Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Wake BB assistant in big trouble

MAD Doctor
School: Appalachian State

Wake BB assistant in big trouble

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 pm

AppSt94

Re: Wake BB assistant in big trouble

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:14 am

The headlines are misleading. He punched a guy who came up to his car and the punch caused the guy to fall and hit his head. Not condoning or
Condemning until all of the facts are in.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:27 am

No doubt, but if I were Danny Manning, I'd be placing a "Help Wanted" ad.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:40 am

Maybe it is just because I am not a car person at all and my cars generally run on the crappy to really crappy side but I just can't imagine going to fisticuffs over someone banging on my car. I could be wrong but I would imagine the deceased was staggering and slurring words in a way to indicate some level of impairment.

The legal trouble I would imagine is the driving away from the scene. Would that be a misdemeanor?

Bad situation for the coach and I hope nothing becomes of this beyond a few hours of community service. The guy that was hit and died should have stayed at the reception/party and had a handler if he can't control himself enough to stay out of peoples space.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:48 am

Believe they said this morning its a homicide now.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:55 am

I'm all for personal responsibility, and the victim's behavior put himself at great risk, but a few hours of community service for causing a death and fleeing the scene seems a little slack. Hopefully, the facts will all come out and fair, appropriate justice will follow, whatever the outcome.

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:24 am

The Wake coach likely overreacted and certainly shouldn't have left the scene but his life and career shouldn't be ended because a drunk couldn't control himself. It's not clear why the confrontation escalated to a fight and let's face it, when under the influence, people do stupid things.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 am

The guy that died was banging on car windows waiting on his Uber -- Wake coach's window included. A resident heard the commotion and came outside to check what was going on. The guy that died punched the resident so the coach came out of his car to protect the stranger. The punch made the guy fall and hit his head and eventually die

It's a sad situation all around. The coach thought he was doing a good thing by helping out a stranger that was seemingly checking to make sure his and/or neighbors cars weren't being broken into and got sucker punched.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:01 am

The medical Examiner has now ruled it a homicide, but it will be up to the D.A. as to whether the charges will be upgraded.

https://www.journalnow.com/news/local/m ... 1d81f.html

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 pm

UNC is jumping for joy at this diversion of the news cycle.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:20 pm

GreatAppSt wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 pm
UNC is jumping for joy at this diversion of the news cycle.
So is Ohio state

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 am
The guy that died was banging on car windows waiting on his Uber -- Wake coach's window included. A resident heard the commotion and came outside to check what was going on. The guy that died punched the resident so the coach came out of his car to protect the stranger. The punch made the guy fall and hit his head and eventually die

It's a sad situation all around. The coach thought he was doing a good thing by helping out a stranger that was seemingly checking to make sure his and/or neighbors cars weren't being broken into and got sucker punched.
Even if the decedent threw a punch, and that may be in doubt per other witnesses, the Wake coach left a guy face down and unresponsive on the pavement and roared away--not to be heard from for five days. He made no effort to call 911 according to the NYPD's PIO. The coach faces both criminal and civil liabilities. It is a sad situation for all concerned. Extended families on each "side" are stunned and forever impacted by poor decisions and lack of self-control on the part of two family members old enough to know better. The coach is going to need competent criminal and civil counselors. Maybe a few Wake JDs will step forward.

Even if some NYC judge permits the coach to return to NC, it'll be a load on his head/shoulders to keep his mind on coaching and recruiting with this ugly incident hanging over him. In addition, all of the future court proceedings will be held in NYC... He's between mega rocks and hard places.
Last edited by asu66 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:41 pm

He'll get in trouble for not telling his bosses ahead of time.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:29 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:44 am

Even if the decedent threw a punch, and that may be in doubt per other witnesses, the Wake coach left a guy face down and unresponsive on the pavement and roared away--not to be heard from for five days. He made no effort to call 911 according to the NYPD's PIO. The coach faces both criminal and civil liabilities. It is a sad situation for all concerned. Extended families on each "side" are stunned and forever impacted by poor decisions and lack of self-control on the part of two family members old enough to know better. The coach is going to need competent criminal and civil counselors. Maybe a few Wake JDs will step forward.

Even if some NYC judge permits the coach to return to NC, it'll be a load on his head/shoulders to keep his mind on coaching and recruiting with this ugly incident hanging over him. In addition, all of the future court proceedings will be held in NYC... He's between mega rocks and hard places.
I am not condoning what was done -- just stating it's not as simple as "he murdered someone" that I am seeing most of the coverage showing.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 pm

You're right, it's clearly not simple. Someone's dead. Someone else is accused of *misdemeanor third-degree* assault. Both individuals were a long way from home. More police, private "eyes," prosecutors and lawyers now entering from stage left...final resolution is likely several years away.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 pm

asu66 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 pm
You're right, it's clearly not simple. Someone's dead. Someone else is accused of *misdemeanor third-degree* assault. Both individuals were a long way from home. More police, private "eyes," prosecutors and lawyers now entering from stage left...final resolution is likely several years away.
Headings make it seem like he threw a haymaker and killed a tourist.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm going to go down a road I haven't gone down in a few years. In this situation we have two young men who are out alone. Now one was was supposedly inebriated banging on the others car which led to the confrontation. One hit the other and the other is now deceased. The young man who happens to be an assistant coach for Wake now has to live his life knowing that he took another man's life; no matter the circumstances.

Now I am not condoning eithers actions in this because we will truly never know what happened. But as clearly evidenced by by user name and picture I was a sailor, not only a sailor but a small boy sailor. Now there is a stigma that sailors hit ports, drink and cause mayhem. Now while that is true; imagine being confined at your place of work and whenever someone needed you you were no less than 500 feet away. It is stressful, it is hard, knowing that you are a sitting duck thousands of miles from home with only an adequate offensive offering to balance the table. So yes us small boy sailors drink when in Port

Now if you are still reading you are quite confused as to what this has to do with the topic at hand. Well I have drank well past legal limits in many countries leading me to be a hindrance to others, aggressive ready to fight and do what you think of when you think of sailors in foreign ports. Now I'm 6'2 230 mostly muscle with a nice US Navy mean streak but I've never been in an incident overseas and you know why? Because us small boy sailors look out for one another. Going out alone and getting trashed was not a thing. We always had someone who was keeping us from trouble and trust me I tried from Palermo to Abu Dhabi to Cypress but I always had someone to keep me from making that awful decision.

End if the story is how was this young man by himself in his state of mind. That's not ok. I thank God everyday for my friends my shipmates that made sure I always made it back to the ship.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:45 pm

I'm sure he didn't mean to kill the guy when he threw the punch. No intention meant. Maybe justifiable homocide. That late at night, I agree he should have had someone with him.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:35 am

He killed a guy because he couldn't control himself. It really is just that simple.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:51 am

Is the second "he" referring to the coach, which I understand is the first "He," or is the second "he" the person that was apparently drunk. It seems both had control problems.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”