?

appstate77

Re: Am I deluded?

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am

Our defense is P 5 level. If our offense can move the ball, things might get interesting like the UT game.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am

This Penn St. team is closer to the UGA squad we played last year than the UTk team of a couple years ago. I'm looking forward to the trip and think we'll fair better than the bottom half of the Big Ten.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:35 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:29 am
This Penn St. team is closer to the UGA squad we played last year than the UTk team of a couple years ago. I'm looking forward to the trip and think we'll fair better than the bottom half of the Big Ten.
I agree. A 20 point spread seems accurate.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 am

I'm not so sure that we our defense will come out of the shoot as many think. We lost an awful lot of playmakers off that unit. There is talent there still and some young guys who will perform but I think we might have expectations that will be difficult to match in game 1.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 am

I am weirdly optimistic, too, but the harsh reality is that Penn State should be very very good. Very good. Trace McSorley is by most accounts the best QB in the Big 10, and while Saquan moving on to the NFL is no doubt good for us, the remaining RBs are upperclassmen ready for their chance to shine (plus some speedy young talent). They lost some key defensive players, but return a lot, too.

And in 2017, they never lost to an unranked team, and the two games they did lose were lost by a total of 4 points (including a one-point loss to a #2 Ohio State, and that was IN Columbus).

By all means, keep those rose-colored glasses in place! That's being a fan! Just know that the optimism may be stronger than usual because Penn State hasn't been as visible in recent years (and I think the shadow of their horrific scandal will be in place for some time to come) and because most of us don't live in B1G country.

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 am

Pretty sure by Phil Steele’s book PSU returns 3 on their D. They have been recruiting better since Franklin’s been there. Lots of 4 Star kids.... it will be a large challenge for sure. I would say at this point they are not UGA level (from last season) particularly on defense. They will be multiple on Offense however. They have an established high level QB and very good RBs so they will mix it up and that usually gives us fits. It will be a tough game. It will be a good sign if we can keep the score difference under three tds.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:04 pm

I just hope they don't throw screen passes the whole first half or it will get ugly quick.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been sneaking around some of their message boards, and they seem to be giving us more respect than any other P5 we've faced so far. I've seen down to earth realistic opinions from most of their fans. It was nice to see.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 pm

First things first: no injuries. Secondly I would be ok with a loss, but would hope we can compete better than we did at Georgia. I really do believe our offense will have a different feel to it this season. I too am looking forward to the trip. Should be a blast!

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:27 pm

There's no way any of us could have predicted our shutout against Toledo in the bowl game last year after our performances against ULM, UMASS, & Coastal. I really have no idea what to expect of our defense heading into the Penn State game. I can see a Tennessee repeat and I can also see a Miami repeat happening.

On offense, we've consistently been able to run the ball better against these P5 teams over the past few games, and I think that success will continue. Replacing Lamb will be tough, but I think our returning WR talent will be enough to make things interesting.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Is it realistic to believe that some of the new kids moving into starting roles this year could/would be better than the players they replace? I have been hearing for last several years since our move up to FBS that the talent/skill of each successive class is better than the previous. Is it unreasonable to think we may be upgrading at every position? If that is indeed true, then would it not be fair to assume that the new kids hitting the field this year will continue to raise the bar again? If that is true this team should be our best yet.

I think the key will be can Zac or whomever starts at QB can settle into a grove and run the offense at a high level?
Last edited by AtlAppMan on Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Yes, you are deluded. Yes, you should expect to win.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:15 pm
Yes, you are deluded. Yes, you should expect to win.
I like that, Simple, concise, optimistic.

We'll see.... I've been waiting to say that! :D

ncman071

Unread post by ncman071 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:16 pm

We will do one of two things....we could win....or we could lose....but nothing in between

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:22 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:13 am
Our defense is P 5 level. If our offense can move the ball, things might get interesting like the UT game.
Yep, this this this. I guess it is interesting since we are an unknown at QB this year. Obviously Thomas is the guy, but there's such little film on him. Who knows what his game is truly like. I've been a huge Taylor Lamb supporter over the years, and he deserves it. He was an amazing QB for us. But he didn't have the playmaking ability to keep us competitive against the top programs.

Obviously we got close against Tennessee, but that was because of our defense. Our offense was very limited with what they could do that game. Recently against teams like Georgia and Clemson, our defense does well early but the offense just doesn't have enough to give us a real chance at winning. This is mainly due to the passing game. Idk if it was QB play, an OL issue, or a WR issue. Probably a combination of the 3. But when we're not threatening in the passing game our offense as a whole is going to have a difficult time because it makes our run game so much easier to stop. I do think this is our best WR group in a while this year, so maybe Thomas will be able to make some plays. But until we can pass against teams like Penn State, we're not going to be beating them.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Yes.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm

The best thing we ever did was beat Michigan. The worst thing we ever did was beat Michigan. PSU will hear all about it again and they aren’t as arrogant as UT. They’ve got a premier coach I respect and a helluva team. With a new QB and new DC I just am not optimistic at all.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm
The best thing we ever did was beat Michigan. The worst thing we ever did was beat Michigan. PSU will hear all about it again and they aren’t as arrogant as UT. They’ve got a premier coach I respect and a helluva team. With a new QB and new DC I just am not optimistic at all.
I say it every year we've played a top P5 school since 2007. Michigan game ended the element of surprise. We are taken for real these days. Which is not a bad thing, I just don't think it amounts to much success against a top of Big Ten opponent. If we were playing a team like Iowa, Michigan State, I'd say we have a more realistic shot at winning because we can match their skill. Franklin has done a hell of a job, and while Barkley is gone, they're at reload status these days. I think what's most important is that we stay healthy and see glimpses of what we can expect from some of the new starters.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:14 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:19 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm
I say it every year we've played a top P5 school since 2007. Michigan game ended the element of surprise. We are taken for real these days. Which is not a bad thing, I just don't think it amounts to much success against a top of Big Ten opponent. If we were playing a team like Iowa, Michigan State, I'd say we have a more realistic shot at winning because we can match their skill. Franklin has done a hell of a job, and while Barkley is gone, they're at reload status these days. I think what's most important is that we stay healthy and see glimpses of what we can expect from some of the new starters.
Pretty sure the RB replacing Barkley was like the #2 RB in his class or something like that

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”