Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Group of 5 power rankings: Appalachian State moving up fast

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Group of 5 power rankings: Appalachian State moving up fast

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:45 pm

EastHallApp

Re: Group of 5 power rankings: Appalachian State moving up fast

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:21 pm

All on one page to save others from having to click through that annoying format:

1. UCF
2. Boise State
3. App
Appalachian State looked like an elite team in their Week 1 overtime battle with Penn State. They have done nothing to break that notion in their three games since. The Mountaineers have outscored their last three opponents–Charlotte, Gardner-Webb, and South Alabama–169-23.

Sophomore quarterback Zac Thomas is a first-year starter who has been the key to the Appalachian St. offense. He threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more in their Week 5 victory.

Senior running back Jalin Moore is well on his way to his third-straight 1,000-yard season. His 123 yards rushing against South Alabama give him 368 through the team’s first four games. He also ran for two scores in Week 5.

4. BYU (not actually G5 but whatever)
5. Cincinnati
6. Fresno State
7. Houston
8. South Florida
9. Army (also not G5)
10. North Texas

Honorable mention: Troy, San Diego State

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:27 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:21 pm
All on one page to save others from having to click through that annoying format:

1. UCF
2. Boise State
3. App
Appalachian State looked like an elite team in their Week 1 overtime battle with Penn State. They have done nothing to break that notion in their three games since. The Mountaineers have outscored their last three opponents–Charlotte, Gardner-Webb, and South Alabama–169-23.

Sophomore quarterback Zac Thomas is a first-year starter who has been the key to the Appalachian St. offense. He threw for two touchdowns and ran for two more in their Week 5 victory.

Senior running back Jalin Moore is well on his way to his third-straight 1,000-yard season. His 123 yards rushing against South Alabama give him 368 through the team’s first four games. He also ran for two scores in Week 5.

5. Cincinnati
6. Fresno State
7. Houston
8. South Florida
9. Army (also not G5)
10. North Texas

I agree that BYU shouldn't really be a G5, even though they are technically considered one. Army is G5 though.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:39 pm

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:27 pm
EastHallApp wrote:

1. UCF
2. Boise State
3. App

5. Cincinnati
6. Fresno State
7. Houston
8. South Florida
9. Army (also not G5)
10. North Texas

I agree that BYU shouldn't really be a G5, even though they are technically considered one. Army is G5 though.
Neither is G5. Both are independents.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Wow!!!! BYU and Army are that much better than The Irish?!?! 😂

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:39 pm
MountaineerMafia wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

1. UCF
2. Boise State
3. App

5. Cincinnati
6. Fresno State
7. Houston
8. South Florida
9. Army (also not G5)
10. North Texas

Ok, I see where you're going there. I think most people consider them G5 though because if either of them had the record at the end of the year they would end up in the NY6 game as the 'G5' rep, even though, as you said, they are really an independent.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:22 am

MountaineerMafia wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:03 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:39 pm
MountaineerMafia wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:

1. UCF
2. Boise State
3. App

5. Cincinnati
6. Fresno State
7. Houston
8. South Florida
9. Army (also not G5)
10. North Texas

Ok, I see where you're going there. I think most people consider them G5 though because if either of them had the record at the end of the year they would end up in the NY6 game as the 'G5' rep, even though, as you said, they are really an independent.
No, that's actually the main distinction between independents and G5s - as independents, they aren't eligible for that bid. The NY6 bid goes to the highest-ranking G5 conference champion. Can't win a conference championship if you aren't in a conference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”