Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

No game this weekend

Saint3333

Re: No game this weekend

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Out of curiosity at what distance from the storm is it socially acceptable to carry on with an entertainment event. I don’t say this to be combative, would enjoy a rational discussion on what distance.

I would assume a distance that is likely to produce an measurable impact on the resources available to address a disaster situation, which I’m unsure what that reasonable distance would be. Six hour drive?

AppDawg
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm
Out of curiosity at what distance from the storm is it socially acceptable to carry on with an entertainment event. I don’t say this to be combative, would enjoy a rational discussion on what distance.

I would assume a distance that is likely to produce an measurable impact on the resources available to address a disaster situation, which I’m unsure what that reasonable distance would be. Six hour drive?
I don’t disagree with the decision to call the game in Boone. I do disagree with So. Miss not agreeing to our offers to play elsewhere (not Boone).

To answer your question. We played LSU at 10am the day before Gustav was to hit... 1st ‘cane to hit the gulf after Katrina.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Out of precedence, I'd say at least 1 day away from landfall. (See App v. LSU II)

But that's a no-frills event. Start the game, finish the game, gtfo.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:48 pm

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:52 pm
I may be in the minority, but this storm will have minimal impact on the high country and seems like a PR motivated move.

Oh well.
...but they have to risk developments in the weather traveling back home. Am I wrong?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

App91

Unread post by App91 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:59 pm

firemoose wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm
Just a little suggestion. Why don't we leave the discussion of what First Responders, (fire, ems, law enforcement, etc) do and don't do to those of us who actually know. While it's true that most local members will stay in their county, some will deploy to help. And each state and the feds have Go Teams that are comprised of members across the area that respond to help locals departments in disaster areas, both before and after. Also keep in mind that many of these same responders are also Red Cross volunteers and National Guard members, among other organizations. They can and will also be called up in these situations.

Instead of complaining about a football game can we keep in mind that there are people alive today that soon won't be. I hope not but it will happen. Also there are families that will soon loose everything they own, including many things that can never be replaced. And they will be affected for the rest of their lives. I've been through more of these than I care to remember as a GT member in three states. I still keep in touch with people I met while trying to help them. And to be honest I don't give a hot damn about this game being called off. Many people have much more important things to be worried about. And I'm done on here.
Thank you, sir!

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:15 pm

Everybody needs to understand this is some serious sh*t.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 pm

At this time more than ever App Sate Fans, Make An Impact.
Attachments
095802E8-C5DC-43C2-BBEC-7AD0292AD7B1.jpeg
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Despite what might or might not have happened behind the scenes, official word is that this was a mutual decision between both schools.

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
I may be in the minority, but this storm will have minimal impact on the high country and seems like a PR motivated move.

Oh well.
Or forced by our chancellor who panicked yesterday and cancelled classes for 2 days.
In my day, classes weren't cancelled for anything less than 30"+ snows. In fact in my entire time in Boone thee start of second semester was pushed back once for weather and that was it.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Wish I was hard like sum of yall.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

Oh well.
agreed

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Woodstovegang wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:54 pm
Saint3333 wrote:

Oh well.
agreed
But why does it matter what the motivation was behind it? The lives and safety of others is taking a front seat here. Why is that something to be questioned or pushed back against? I'm sorry, but people's safety > App State football, regardless of the motivation. I bleed black and gold, but I don't believe that we should put others at risk for any game.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:22 am

To piggy back off of what 8993 is saying, these decisions were not made in haste. There are literally hundreds of factors in play with this decision and all of them centered around safety. The one thing that I can say about a football game is that I have been excited about a win and I have been disappointed about a loss, but my life went on. Some, sadly will not be so fortunate after this storm passes.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:08 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:22 am
To piggy back off of what 8993 is saying, these decisions were not made in haste. There are literally hundreds of factors in play with this decision and all of them centered around safety. The one thing that I can say about a football game is that I have been excited about a win and I have been disappointed about a loss, but my life went on. Some, sadly will not be so fortunate after this storm passes.
One more voice of reason,'94. Good post.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:47 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:29 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 pm
20% chance of rain Saturday. I get that MUCH more important things are happening in the state, but...
but what?

Does anyone (not you specifically, this is to everyone who's complained about this decision) want to hear a news reporter say "a family drowned because emergency crews were under staffed?" and know that 25 officers were busy watching ticket lines at Kidd Brewer instead of helping people? That's not hyperbole, it's reality.
First, I guess I'm past the point of caring. But... as of now Clemson is still scheduled to play GaSo. I'm not a first responder, but I've been to games at Clemson and I feel like it takes more state-level resources to put on a game there than it does in Boone. I also, feel like, Statesboro is under more threat from the storm than Hattiesburg. But.. what do I know.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:28 am

I guess if you have lived through a devastating storm you understand their call. I have lived through a few. I for one support their call. I don't like the fact that I will miss the game. I do support what was a difficult decision.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Apparently with the cancellation of Marshall @ South Carolina flying back (in the storm) was a major part of the decision. Stands to reason Southern Miss flying back out would also be a problem. In the case of Georgia Southern, they're bussing to Clemson. IE they don't have to fly and that concern is alleviated.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:39 pm

firemoose wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:42 pm
Just a little suggestion. Why don't we leave the discussion of what First Responders, (fire, ems, law enforcement, etc) do and don't do to those of us who actually know. While it's true that most local members will stay in their county, some will deploy to help. And each state and the feds have Go Teams that are comprised of members across the area that respond to help locals departments in disaster areas, both before and after. Also keep in mind that many of these same responders are also Red Cross volunteers and National Guard members, among other organizations. They can and will also be called up in these situations.

Instead of complaining about a football game can we keep in mind that there are people alive today that soon won't be. I hope not but it will happen. Also there are families that will soon loose everything they own, including many things that can never be replaced. And they will be affected for the rest of their lives. I've been through more of these than I care to remember as a GT member in three states. I still keep in touch with people I met while trying to help them. And to be honest I don't give a hot damn about this game being called off. Many people have much more important things to be worried about. And I'm done on here.
Amen brother. Even though the storm has downgraded, so was Hugo and it did some serious damage. My dad was CMPD in Charlotte during Hugo and I remember him having to leave the house during the middle of the storm. We tend not to think about our first responders who have to be on call for whatever may happen when a “logistical nighmare event” like a hurricane hits. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
The Appalachian State

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:41 am

We have become a fearfilled nation!
Last edited by GreatAppSt on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”