Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No game this weekend

syntrandy
School: Appalachian State

Re: No game this weekend

Unread post by syntrandy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:04 pm

I guess the season Ticket holders are out the money on tickets, I had 4 tickets

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm

I'm seeing a lot of "why couldn't they play Friday or change locations?" comments.

Based on everything I've heard, we threw everything on the table to get this game to happen. However, Southern Miss shot down every alternative.

I'm not defending Southern Miss here but what incentive do they have to help us out here? Would we agree at the last second to play a team like UCF at a neutral site with one less day to prepare? Maybe we would. I don't know. But if we played a team like UCF, we'd probably be an underdog and all these suggested changes would put us at a disadvantage in a situation where we were already disadvantaged on the road.

Weather is unpredictable so I get it. It's just an enormous bummer that this happened.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:10 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:03 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:52 pm
I may be in the minority, but this storm will have minimal impact on the high country and seems like a PR motivated move.

Oh well.
PR motivated move?
We'd be playing a football game while the eastern part of the state was getting hammered by the storm...I could see that as a decision factor.

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm

As much as some of you seem to disagree, I think this was the right decision. Even if a single drop of rain doesn’t drop on the High Country Saturday, there are more factors that come into play here than just the safety of those in the stands and on the field. When there is a major and unpredictable storm churning off the coast, the entire state should be on alert and should take the safety of every individual into account, including those traveling to and from impacted areas. We also need to remember that the speedy recovery of those in the eastern portion of our state with the help of the High Country’s emergency crews is drastically more important than whether or not a football game is played.

As someone who does have season tickets, I am in total support of this move if they feel that it is the best move for all involved parties. Rather than quickly criticizing and questioning whether or not this was a PR move or administration is being too cautious, I’m going to trust that they have more information than I do and are making a decision that will best ensure that our students, our fans, and our community is the utmost priority here.

Also, if the game had been played and the storm sped this way, think of how many would criticize the university’s decision to host the game without taking into account safety, some of which we would find on this very website. As always, it’s better to be safe than sorry, so kudos to our administration for making a tough call that they knew wouldn’t be popular for the sake of an emergency at large.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:16 pm

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:22 pm

I hope no one calls for rain 9/3/22.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:25 pm

If Satterfield and the coaching staff hadn't put together such a great, exciting team this year it'd be a lot easier to take. After my initial negative reaction, I'm accepting their decision...but I'm blaming Satt and his guys for my feelings of loss!

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:35 pm

The biggest factor I see for Southern Miss with the current forecast would be the return trip. Latest I saw for the high country is things get dicey Saturday night into Sunday which could mess up their flight home.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

8993 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 pm
As much as some of you seem to disagree, I think this was the right decision. Even if a single drop of rain doesn’t drop on the High Country Saturday, there are more factors that come into play here than just the safety of those in the stands and on the field. When there is a major and unpredictable storm churning off the coast, the entire state should be on alert and should take the safety of every individual into account, including those traveling to and from impacted areas. We also need to remember that the speedy recovery of those in the eastern portion of our state with the help of the High Country’s emergency crews is drastically more important than whether or not a football game is played.

As someone who does have season tickets, I am in total support of this move if they feel that it is the best move for all involved parties. Rather than quickly criticizing and questioning whether or not this was a PR move or administration is being too cautious, I’m going to trust that they have more information than I do and are making a decision that will best ensure that our students, our fans, and our community is the utmost priority here.

Also, if the game had been played and the storm sped this way, think of how many would criticize the university’s decision to host the game without taking into account safety, some of which we would find on this very website. As always, it’s better to be safe than sorry, so kudos to our administration for making a tough call that they knew wouldn’t be popular for the sake of an emergency at large.
I can't imagine any emergency crews from this area going anywhere until after the storm hits the high country.

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm

APPARJ wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:09 pm
I'm seeing a lot of "why couldn't they play Friday or change locations?" comments.

