Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

FLORENCE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM

WXAPP
School: Appalachian State

Re: FLORENCE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am

I'd offer it's too early for any concrete decision about the game. This is a late week landfalling storm. No logical, or educated, call about the game, or not, should be made at this point. Team prep yes, telling fans up or down.... no.

And here's why... If this Euro model verifies, then must of Western NC is in a world of hurt. The first 20" of that falls Friday and Saturday.

****Changes, of course, are possible. Until this thing is inland, and we know for sure where it's headed, folks should prep for the worst at this point. We'll all hope for the best.
Attachments
Western NC.jpg
Twitter: @wxcrum

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:25 am

My wife is at Ocean Isle with friends. She says folks are boarding up and planning to get out tomorrow.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:41 am

This morning I heard they are talking about a "significant inland event" relating to Florence. I guess that means it's not going to skirt up the coast like you'd expect?

Isn't that what happened with Hugo? I was a HS senior that year in the DC area. We had classes cancelled ahead of time expecting to get hammered. It never hit us, because it went straight in and hit the inland areas.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am

A few differences with Hugo and Flo... Hugo came in at Charleston, SC and marched up I-77 as a Cat 1 hurricane into NC. A cat 1 hurricane. Florence likely won't be a CAT for central NC. It's all about the rain and the flooding threat. In near ILM and then tracking NW'ish across NC towards the High Country. Some data suggest a stall. This may be Harvey'esq with rain for days, and flooding for days / weeks.

We'll see how this goes. But, it's not unreasonable to suggest historical impacts appear a bit more possible on this Monday morning.
Twitter: @wxcrum

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 am

Roy Cooper declares state of emergency (doesn't mean anything outside of the state being able to make proper precautions and use emergency relief money).

If this is as bad as they are saying it might be, forget the football game on Saturday, we might not play another OOC game this season.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:37 am

I wonder what contingencies are being discussed. Not your typical home and home (already played there) or conference foe where you could swap.

Then it becomes a matter of do you find a neutral site to play the game.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:43 am

That is a lot of rain. Please be safe all.

ECU
School: East Carolina

Unread post by ECU » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 am

My parents have a home in Boone up Friendship church road. I am encouraging them and my sisters family to all go up there and ride this hurricane out there. Any concerns of landslides or anything when it historically rains like this? They are on the side of a mountain with a small creek a down it a bit. I don't think flooding would be a threat, it wasn't last year when the town got the epic floods but I really don't have any reference for what something like this is in Boone.

beav910

Unread post by beav910 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:05 am

WXAPP wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am
I'd offer it's too early for any concrete decision about the game. This is a late week landfalling storm. No logical, or educated, call about the game, or not, should be made at this point. Team prep yes, telling fans up or down.... no.

And here's why... If this Euro model verifies, then must of Western NC is in a world of hurt. The first 20" of that falls Friday and Saturday.

****Changes, of course, are possible. Until this thing is inland, and we know for sure where it's headed, folks should prep for the worst at this point. We'll all hope for the best.
Where do you get your rainfall totals at if you don’t mind me asking so I can use them as a reference for myself. I’m trying to plan what I should do.
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:24 am

We should move this game to Southern Miss and play it. We need this win for our season. I think Southern Miss will win their share in the C-USA.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:57 am

The Euro model is now calling for 40.5 (forty and a half) inches of rain along the Watauga/Wilks border.

The other models are calling for 0.5-4 inches.

Guess we'll learn more for sure tomorrow. Cause that's a big size disparagement.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:16 pm

That's what she said.......

(Sorry couldn't resist)
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:31 pm

If I recall, Hugo was moving much faster than Florence is expected to. Which meant heavy winds got inland quicker, but it didn’t linger long for rain.

Florence is the opposite, slow moving gives the winds time to die down before moving too far inland, but essentially means you got an open faucet over your head for three days.

Both are bad for different reasons. Stay safe folks.
YNWA

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:45 pm

Georga State seems to be well out of the Florence "cone". And they don't have a home game. Maybe we could have the game there.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:00 pm

ah59396 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:31 pm
If I recall, Hugo was moving much faster than Florence is expected to. Which meant heavy winds got inland quicker, but it didn’t linger long for rain.

Florence is the opposite, slow moving gives the winds time to die down before moving too far inland, but essentially means you got an open faucet over your head for three days.

Both are bad for different reasons. Stay safe folks.
Yeah, I’m from Charlotte and rode Hugo out. It V-lined so quick, threw most of us off guard. It shot up that I-77 corridor fast enough to maintain its hurricane status, even as a Cat1, the biggest threats were powerlines, trees and flooding.

My neighbor is from a Jersey and is thinking about taking his fam up there, I had to explain that trees and flooding will be the biggest threats to us due to how far inland we are. Closest Trees are 100 yards away and we are perched on a hill.
The Appalachian State

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Do we even have a bye-week this year? I might be looking at it wrong but it seems we don't. We have a Tuesday game and a Thursday game but not a "week off." Maybe we could schedule in a short week on 10/13...I'm probably fantasy booking here but looking at the AAC, Tulane, Cincinnati, SMU and UConn are off that week. I'm not sure if any of those teams would be up for a last minute add, but I think if any teams would be up for an extra shot at bowl eligibility it'd be UConn and Tulane,

Switching the game to Hattiesburg might unfortunately be the best bet.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:04 pm

ECU wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:51 am
My parents have a home in Boone up Friendship church road. I am encouraging them and my sisters family to all go up there and ride this hurricane out there. Any concerns of landslides or anything when it historically rains like this? They are on the side of a mountain with a small creek a down it a bit. I don't think flooding would be a threat, it wasn't last year when the town got the epic floods but I really don't have any reference for what something like this is in Boone.
Anytime Boone has been affected by Hurricane/tropical storms, the rain becomes a serious problem. Even if mudslides aren’t a problem, you have to worry about wind/trees and the fact that Boone can flood easily, causing traveling around the area to be dicey. My thoughts, based on nothing, would be that Charlotte to Hickory are ideal places to be (outside of low lying areas and creek beds etc)
The Appalachian State

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:24 pm

The Kittiemounts are playing away this week. Scott and Mark are good buddies...... thinking out of the box.
Last edited by appstate77 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:45 pm
Georga State seems to be well out of the Florence "cone". And they don't have a home game. Maybe we could have the game there.
I think a more likely yet unfavorable solution is to move the game to Southern Miss.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:38 pm

Sorry, I was only thinking of myself.... I could do a quick road trip to ATL Saturday, but I don't think I could get to Hattiesburg (600+ miles) on Saturday.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”