Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Brown & Ponce Gone...

asugoapps

Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by asugoapps » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 pm

Reporting that Brown and Ponce are Satterfield’s first hires. Not surprised.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/s ... 397c0.html
Last edited by asugoapps on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

biggie
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone?

Unread post by biggie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm

And the downward spiral starts (IMO).

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 pm
You never feel good about anything.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:17 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 pm
biggie wrote:
You never feel good about anything.
Felt great about next year with everything that was in place.

Just hard to imagine living up to what I thought could have been an undefeated season with all the turnover that will happen.

My focus has been on next year. That was a big chance for the team/school to me. I’m sure with good hires we will recover in the long run (couple years). Just hate to see a good opportunity go to waste possibly. And of course hope I’m wrong.

I consider myself a realist. I guess it comes off as pessimist to most. I just can’t look at all this turnover with black and gold glasses like some. I’m not alone based on other alumni that I know in everyday life that have given their opinion to me in passing.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 pm

I’ll just leave for a while to keep yall sheltered from my opinions.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 pm

This is not unexpected, no surprises yet. I think Clark may go as well, but probably after the Bowl game.

As the days have passed, I am really feeling good about our future. I think a hungry candidate will come in here with a lot of enthusiasm and take us up a notch. This team is young and the culture is already instilled in them, it will be most important to have the new staff nurture this mentality and rely on the kids to pass it along year to year as new kids come in. DG seems to have a great head on his shoulders and I feel bad that I have not been more confident in him with this. I know this didn’t sneak up on him, he probably has been working on this all season to some degree.
The Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 pm

biggie wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 pm
I’ll just leave for a while to keep yall sheltered from my opinions.
You are fine Biggie. It does not hurt to have differing opinions or feelings on everything. It will help keep us all balanced.
The Appalachian State

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 am

biggie wrote:
We may hire a head coach who will go get some name guys from the ACC and SEC or even risers in those leagues. We just don't know yet. I hate to lose Bryan Brown but I have felt our play calling could improve on offense so I feel good about the chance to replace Ponce with a good one.

The bottom line is we just don't know if we will be equal, better, or worse. When we first hired Brown we did not know what to expect and he has turned out to be very good. Maybe we get the next Bryan Brown caliber DC next year? Who knows. I'm just not going to say the sky is falling until I see it start to.

You could be right or wrong on this. I'm saying let's wait and see.

As for Scott taking these guys it is like I tried to tell folks before. Satterfield is NO LONGER a Mountaineer. He is an alumnus but he is NOW a Louisville CARDINAL. He will take our coaches, commits, etc if he can get them to come and believes they can help him. They are paying him too much money to show any loyalty to us. I would not be surprised if he made offers to everyone he was planning to keep around next year and bring them to Louisville.

He recommendation will carry a lot of weight in all departments dealing with football. You can bet if he recommends someone for culture who works in video, S&C, nutrition, trainers, etc the AD is going to listen and if qualified (which they would be) probably take them. I can see Scott being given a heavy voice.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am

I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am
I’m not gonna lie I’m pissed. If App can’t even keep an App Alum from bailing to a bottom dweller P5 team what’s to stop the next person from using app as their stepping stone. The fact that other coaches at bailing as well before the bowl game is just the cherry on top. Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
Well there you go. It is and we have to deal with it

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:05 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Apparently the literal worst of the ACC is a better job than coaching one of the best in the G5
Well, of course that's true... Just like bottom of the G5 is better than anywhere than FCS. We didn't know we'd achieve this level of success ever, much less as soon as we did, after moving to the Sun Belt. We hoped, but nothing was a lock. That's part of why we moved. Every single HC job, without exception, is a better gig with more upside and greater visibility than NDSU, JMU, or whomever else is at/near the top of the FCS heap these days. There's a solid pecking order and we're paying our dues. This is something we're building for future generations. Fixing basketball should be equal in priority to maintaining status quo in football. That's the only way we move up another rung on the ladder.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:17 am

BTK2000 wrote:

Bottom dweller? I mean, yeah, Louisville had a HORRIBLE season and the cupboard is pretty bare...but the Cards are a couple years removed from being in playoff discussions for a bit. Most years they'll be top-quarter, or at least top-half of the ACC. They are one of the better funded athletic departments in the country and will give Satt all the resources he needs to be successful. I just hope, for his sake, they give him time. I think he can keep lots of KY/OH talent home and if he can keep pulling FL/GA talent...he'll be okay.

