Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

How good is our Defense?

oldfart
School: Georgia Southern

Re: How good is our Defense?

Unread post by oldfart » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:26 pm

I'm old. Older than dirt. Coldest game I ever remember other than maybe Delaware.

89gradX2
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by 89gradX2 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:41 pm

One of my favorite games in App history. Had a class with some of the players that season. Professor asked them at the beginning of class how things looked for Saturday. After a few comments (that I shouldn't repeat) about some guy wearing shorts and how cold it was, professor wished them good luck and dismissed class. Absolutely the coldest game I remember. Remind my kids of that game every season when they think they are cold.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:52 pm

oldfart wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:19 pm
I was told the field wasn't covered before the game. Maybe yall didn't have a tarp, but there was about an inch of ice, I do remember that.
I’m pretty sure we don’t have a tarp now, and am over 99 percent sure we didn’t have one then, either. Paraphrasing what Erk said about cheating: tarps cost money, and we didn’t have any of that.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:43 am

Haha add another excuse to the books. "Freezing the field on purpose" 🤣

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:55 am

AppAlum1 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:14 pm
Black Sat.:

I have heard from someone who was there that the message was "Will they score?"

Late 1980s, I think; the age of the Power I. Erk Russell's first trip up the mountain. Coach Erk wore shorts that day (in the first half). It was freezing-a$$-cold at kickoff, and started snowing & by the end of the game, there was like 10 - 12 inches of snow on the ground. Things were not going well for GaSo that day (I'm trying to be nice). As the 4th quarter started, students on the grassy, horseshoe end of the stadium wrote Coach Erk a message in the snow. That message was:

"Will they score?"

Final score: 19-0. Wish I had been there. Anyone who was there for that game, please feel free to correct my rendition above.

Here's to yet another SHUTOUT on Thursday night! Go Apps!
I was there. Had a lot of anti freeze in me system that cold day 30 plus years ago. Though I remember "Can't Your Team Score" etched into the hill, and a scuffle ensuing.
BLACK SATURDAY

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:58 am

I was at that game too. Some Gnat fans had to buy ASU sweatshirts, but they were wearing them inside-out!!! LMAO!!! We dominated them from the opening kickoff.

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:15 am

Yep, 1987 was the year the hate began...

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:37 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:40 am

"Can't Your Team Score"
lmao :lol:

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:55 am

It was , "Can you score?". Vivid memories of that one , last game with Dad.

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:04 am

Is that the same game that they also wrote "GS Who" on Miller Hill in the snow? Or, am I confusing that with another year?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:28 am

oldfart wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:01 pm
I was at the App game in 1987. Yes that was funny, but Erk wasn't mad about the "sign". He was mad because yall didn't cover the field the night before and there was about a 1" of ice on it at game time. We were playing light but fast since and it was only our 4th year in 1AA and we hadn't been able to recruit any "bigger" players. We were also playing with a true freshman quarterback in a rebuilding year. App was big and slower than us and basically ran the ball right at our small all-quickness-negated 210-250lb defensive line and line backers. It was painful to watch because the option game was there, but every single damn time our qb or rb made a cut to head upfield-usually with 20 yards in front of them, they simply fell down on the icy tundra yall call a field. Apps big D line stuffed anything up the middle because our small offensive line couldn't get any traction to trap or pull the whole game. It is what it is, you have to play in all sorts of weather, but freezing the field on purpose was a bit much and my main reason for hating App State all these years. But it's a good hate, it keeps me warm.
1) I don't recall our field ever being covered.. even now when we can afford a tarp. Maybe the Eagles should learn to play big boy football and deal with the conditions like men. I mean, I understand you run a middle school offense but I didn't know the players and coaches were middle schoolers too.

2) Did they change fields every possession or something? Last I checked, both teams have to play on the same field. Or, are you insinuating App had ice melt on their cleats or something?
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:45 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:28 am
oldfart wrote:
I was at the App game in 1987. Yes that was funny, but Erk wasn't mad about the "sign". He was mad because yall didn't cover the field the night before and there was about a 1" of ice on it at game time. We were playing light but fast since and it was only our 4th year in 1AA and we hadn't been able to recruit any "bigger" players. We were also playing with a true freshman quarterback in a rebuilding year. App was big and slower than us and basically ran the ball right at our small all-quickness-negated 210-250lb defensive line and line backers. It was painful to watch because the option game was there, but every single damn time our qb or rb made a cut to head upfield-usually with 20 yards in front of them, they simply fell down on the icy tundra yall call a field. Apps big D line stuffed anything up the middle because our small offensive line couldn't get any traction to trap or pull the whole game. It is what it is, you have to play in all sorts of weather, but freezing the field on purpose was a bit much and my main reason for hating App State all these years. But it's a good hate, it keeps me warm.
1) I don't recall our field ever being covered.. even now when we can afford a tarp. Maybe the Eagles should learn to play big boy football and deal with the conditions like men. I mean, I understand you run a middle school offense but I didn't know the players and coaches were middle schoolers too.

2) Did they change fields every possession or something? Last I checked, both teams have to play on the same field. Or, are you insinuating App had ice melt on their cleats or something?
*yawn* I aknowledged that yall won. Beat us in a rebuilding year, our fourth in 1AA, and yes we did have 2 NCs under our belts at the time. Let's shout it from the mountain tops that App won that day! Yall had been 1AA for how long and had how many NCs at that time? Zero? Yeah that's what I thought. Always remember 6>3

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am

oldfart wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:45 am
*yawn* I aknowledged that yall won. Beat us in a rebuilding year, our fourth in 1AA, and yes we did have 2 NCs under our belts at the time. Let's shout it from the mountain tops that App won that day! Yall had been 1AA for how long and had how many NCs at that time? Zero? Yeah that's what I thought. Always remember 6>3
And 27 > 6... but you don't see Yale fans bragging about the distant past.. A majority of your team was still breast feeding and in diapers the last one you won. Stop living in the past!
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

BLACK SATURDAY

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am
APP leads 19-13-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachi ... ll_rivalry
Regardless of the records, this game has always seemed like a battle. I expect this one to be no different. As far as outcomes by location,
Boone - App State has 13 wins and one tie out of 18 games .764% Win.
Statesboro - Ga Southern has 9 wins out of 15 games .600 Win %.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

EF200

Unread post by EF200 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:23 pm
Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am
APP leads 19-13-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachi ... ll_rivalry
Regardless of the records, this game has always seemed like a battle. I expect this one to be no different. As far as outcomes by location,
Boone - App State has 13 wins and one tie out of 18 games .764% Win.
Statesboro - Ga Southern has 9 wins out of 15 games .600 Win %.
And may I add lousy coaching on our part 2015/16. No excuse, just part of the game.

EF200

Unread post by EF200 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Your defensive was pretty good and y'all played decent. But this was not our "SUPERBOWL" Just a rivalry game. Tough loss for your team but y'all will probably win out the rest of the season. Good luck!

oldfart

Unread post by oldfart » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:45 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:28 am
oldfart wrote:

Hmmmmm. After getting hammered by us last night, I see I’m not the only one that likes to throw excuses. Some of y’all went all out Lol

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:35 pm

Congrats to the iggles and fans. We will have you circled on our 2019 schedule! Best of luck for rest of '18 season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”