Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Pros and cons of or experience Saturday

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Pros and cons of or experience Saturday

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am

Pros:
1. Weather couldn't have been better for us on the East Side
2. The few G-W fans we encounter were classy and positive about the game and atmosphere
3. Talked to one of my former students/players who had graduated from G-W with his fiancee whose some was one of the players for G-W...number 28, a rather small RB.
4. Got a Bojangles $50 gift card as well as a $5 and two one buck ones from the very nice student who was passing out them after the game. (never have gotten anything but $1's before at an App game nor Checkers matches
5. The run up score enabled probably most of our roster to play, get experience, and recognition that they may not get the rest of the season.
6. The recognition of former players as well as Jerry Moore.
7. The band was good.
8. The cheerleaders who did many multiple back flips in the end zone.
9. The Appalette dance team got a chance to perform on the field.
10. Enjoyed conversing with the grad/fan behind us. Had an exceptional knowledge of the game and players even though he spent his high school years in the marching band at RJ Reynolds.
11. Motel in Wilkesboro was quiet, clean, and inexpensive.
12. The one who scanned the ticket on the East Side was faster than normal ones
13. Traffic was relatively light coming and going on I-77. Not always the case
14. Adventist Church members were passing out hot dogs, cold water and chips
15. Lack of ice was no problem for us since we hydrated on the way to the game
16. Bought a nice App jacket and a notebook at the quick stop at the book store . Fast efficient service
17. Recognition of the cadets was an inspiring event
18. Execution of plays both at the ball and away from the ball was near flawless
19. Sportsmanship overall was great on the field by both teams
20. Relatively few injuries

Cons
1. Students who couldn't handle their alcohol were obnoxiously drunk, rude, throwing down beer cans and bottles on the way to the stadium
2. Ticket booth girl talked to fellow students instead of being conscientious about her duty and job.
3. She sent me to the wrong location and laughed about it when we got back
4. Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that
5. Eighty dollars for a run up game was not a bargain to say the least,a lthough I still say we enjoyed the game anyway

Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appgrad2010

Re: Pros and cons of or experience Saturday

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:59 am

Where was the 2008 team? I only saw 3 former student-athletes on the field with Jerry Moore when they recognized them...wast this rescheduled from previous week. Still surprised not more former players from that team weren't in attendance...

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:47 am

appgrad2010 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:59 am

Where was the 2008 team? I only saw 3 former student-athletes on the field with Jerry Moore when they recognized them...wast this rescheduled from previous week. Still surprised not more former players from that team weren't in attendance...
Me, too.
Google SUX

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm

A major pro to me was having the band out of the end zone along with no temp bleachers. It also helped keep the students in a more concentrated area.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm

"1. Students who couldn't handle their alcohol were obnoxiously drunk, rude, throwing down beer cans and bottles on the way to the stadium"

Who said we dont have traditions??????????????? :D :D :D

CharlotteApp05

Unread post by CharlotteApp05 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Yes - Football alumni and 2008 recognition was pushed back from USM. I talked to several guys who planned on coming up last week, but couldn't make it for the GW game. And yes it definitely was a much smaller crowd than usual.

I'll say another positive. When they played Mountain Music and started the pregame, the energy on the field was electric. The recent speaker and video board upgrades make a huge game day difference.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:33 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm
Yes - Football alumni and 2008 recognition was pushed back from USM. I talked to several guys who planned on coming up last week, but couldn't make it for the GW game. And yes it definitely was a much smaller crowd than usual.

I'll say another positive. When they played Mountain Music and started the pregame, the energy on the field was electric. The recent speaker and video board upgrades make a huge game day difference.
Agree on all points.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:34 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm
A major pro to me was having the band out of the end zone along with no temp bleachers. It also helped keep the students in a more concentrated area.

True. Forgot that one. The band needed a bit more room though. They were jammed in.
Google SUX

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:37 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:34 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:49 pm

True. Forgot that one. The band needed a bit more room though. They were jammed in.
The band was supposed to be on the east side in the corner by the hill, but according to some folks, athletics "forgot they sold tickets there" and had to put them in the west student section.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:01 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am
Pros:
1. Weather couldn't have been better for us on the East Side
2. The few G-W fans we encounter were classy and positive about the game and atmosphere
3. Talked to one of my former students/players who had graduated from G-W with his fiancee whose some was one of the players for G-W...number 28, a rather small RB.
4. Got a Bojangles $50 gift card as well as a $5 and two one buck ones from the very nice student who was passing out them after the game. (never have gotten anything but $1's before at an App game nor Checkers matches
5. The run up score enabled probably most of our roster to play, get experience, and recognition that they may not get the rest of the season.
7. The band was good.
8. The cheerleaders who did many multiple back flips in the end zone.
9. The Appalette dance team got a chance to perform on the field.
10. Enjoyed conversing with the grad/fan behind us. Had an exceptional knowledge of the game and players even though he spent his high school years in the marching band at RJ Reynolds.
11. Motel in Wilkesboro was quiet, clean, and inexpensive.
12. The one who scanned the ticket on the East Side was faster than normal ones
13. Traffic was relatively light coming and going on I-77. Not always the case
14. Adventist Church members were passing out hot dogs, cold water and chips
15. Lack of ice was no problem for us since we hydrated on the way to the game
16. Bought a nice App jacket and a notebook at the quick stop at the book store . Fast efficient service
17. Recognition of the cadets was an inspiring event
18. Execution of plays both at the ball and away from the ball was near flawless
19. Sportsmanship overall was great on the field by both teams
20. Relatively few injuries