Based on everything I've heard, we threw everything on the table to get this game to happen. However, Southern Miss shot down every alternative.

I'm not defending Southern Miss here but what incentive do they have to help us out here?
I don't think this is entirely on Southern Miss. For instance, our school administration took issue with playing the game on Thursday or Friday when classes were cancelled. Anyway, the decision has been made. Let's now focus on the storm and pray for those in its direct line.

APP93

Unread post by APP93 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Look on the bright side...now the game vs GW will get better attendance since it is our home opener and people will be chomping at the bit to see a game after an off weekend....and then if it can be re-schedule it is a "win-win"

I think it is the right call...I understand people saying only 20% chance of rain for Saturday, etc..but the forecast with this storm keeps changing by the hour...better safe than sorry. Hopefully it can get re-scheduled.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Alright then, prediction- Big C, write it down:

Mountaineers 0
Southern Missed 0

Don't call it a comeback... :lol: :roll:

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm
20% chance of rain Saturday. I get that MUCH more important things are happening in the state, but...
but what?

Does anyone (not you specifically, this is to everyone who's complained about this decision) want to hear a news reporter say "a family drowned because emergency crews were under staffed?" and know that 25 officers were busy watching ticket lines at Kidd Brewer instead of helping people? That's not hyperbole, it's reality.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I agree they should cancel all games east of the Mississippi every time a Hurricane is approaching, let's bus them all down to the coast today and get prepared.

Clemson game moved up from 3:30 to noon. A very reasonable solution given their proximity to the storm.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:52 pm
I may be in the minority, but this storm will have minimal impact on the high country and seems like a PR motivated move.

Oh well.
Or forced by our chancellor who panicked yesterday and cancelled classes for 2 days.
Rable, back in my day we would regularly go to school in category 5 hurricanes. We were better than these good for nothing kids today because had we had logistical issues that could arise from a change in the storm direction on lock. We could evacuate and close the campus in a mere 5 minutes if called on. Not to mention all those selfish college students and staff that are going home to help their families prepare for what the news is calling the the most potentially devastation storm in a century. When I was at App we would ignore our families and put our nose to the grind wheel and only focus on school.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Good call....
Twitter: @wxcrum

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm

fjblair wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 pm

I can't imagine any emergency crews from this area going anywhere until after the storm hits the high country.
Don't know about Boone, but I do know that emergency personnel from the Piedmont are deploying tonight so they can stage a little closer to the areas likely to be worst hit.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm

Just a little suggestion. Why don't we leave the discussion of what First Responders, (fire, ems, law enforcement, etc) do and don't do to those of us who actually know. While it's true that most local members will stay in their county, some will deploy to help. And each state and the feds have Go Teams that are comprised of members across the area that respond to help locals departments in disaster areas, both before and after. Also keep in mind that many of these same responders are also Red Cross volunteers and National Guard members, among other organizations. They can and will also be called up in these situations.

Instead of complaining about a football game can we keep in mind that there are people alive today that soon won't be. I hope not but it will happen. Also there are families that will soon loose everything they own, including many things that can never be replaced. And they will be affected for the rest of their lives. I've been through more of these than I care to remember as a GT member in three states. I still keep in touch with people I met while trying to help them. And to be honest I don't give a hot damn about this game being called off. Many people have much more important things to be worried about. And I'm done on here.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm a bit in awe that people are actually questioning not only the decision, but the rationale behind it. Just wow.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm
20% chance of rain Saturday. I get that MUCH more important things are happening in the state, but...
but what?

Does anyone (not you specifically, this is to everyone who's complained about this decision) want to hear a news reporter say "a family drowned because emergency crews were under staffed?" and know that 25 officers were busy watching ticket lines at Kidd Brewer instead of helping people? That's not hyperbole, it's reality.
Under staffed...and often over worked, even in normal operating conditions. Signed an often tired paramedic and firefighter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”