Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

This is an opportunity

appgrad95&97
School: Appalachian State

This is an opportunity

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 am

To really evaluate App State's football program and athletes program more generally. I think we have suffered from an overestimation of where we are (more like Bosie State than say Arkansas State). Look at how many G5 schools have won games against P5s over the past five years. Talking about the NY6 like it's a realistic goal for us now, or like we should be considered for the AAC, sets us up for disappointment and a slow loss of interest. Three weeks ago it was "unfair" we couldn't go to the NO Bowl, now it's like, MTSU is beneath us because they aren't a conference champion. In my opinion we have a lot of work to do. None of this is a critisism, but a lot of programs could pass us if our goal is to maintain what we think we are and not grow as a program.

appstatealum

Re: This is an opportunity

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:00 am

We are WAY far ahead of “schedule” in terms of a team fresh off a move from FCS to FBS. I think this rapid progression has inflated some of our expectations and perceptions. All of these goals can be achieved with a few things:
1. We maintain the culture within the program
2. Hire a great coach for our program
3. Keep building of our support through YOSEF CLUB. At least become a Century member, that is roughly one Chipotle or Qdoba meal per month
4. Continue to support the team, come to as many games as you can get to- Home and Away. These kids want to play in front of fans, it is more important than you may think.
5. Wear your gear around your city. Have your Yosef Club or generic sticker in your window. Have your App flag hanging from your porch. Build interest in your community, have kids in your neighborhood see the “A” and know we are relevant. I renamed our 8-10 yr old Flag Football team “The Mountaineers” and now all of the kids ask about App games and hear about “giving your all”. A couple of the kids have bought App hats and gear to wear to practice!

This is how you keep the momentum..... GO APP!
The Appalachian State

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 am

It took Boise 11 years from moving up to get to that famous Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma. Also - I might add - it was their 4th FBS head coach that did it Nutt, Koetter (Nutt Koetting time?) Hawkins, then Petersen after they moved up I don't think anyone thinks we are to that level yet...at least, I hope not. We are doing everything right as it stands - but we need to make the right hires, just like they did.

asucrutch23

Unread post by asucrutch23 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 am

Talking about the NY6 like it's a realistic goal (it is) does the exact opposite of create a slow loss of interest for me. The fact that all that had to happen to make the NY6 was for us to beat Georgia Southern and for UCF to lose to Memphis does nothing but generate excitement that we are truly competing on a national stage. We have won 3 straight conference championships, 3 (soon to be 4) straight bowl games, and reached the top 25. The next step is to continue to be nationally relevant and continue to compete for the NY6. Who knows, if they expand the playoff to 8 down the road and include 1 G5 rep, could we see #8 App State at #1 Alabama in Tuscaloosa on ABC on December 23rd? Call me delusional if you want, but that is not out of the realm of possibility. If you're afraid to set yourself up for disappointment, you will never move forward. "Never say never, because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion" - Michael Jordan

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 am

Agree. Look at it this way too...if we'd managed to beat PSU and then ran the table, we likely would've been ranked in a similar ballpark to UCF, even with them undefeated. And many would've argued we should be higher since we actually beat a good P5.

UCF - for all intents and purposes - was a chaotic final few weekends away from making the playoffs. If OSU or OU had lost any of their close calls (and there were quite a few), they had a shot to pip UGA for that last spot...and that's in a 4 Team setup.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 am
To really evaluate App State's football program and athletes program more generally. I think we have suffered from an overestimation of where we are (more like Bosie State than say Arkansas State). Look at how many G5 schools have won games against P5s over the past five years. Talking about the NY6 like it's a realistic goal for us now, or like we should be considered for the AAC, sets us up for disappointment and a slow loss of interest. Three weeks ago it was "unfair" we couldn't go to the NO Bowl, now it's like, MTSU is beneath us because they aren't a conference champion. In my opinion we have a lot of work to do. None of this is a critisism, but a lot of programs could pass us if our goal is to maintain what we think we are and not grow as a program.
App had Penn State beat. If App had beat Georgia Southern, they would've been second in line behind UCF for the NY6. It was a realistic goal until Thomas and Fehr left the game.

App is far more similar to Boise when they moved up than Arkansas State. Boise had to build to what they become under Peterson. App is also building a foundation at the FBS level so that when those P5 wins come, and they will come, are just the next logical step. You believe App has stayed at baseline but since the loss to Clemson in P5 games, App has played everyone close except Miami and National runner up Georgia. App had Wake Forest, Tennessee, and Penn State, the latter two who were ranked #9, beat.

You underestimate where this program is at right now.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm not being critical of the program. Go read the posts in the runup to the Miami game. Or the Sunbelt championship attence predictions. Or any of the Satt will never leave us posts prior to this week. I'm critical of and concerned with unreasonable expectations.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:23 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
I totally disagree with you on the comparison of App State's journey. In fact, we are overachieving vs anybody else that has gone from FCS to FBS. We have actually SET a NEW standard upon which others want to follow. As such, don't look at what we can't do but rather what we CAN do. We CAN and should be setting our goals high, NY6, etc. That doesn't mean that in a given year if we don't get there we failed. This year we have succeeded by winning the first SBC Championship Game and will hopefully win bowl #4. We wanted to get to NY6 but it didn't happen. We are raising the bar upon which everybody ELSE is compared. We SET the standards, WE are the GOLD standard now.

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:21 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:33 pm
I'm not being critical of the program. Go read the posts in the runup to the Miami game. Or the Sunbelt championship attence predictions. Or any of the Satt will never leave us posts prior to this week. I'm critical of and concerned with unreasonable expectations.
Why would you be concerned about unreasonable fan expectations? Fan is short for fanatic. Let people be fanatics, that’s what makes it fun.

appvette

Unread post by appvette » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:29 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
We're much more at risk of fan apathaty if they start thinking like you. As was said before, a NY6 WAS and still is a realistic goal. Tell me which G5 programs had more than 40 wins over the last 4 years. Ucf had 31 wins in that same time period.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Again, I am not criticizing the program. There are signs of apathy already.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

We've had one losing record in the last five years, three conference championships, three bowl wins and a fourth bowl on the horizon. When you look at the likes of Liberty and UMass it's no comparison. It's also not like we weren't already a powerhouse in the FCS so having winning seasons and earning championships isn't exactly a delusion of grandure, it's a standard we set for as long as I can remember.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:35 pm

I'll move on. Thank you for your feedback.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”