Cons
1. Students who couldn't handle their alcohol were obnoxiously drunk, rude, throwing down beer cans and bottles on the way to the stadium
2. Ticket booth girl talked to fellow students instead of being conscientious about her duty and job.
3. She sent me to the wrong location and laughed about it when we got back
4. Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that
5. Eighty dollars for a run up game was not a bargain to say the least,a lthough I still say we enjoyed the game anyway

Now for the ones who think I have a negative miserable life....beat that
Definite pro was the new black handrails going up the middle of the isles on west side.

GOAPPS37

Unread post by GOAPPS37 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:58 am

I never went to the Beer Garden but it did not look like it was well attended which is no surprise to me. Why would you want to buy a beer outside the stadium if you can get one out of a cooler at a tailgate? Why isn't the Beer Garden inside the stadium like other colleges have?

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 am

GOAPPS37 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:58 am
I never went to the Beer Garden but it did not look like it was well attended which is no surprise to me. Why would you want to buy a beer outside the stadium if you can get one out of a cooler at a tailgate? Why isn't the Beer Garden inside the stadium like other colleges have?
I look at the beer garden is our first step towards alcohol sales inside the stadium. Gives them a chance to test the waters without fully committing to inside sales.

I agree that right now it's kind of pointless for those of us that are serious about tailgating. I can see casual, walk up, or even visiting fans as a group more likely to take advantage of it in its current state.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 am

NO.2 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 am
GOAPPS37 wrote:
I look at the beer garden is our first step towards alcohol sales inside the stadium. Gives them a chance to test the waters without fully committing to inside sales.

I agree that right now it's kind of pointless for those of us that are serious about tailgating. I can see casual, walk up, or even visiting fans as a group more likely to take advantage of it in its current state.
A first step is exactly what this is. As we know, App normally isn't on the cutting edge of things, we get there, but we test the waters first. I'm sure they're getting metrics off of it and seeing how the relationship with the vendors go. I'm sure something may be implemented fully when we get the new North End zone facilities.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:03 am

Not everyone is able to tailgate so it's a nice alternative and as mentioned a first step to getting a beer garden inside the stadium. Also, I heard that they ran out of beer, can anyone confirm?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 am

Can you go to the bier garten without a ticket for the game?

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:23 am

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 am
Can you go to the bier garten without a ticket for the game?
Yes, it's located outside of the stadium.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:43 am

GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 am
NO.2 wrote:
GOAPPS37 wrote:

A first step is exactly what this is. As we know, App normally isn't on the cutting edge of things, we get there, but we test the waters first. I'm sure they're getting metrics off of it and seeing how the relationship with the vendors go. I'm sure something may be implemented fully when we get the new North End zone facilities.
We were the first school in the nation to offer a major in beer (Fermination Sciences). If there's any school that needs to sell beer in its stadium it's us.

I'd like to see nothing but craft beer venders and food trucks on the concourse behind the score board ASAP. We're on the verge of having one of the best stadium experiences in the country if the squares don't scare our leaders off.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:58 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:43 am
GregPercussion wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 am
NO.2 wrote:
GOAPPS37 wrote:

We were the first school in the nation to offer a major in beer (Fermination Sciences). If there's any school that needs to sell beer in its stadium it's us.

I'd like to see nothing but craft beer venders and food trucks on the concourse behind the score board ASAP. We're on the verge of having one of the best stadium experiences in the country if the squares don't scare our leaders off.
I caught a beeper a few weeks ago and the driver was a senior in Fermentation Sciences. He told me that they are shutting the program down due to a lack of funding.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:58 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:07 pm
"1. Students who couldn't handle their alcohol were obnoxiously drunk, rude, throwing down beer cans and bottles on the way to the stadium"

Who said we dont have traditions??????????????? :D :D :D
One of my first memories at an App game involves seeing some dude trip walking down the hill and face planting in the concrete. He was taken out of the stadium in an ambulance. Also saw someone being dragged out because they were unable to walk.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:17 pm

When I went to the Lafayette game 2 years ago they sold beer in the stadium-it was their brand. I assumed it was brewed right there on campus. They had a regular and a light. And it was good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”