Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Could potential parking deck effect Raley tailgating?

YesAppCan
School: Appalachian State

Could potential parking deck effect Raley tailgating?

Unread post by YesAppCan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 am

T-Dog (Good article!), could this end tailgating in Raley as folks know it now?

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/bo ... 45acc.html

huskie3

Re: Could potential parking deck effect Raley tailgating?

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:27 am

Allowing Boone town council having a say-so in ASU parking! I do not see this as being good, look at all the hassle they create now on game days.
Bring Your A Game!

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:11 am

Don't know how I feel about a partnership with App; has it's up and down sides. However, they had a lot of ideas, and Downtown Boone needs a parking deck. They want to blend it and put retail related with it as well. It's a smart move.

JGthatsme86

Unread post by JGthatsme86 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 am

As a part time high country resident, I guess this makes sense. As a Raley lot tailgater, I hate it.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 am

Is parking an issues sometimes? Yes!

But STOP with all of these dang parking deck ideas.....UNC Charlotte has them and they look atrocious.

They will take all the true JOY out of tailgating...tailgating is not the same in a parking deck. Maybe the town of Boone (those who are so anti-ASU) need to figure out their own solution and stop encroaching on App State property.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 am

Did you notice the project manager's last name? = Trump. I bet he is kin to Donald or we can start that rumor. This parking deck will be "Huuge" and will be the "Best parking deck ever".
Give Em Hell!!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 am

87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 am
Did you notice the project manager's last name? = Trump. I bet he is kin to Donald or we can start that rumor. This parking deck will be "Huuge" and will be the "Best parking deck ever".
And Mexico will pay for it.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:36 am

87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:35 am
He's gonna make Boone Great Again!

Unread post by 8993 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am

appgrad2010 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 am

But STOP with all of these dang parking deck ideas.....UNC Charlotte has them and they look atrocious.

They will take all the true JOY out of tailgating...tailgating is not the same in a parking deck. Maybe the town of Boone (those who are so anti-ASU) need to figure out their own solution and stop encroaching on App State property.
As much as I agree that parking decks aren't absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous, Raley Lot is an eyesore to say the least. It hasn't been well maintained, it's a massive slab of asphalt in the middle of campus, and it doesn't really serve much of a purpose outside of gameday in Boone.

If we could get some green space out of it (I'm thinking a new Duck Pond Field, seeing as we are losing that) with a smaller parking deck that will allow for plenty of parking still, I'm all for it. We have to be practical here and realize that App is in the mountains, where surface parking is a commodity and not easy to find. Parking decks make more sense and will be the future of Boone parking, regardless of whether App is involved or not.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:26 am

We don't have enough open space for surface parking anymore. We need the increased parking.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:29 am

8993 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 am
appgrad2010 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 am

As much as I agree that parking decks aren't absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous, Raley Lot is an eyesore to say the least. It hasn't been well maintained, it's a massive slab of asphalt in the middle of campus, and it doesn't really serve much of a purpose outside of gameday in Boone.

If we could get some green space out of it (I'm thinking a new Duck Pond Field, seeing as we are losing that) with a smaller parking deck that will allow for plenty of parking still, I'm all for it. We have to be practical here and realize that App is in the mountains, where surface parking is a commodity and not easy to find. Parking decks make more sense and will be the future of Boone parking, regardless of whether App is involved or not.
I agree, completely. Raley has always been sort of the "ugly" lot on campus to me. The lot doesn't really flow well as is, and gives off a bit of a "community college" vibe - don't ask me what that means exactly, I just know it does, at least for me. I'm all for taking a good long look at it and seeing if we have some better options that create some flexibility year-round, even if that means another deck. If a deck meant daylighting some more of the creek in the process, then even better.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 am

Tailgating balconies of some type would be a nice compromise...so that you've got some open air space on lower levels for festivities but prob cost prohibitive.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:34 am
Tailgating balconies of some type would be a nice compromise...so that you've got some open air space on lower levels for festivities but prob cost prohibitive.
We tailgate on the top level of the Rivers Street parking deck. The 3rd or 4th level has an open air parking area that is always packed on game day. We watch those tailgaters every game and they do it up right with flags, grills (Great smells coming from there), music, cornhole...I am not sure some of them make it to the game they are having so much fun out there.
I agree that would be great for any new parking decks.
Give Em Hell!!

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Council has not even approached ASU about it folks.

App has zero incentive to solve town council's inepitude.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:42 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Council has not even approached ASU about it folks.

App has zero incentive to solve town council's inepitude.
Sooooo....you’re saying that this Trump dude thinks we’re Mexico?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm

They need to look at buying the two gray cinderblock buildings on Howard Street behind the movie theater. Far as I could tell last time I was there they're both empty with broken windows, total eyesores and is a big piece of property. Would be perfect for a downtown parking deck.

(Tried to attache Google maps screen shot for reference but I won't let me on mobile)
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:48 pm
They need to look at buying the two gray cinderblock buildings on Howard Street behind the movie theater. Far as I could tell last time I was there they're both empty with broken windows, total eyesores and is a big piece of property. Would be perfect for a downtown parking deck.

(Tried to attache Google maps screen shot for reference but I won't let me on mobile)
If it's the one I think you're talking about, that has been torn down, not sure what they're going to do with it. It's been fought over for years. https://www.wataugademocrat.com/main_st ... 2c582.html

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:18 pm

OK yeah, that's one of them. There's another next door. Google maps street view is a little old. That whole block is trashy including the apartments right there too. (I partied in there once or twice, had fun, but man they're awful).
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”