Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Can we finally admit Fox is not the answer?

AppinATL
School: Appalachian State

Re: Can we finally admit Fox is not the answer?

Unread post by AppinATL » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:41 am

I like the man. A lot. But I do admit I’m running on fumes in the patience tank for this program. Same frustrating characteristics: poor free throw shooting, poor on-court discipline, total cluelessness on how to finish a game.

No improvement in these areas at all. The talent is there now. These guys need to be taught how to win.

Fox has done a great job getting us back on a good academic footing which is great, and hes done some good recruiting. I am really hoping we find something and put together a good conference record but time is running out.

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:37 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:29 am
Maybe...the lack of game ending plays sure but fellas we got screwed by the refs. Foul on Shabazz going to the basket, Secat getting a 5th foul for a call where the EC U player pushed his own player in the back on a putback and the offensive goaltending that was so obvious. At least 8 points
Easy to say that. Did you see the 40 foot three pointer thrown up while up by one in transition???

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:52 pm

This ship sailed last year. A "nice" finish and a coach who is a good guy, along with a desire for some consistency and to avoid having to conduct another job search, led to an extension. Recruiting logistics also played a part. All bad. All the way around. I just don't see the light and can't find much hope. What's the buyout? We're gonna need it - if Satt leaves maybe we can allocate some of that buyout towards Fox.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm not happy either, but we did finish 5th last season, so massive progress made, and I say he deserves this full year to show us if things are still trending upward. Minus the ECU game (choke job), this year has probably gone as expected. As I said before, I don't blame missed free throws on a coach, but consistently poor D, that needs to change. We just gave up too many points to Howard.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am

AppOrange wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 pm
I'm not happy either, but we did finish 5th last season, so massive progress made, and I say he deserves this full year to show us if things are still trending upward. Minus the ECU game (choke job), this year has probably gone as expected. As I said before, I don't blame missed free throws on a coach, but consistently poor D, that needs to change. We just gave up too many points to Howard.
After we held Howard to 86 points, their points per game average has dipped to 88.4 points. They had two players who know how to score. They turned it over just 7 times, but couldn't hit a three to save their lives. We were ten points favorites coming in, and we covered. We held serve. I'll take it. Next challenge is NC Central. They are 4-5 on the season, but two of those losses are to Clemson and Cinci.

dman4x

Unread post by dman4x » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:29 pm

What is the question? Currently, App is ranked 179 in KenPom rankings. If you look at the play of the schools ranked 100-178 you will see the same "coaching" problems (bad decisions, selfish play, poor execution) in higher ranked teams with more traditional basketball profiles. I have watched a lot of those top 200 teams. This program can progress into the middle of that mass of teams this year and it still won't look like top 50 basketball, even when playing lesser teams. Is this program better off than before Fox, ABSOLUTELY. Are you better off rolling the dice on another coach maybe. I think you need to evaluate this at year end. In the mean time, attend some games, give them your support. If it doesn't work out DG will do his job

mountainman33

Unread post by mountainman33 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 pm

I’m waiting to see how conference play goes. If there isn’t a winning record in Sun Belt play, I think the time has come. I totally respect the guy, but he’s had enough time to build the program. Talent is there, they just need different coaching.
-----------------------------------
Class of 2003 :geek:
Go Apps!!!
Former Austin Alumni Chapter President

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Doesn’t Bibby come back in January?

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:23 pm

bigCasu wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am
AppOrange wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:12 pm
After we held Howard to 86 points, their points per game average has dipped to 88.4 points. They had two players who know how to score. They turned it over just 7 times, but couldn't hit a three to save their lives. We were ten points favorites coming in, and we covered. We held serve. I'll take it. Next challenge is NC Central. They are 4-5 on the season, but two of those losses are to Clemson and Cinci.
I think we are on the same page but can't completely tell. My point is that I still believe in Coach unlike so many, especially on this thread. Good progress has been made in my book in the classroom, recruiting and the offensive side of the ball. Defensively we are letting teams score at a click of 79.7 points a game, good for 317th out of 351 and this is before the Howard game. Only time will tell, but we have serious issues on D, especially down low. This is my main concern.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:26 pm

I will never fault Fox for the situation he inherited. He has completely turned around the classroom which was huge. However it is very important to start winning games against peer opponents. I am very concerned with how he coaches in close games still.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:10 am

Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:26 pm
I will never fault Fox for the situation he inherited. He has completely turned around the classroom which was huge. However it is very important to start winning games against peer opponents. I am very concerned with how he coaches in close games still.
I agree, he now has the horses to win more games. The most disconcerting losses to me were the WCU games for 2 years in a row (both of which I attended) and the ECU game on Friday. Those losses were against mediocre (at best) teams and we appeared to be the more talented group in those games. I would even argue that those WCU teams were better than the ECU team that just beat us. We will see Sun Belt teams that are much better than ECU, so hopefully we get it together for conference play.

Also, I know that Fox essentially runs Davidson's system, but it seems that we just do it with much less efficiency. The system creates open shots, but we have to be able to get long rebounds on misses, and get back on defense. We won't be able to simply outscore other teams and not play defense every night.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:00 am

You can teach defense , or you can't.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”