Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

We rise....

bigdaddyg
School: Appalachian State

Re: We rise....

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 pm
We don't need 24. 8 means every league gets a shot and still preserves the "every game matters" mantra. I don't want to see 3 loss teams playing for a title.

5 P5 conference champions, 2 at large, top rated G5.
The conference champion piece is ridiculous in my opinion. Let’s say that somehow Pitt knocks off Clemson in the ACC title game and is 9-4 with a loss to UNC but a crazy upset winner in the championship, is that really a legit playoff team? Why get rewarded for being in a conference with a bad division? I realize where this thread is headed but could not resist.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:22 pm

So you would rather put LSU back in knowing that they got shutout by Bama on their home field? Or the loser of Ohio St/Michigan in?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 pm

So you would rather put LSU back in knowing that they got shutout by Bama on their home field? Or the loser of Ohio St/Michigan in? If you are only putting in the so called best teams, then they should win their conference. And if your not going to do it the what would 95% of the teams line up and play?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:15 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
We don't need 24. 8 means every league gets a shot and still preserves the "every game matters" mantra. I don't want to see 3 loss teams playing for a title.

The conference champion piece is ridiculous in my opinion. Let’s say that somehow Pitt knocks off Clemson in the ACC title game and is 9-4 with a loss to UNC but a crazy upset winner in the championship, is that really a legit playoff team? Why get rewarded for being in a conference with a bad division? I realize where this thread is headed but could not resist.
Then why have conference championship games? If they don't mean anything except the possibility of knocking the better team out of the playoff? Eliminate them and add in another bye week.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

Yes to this. Gives the G5 squads something more to play for, keeps the integrity for the P5s. If you lose your Conference title, you need to hope that your schedule was good enough to get an at large. An 8 team playoff is the only valid way to do it right now to give those deserving an honest shot. I do not think UCF would be a quality contender this year, but definitely would have made a little noise in an 8 team playoff last season.
The Appalachian State

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 am

appstatealum wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

Yes to this. Gives the G5 squads something more to play for, keeps the integrity for the P5s. If you lose your Conference title, you need to hope that your schedule was good enough to get an at large. An 8 team playoff is the only valid way to do it right now to give those deserving an honest shot. I do not think UCF would be a quality contender this year, but definitely would have made a little noise in an 8 team playoff last season.
My idea is close to this but with a tweak. I know Unlikely, but I would do away with the at-large & institute a ‘must be conference champ’ criteria. All P5 champions in, then top 3 rated G5 conference champions. This gives the G5 a legit fighting chance & encourages playing tougher schedules. If just 1 G5 gets in, we will always be paired against the #1 seed.

I say if a Clemson loses to a Pitt in CCG, then they are SOL. They lost in a single elimination round. Everyone knows the rules going in.

Regular Season - Round 1
CCG’s - Round 2
Elite 8 - Round 3
Final 4 - Round 4
Natty C - Round 5

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:12 am

AppDawg wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 am
appstatealum wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

My idea is close to this but with a tweak. I know Unlikely, but I would do away with the at-large & institute a ‘must be conference champ’ criteria. All P5 champions in, then top 3 rated G5 conference champions. This gives the G5 a legit fighting chance & encourages playing tougher schedules. If just 1 G5 gets in, we will always be paired against the #1 seed.

I say if a Clemson loses to a Pitt in CCG, then they are SOL. They lost in a single elimination round. Everyone knows the rules going in.

Regular Season - Round 1
CCG’s - Round 2
Elite 8 - Round 3
Final 4 - Round 4
Natty C - Round 5
How do you factor Notre Dame into all of this?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:58 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:12 am
AppDawg wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Regular Season - Round 1
CCG’s - Round 2
Elite 8 - Round 3
Final 4 - Round 4
Natty C - Round 5
How do you factor Notre Dame into all of this?
Force them to join the ACC... none of this right foot in BS.

