Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2013 Preview

bigCasu
School: Appalachian State

2013 Preview

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 am

Learned a couple things today at scrimmage that we did not see coming.

http://bigctailgate.com/2013/02/10/2013 ... l-preview/

Saint3333

Re: 2013 Preview

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 am

I'll take the over. The starting pitching is a concern though.

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:12 am

I have high hopes for Jaylin Davis but I was hoping he'd get a year adjust to DI college ball. Losing Ty Zupcic really hurts us, very solid all-around player. However, it does leave open the possibility for a Burris, Davis and Zupcic outfield in 2014 which could be one of the best in the conference.

We should have one of, if not the best middle infields in the SoCon this season with Calloway and Crespo. Leach is a promising young hitter at 1B and Holmes is a great glove man at 3B.

Even without Zupcic, we should be able to score runs. I see our biggest offensive question marks as Holmes at 3B, Minton/Zumbrook at C and Jaylin Davis, just because he is an unproven commodity at the college level and will likely have a bit of a learning curve.

Starting pitching is certainly a concern, so much youth out there. I like Springs and love Nunn's ability but am a bit surprised to hear that Marcello moved to the closer spot.

Any word on what role Ryne Frankoff is set to play? He didn't have the arm of Hyatt but I thought he was our most reliable reliever last season. I was expecting him to take over as closer.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:02 am

Nice writeup C!

For those concerned about Davis, a close friend spoke to Zupcic in the fall when he was on pace to be ready, and even back then Tyler said Davis would be the starter in CF. Tyler was expecting to move to RF. Losing Tyler definitely hurts, but I thought it was important for everyone to realize that Jaylin isn't starting just due to the injury.

The pitching will be very interesting to watch as well. From what I've been told Coach Jones will use a more agressive style with pitching compared to Coach Pollard. Should be interesting to see how that plays out.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Anyone headed to Raleigh this weekend? I think I'll make Friday at the least.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:11 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:Anyone headed to Raleigh this weekend? I think I'll make Friday at the least.
Headed their with some friends but because of classes we will only be able to make the Saturday and Sunday games. also many of our family members are going also. (were all students/alum of App)

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Will be there for Saturday's game, 100%. Won't be back in time for the Friday game and am 50/50 for Sunday at this point.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:18 pm

As always a great write up Big C.

I had heard briefly about Zupcic being redshirted and it is a good decision because the injury is still lingering. Jaylin will play a solid CF and Troutman/Burris flanking him is a good trio out there. Dobson I have seen and heard is a player that Coach Jones will try to get in the line up if he hits well. Like C said, Dobson is as good an athlete we have on the team already and he is just a Freshman.

I expect the team to still score plenty of runs. The biggest question will be if our pitching can hold up and put in solid work. Marcello to closer is not surprising and he has thrown the ball well in the scrimmages I have seen in that role. Look for about 32-35 wins and a decent tournament run. I am hoping that the pitching steps up over the course of the season to give us a shot at another top 4 conference season.

Also everyone I talk to about Coach Jones has nothing but great things to say about him and believe he has the ability to do big things in Boone.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I will be there for the Friday and Saturday games for sure. Not sure on Sunday yet. Go APPS!!

High Country Student

Unread post by High Country Student » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Good Preview! I may be in Raleigh for Saturday's game! Who are the projected mid week starting pitchers for the season and also who should we expect to be the power hitter for the team? Possibly Callaway?

asumike83

Unread post by asumike83 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:30 pm

High Country Student wrote:Good Preview! I may be in Raleigh for Saturday's game! Who are the projected mid week starting pitchers for the season and also who should we expect to be the power hitter for the team? Possibly Callaway?
In terms of HR power, I don't think we have anyone that can fill the void left by Kassouf. I do think Calloway will be our biggest run producer and will likely stay in the 3-hole. Alex Leach has shown some power and we will probably need him to give the line-up some pop.

We've got plenty of guys who should set the table nicely with Crespo, Burris and Davis so if one guy can step up in the middle of the line-up with Calloway, we will be scoring runs.

I'm not sure who to expect in the mid-week starter role, although Frankoff did a pretty good job of that in 2011. Maybe he'll assume that role with Marcello going to the 'pen?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Baseball”