As for us being a stepping stone to the P5...well, duh. Are you seriously just now figuring that out? I can't imagine any up-and-coming coach setting foot in Boone and saying, "Yes! This is where I'll be for the rest of my life!". And that's not a knock on us, or Boone, or the High Country - it's simply a statement of fact. To 99% we are a stepping stone. And until we can find our way into the AAC or a P5 spot that is what we'll be. If we aren't a stepping stone then that either means 1:) Our program has lost it luster and we're the bottom dweller, of a G5 conference no less, 2:) we're recruiting coaches with not enough talent/ambition/likeability to move higher themselves, or 3:) we're "sticking by" a coach with a hard-line love for APP simply because they won't leave us and little fissures begin to develop around the program as a result. None of those sound good to me. The days of Jerry Moore are, for the most part, gone. It's not ideal to expect coaches to leave every 3/4/5 years but that means we're being successful on the field and the program is viewed as a winner. I'll take that any day - so let em' come, let em' win, and let em' move on if they feel they have to, and maybe one day we can find ourselves in a spot where we can compete with "bottom-dwellers" like Louisville with $20+ million dollar contracts.

postalapp90

Re: Brown & Ponce Gone...

Unread post by postalapp90 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 am

asugoapps wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:40 pm
Reporting that Brown and Ponce are Satterfield’s first hires. Not surprised.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/s ... 397c0.html
Woody being in limbo really hurt is. I feel Satt would have taken him over Brown if he was available due to way more experience with the 3 4 defense. Brown is in his mid 30s and if he has success like he had at App he will be taken by a bigger name school within 5 years.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:35 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Some of us may want to take a step back and hard look at where APP actually fits in the college football world. I know they are #1 in all our hearts, but the pay scale Scott stepped into should be a primer for us all. Anyone of us that works everyday would change zip codes for that kind of jack, especially with the potential to make their program meaningful in a few seasons. If you don't you aren't being truthful.
Louisville is on a downer at the moment as is most of the ACC, caused by some bad hires. It wasn't long ago Louisville was in the top 5 and had a Heisman Trophy. If I'm Louisville, who do I fear in the ACC other than Clemson? Louisville has lots of corporate sponsorship and their athletic program is in the top 20 revenue producing schools. Satt is a good hire based on his track record. We all hate it for ourselves, but the iron was hot for him to move up.
Gillen is vested in our program and we all should have confidence he's going to make the right hire real soon and there's no reason we can't meet our potential in 2019.
BLACK SATURDAY

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:53 am

I can’t blame Satt for taking his staff and can’t blame them for going. They aren’t guaranteed a spot on the next head coach’s staff. He may bring his own. I will have a problem if Satt starts taking players, although I can’t see much of that happening given he’ll be recruiting players as good as our best routinely.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:25 am

The best way to keep our coaches is to have 7-5 seasons. After all our school trains students to succeed. We now have established a PhD in Coaching at App.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am

At least with SS leaving it has lit a fire under some Yosef Club members and non Yosef Club members who are stepping up to the plate to make sure our next coach has the type of financial backing to encourage them to stay at App
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 am
biggie wrote:
We may hire a head coach who will go get some name guys from the ACC and SEC or even risers in those leagues. We just don't know yet. I hate to lose Bryan Brown but I have felt our play calling could improve on offense so I feel good about the chance to replace Ponce with a good one.

The bottom line is we just don't know if we will be equal, better, or worse. When we first hired Brown we did not know what to expect and he has turned out to be very good. Maybe we get the next Bryan Brown caliber DC next year? Who knows. I'm just not going to say the sky is falling until I see it start to.

You could be right or wrong on this. I'm saying let's wait and see.

As for Scott taking these guys it is like I tried to tell folks before. Satterfield is NO LONGER a Mountaineer. He is an alumnus but he is NOW a Louisville CARDINAL. He will take our coaches, commits, etc if he can get them to come and believes they can help him. They are paying him too much money to show any loyalty to us. I would not be surprised if he made offers to everyone he was planning to keep around next year and bring them to Louisville.

He will even make hires in other departments such as video, S&C, nutrition, trainers, etc to establish a culture. You know the Louisville AD is going to say yes to whatever Scott says he needs.
If the university allows him to hire athletic trainers then that means he'll have the ability to fire them. That is absolutely positively stupid, asinine, dumb, and counter-productive to a sports medicine program. The NCAA has stated that SpMed should be autonomous from all athletic department influences. As long as there is a coach meddling in that department there will always be another Maryland just waiting to rear up. Sorry to rant on you but the athletic trainer comment got to me; I'm a product of the ASU SpMed program and a 38 year veteran of high schools.
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:56 am

BTK2000 wrote:
Welcome to reality. We can either embrace it and make the best of it, or not. Boise has embraced it. UCF has embraced it. UL is two years removed from be a top 5 program. It's one of the better jobs in the ACC. The departure hurts, but it was inevitable. An App coach going from Boone to 3.25 mil per at a G5 will make the job more attractive.

yosef13

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:59 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:36 am
At least with SS leaving it has lit a fire under some Yosef Club members and non Yosef Club members who are stepping up to the plate to make sure our next coach has the type of financial backing to encourage them to stay at App
There will always be more money somewhere else. A new HC every 4 to 6 years is what we can expect moving forward.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”