Good point. Totally forgot about the independents... so make it the top 3 G5 conference champions / Independent schools. However, the Independent has to be ranked in at least top 10 of the CFP to jump over a G5 conference champion.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 am

AppDawg wrote:
appstatealum wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:

Regular Season - Round 1
CCG’s - Round 2
Elite 8 - Round 3
Final 4 - Round 4
Natty C - Round 5
Not bad. I would certainly like it, but the big boys will never go for it. That's why I think the atleast one guaranteed G5 spot is more realistic. The degrees of seperation are certainly getting smaller between G5 and P5, but they will do whatever they can to keep G5 out.
The Appalachian State

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 am

Let’s face it the FCS format worked just fine

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am

I have no problem with the current system.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:03 am

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff as that's the only way I can see a G5 team having an opportunity. Otherwise, while there are some tweaks I'd like to see, I actually like the bowl system.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:57 pm

8 teams with at least one guaranteed G5 and all P5 conference champs would accomplish the goal. It gives everybody (including G5) a path to a possible championship and allows for two "wild card" teams to account for the anomalous CCG results....or a deserving independent if there is one.

If the goal is to name a national champion, we don't need 24 teams. There are nowhere near 24 teams with any legit claim to a national championship track. Frankly, I thought it was ridiculous when FCS went from 16 to 24.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:31 pm

APPdiesel wrote:

This is exact model I would go with and ONLY one with a REASONABLE shot for a G-5. Diesel, with you being in the industry, what do you hear and believe is the likelihood of this set up?

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm

It is simply NOT HEALTHY for college football for "underdogs" not to have ANY chance. I've said for years that if things ever get bad enough, G-5's should just tell P-5's---No more scheduling our teams... Beat yourselves up!

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:22 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:31 pm
APPdiesel wrote:

This is exact model I would go with and ONLY one with a REASONABLE shot for a G-5. Diesel, with you being in the industry, what do you hear and believe is the likelihood of this set up?
All of the national pundits that we've had on have said "we need a few more years of the 4 team setup to really know what we have" which, in some ways *IS* true. But that's what it will take...about half a dozen Matt Murschels or Brett McMurphys talking about how the system is unfairly stacked and a CFP buster like UCF beating on the door every single year.

The deck is most definitely stacked against G5 schools. Look at UCF. They got shafted in the 2nd CFP poll. 8-0 and still at #12 behind a 2 loss Kentucky???

5-2-1 is the most fair scenario that still protects the regular season. In most years the best team in each league should take at least 3 of those 5 spots. It allows for a Cinderella story in the event a lesser team pulls an upset in their CCG. It allows the committee the freedom to put a team back in that may have been upset. Plus gives the G5 a legitimate shot.
Last edited by APPdiesel on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

CornCobPipes

Unread post by CornCobPipes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:32 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:35 pm
Unfortunately, College Football, especially in the G5, leaves little to no room for error to accomplish something out of the ordinary. The fact that is takes lottery type odds to have a UCF type season for our level versus a 2-loss team being considered for a 4 team playoff is a joke.
Truth bites sometimes......but I love a realist....by the same token I like the level of challenge we are at now vs the old FCS days.
KICK ASS!!!

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:40 pm

P5 conference champ vs G5 conference champ

All P5's should agree since they are far SUPERIOR!!!!!!!!!

SEC vs SunBelt
Acc vs Conf USA
Mac vs Big
Mtwest vs Pac
Big12 vs Aac

Play at neutral site All Conference champs make playoffs.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 pm

YesAppCan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm
It is simply NOT HEALTHY for college football for "underdogs" not to have ANY chance. I've said for years that if things ever get bad enough, G-5's should just tell P-5's---No more scheduling our teams... Beat yourselves up!
That doesn't work financially. The G5's need the big paychecks.

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:49 am

WASU 93 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:47 pm
YesAppCan wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:33 pm
That doesn't work financially. The G5's need the big paychecks.
It doesn't, but neither would half the P-5 schools with all the extra losses on their schedule due to playing each other work. The bottom 2/3's of P-5's would be "demanding" a fairer shake against the Alabamas of the world. It exposes the reality of the haves and have nots, I guess you could say.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”