Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by AppSt94 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Woody has not been hired by Army. According to Monken, no one has been interviewed and won’t be until after the bowl game

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm

NattyBumppo'sRevenge wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 pm
Woody has already been hired by Army, Ivey likely gone to UL. Roof would be awful, need young blood.
Woody to army is fake news

appbanker

Unread post by appbanker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 pm

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:35 pm

And we had those on here saying how much Satt loved App and he would never leave and would always be a Mountaineer. I said it before and will say again that Satt is a Cardinal now!! I don't blame him for trying to hire away many of those he has. I am not mad over it as I expected this. If we want to keep coaches we have to be able to pay. No coach loves App more than they love a 500k pay raise. Just how it is.

To me, Coach Drink should get an A+ if he only loses Conley to Louisville because I am sure Satt wanted to get most or all of our commits to flip since he lost out on so many. To come in and keep your class together except for a couple who took P5 offers is going to be amazing. The fact he has not lost any to a G5 program should not be overlooked.

One thing to keep an eye on is how many Satt signs in this quick period. He has to go after a different caliber recruit now. He won't be competing with Campbell, UAPB, Elon, Charlotte, Wofford, Furman, Troy, GSU, ECU, Arkansas State, etc anymore. He has to compete with Florida State, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, UNC, Cincinnati, Ohio, Clemson, NC State, etc. I'm not sure he is going to tear up the recruiting scene in the ACC. He still has just 3 commits. Wonder if he signs more than 5 this week?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm
Woody has already been hired by Army, Ivey likely gone to UL. Roof would be awful, need young blood.
Have a “Drink” and get a “Woody”. Go get him coach.
http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/
Last edited by Appstate88 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:49 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 pm
Have a “Drink” and get a “Woody”. Go get him coach E.D.
http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/. Scroll down to see the article.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm
Can't blame Satt for raiding the cookie jar. Hope for heavens sake this does not leave us with a lot of missed opportunities next year with all new coaches and schemes. Lets hope Drink has the mind for talented staff and brings the best out of the team. With all the talented players it would be hard to screw up but we may not recognize much of the play calling next season on either side of the ball. Hoping for a historic season, but it will be a long off season waiting to see what we have in store. Even more unknowns than we had going into this past season but look how it turned out.
I'm certain one of the articles says the offense won't change, he's not bringing the offense from Raleigh, but we'll probably see some new things however. Defense ain't broke, so not sure he wants to meddle with that either.
BLACK SATURDAY

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 pm

Satt will not waste a scholly. He will bring in a top class next year. The bad news Satt is starting over. Coach D isn’t.

asu7

Unread post by asu7 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 pm

Omg not Roof.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Black Saturday wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:52 pm
Yosefus wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:38 pm
Can't blame Satt for raiding the cookie jar. Hope for heavens sake this does not leave us with a lot of missed opportunities next year with all new coaches and schemes. Lets hope Drink has the mind for talented staff and brings the best out of the team. With all the talented players it would be hard to screw up but we may not recognize much of the play calling next season on either side of the ball. Hoping for a historic season, but it will be a long off season waiting to see what we have in store. Even more unknowns than we had going into this past season but look how it turned out.
I'm certain one of the articles says the offense won't change, he's not bringing the offense from Raleigh, but we'll probably see some new things however. Defense ain't broke, so not sure he wants to meddle with that either.
I’m most concerned about defense. He has said he wants to install a multi front defense and get best players available, not just who fits a certain mold. While that makes sense, why mess with a top Rated defense. Also, if he doesn’t/can’t retain Ivey and jones, all we would have left from our defense is DJ smith and Gasparro, who have been here 2 and 1 years respectively.
It will be tough to carry over the success with only those 2 while trying to install a new scheme. A solid defensive coordinator is a must, especially since it seems like defense is a weak point for Drink.

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:06 pm

I would love to get Woody back too. Drink is an O guy. Having Woody back would provide some peace of mind with our D going forward.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm

appbanker wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:31 pm
Found this on FootballScoop.

http://footballscoop.com/news/scoop-sta ... es-staffs/
It’s blank?

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 pm

I’d definitely make a full court press at Ivey. As someone else said, possibly cut a position and use some of that to give him a raise. Slap on the AHC/DC title. Sad thing is Louisville could still almost double what we could pay him, but that would still be a demotion of sorts if we offer him our DC role.

Woody would also be phenomenal. As crazy as it sounds I’m not too worried about the rest. Just find young, innovative minds that will be able to recruit. DC is the huge question mark for me right now

ukappfan

Unread post by ukappfan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:02 am

I am honestly not going to be surprised if Ivey and Jones goes to UL. But with our talent, we will get the right guy to continue our dominance.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:15 am

Football Scoop is wrong a lot.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:55 am

diehardapp18 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 pm
I’d definitely make a full court press at Ivey. As someone else said, possibly cut a position and use some of that to give him a raise. Slap on the AHC/DC title. Sad thing is Louisville could still almost double what we could pay him, but that would still be a demotion of sorts if we offer him our DC role.

Woody would also be phenomenal. As crazy as it sounds I’m not too worried about the rest. Just find young, innovative minds that will be able to recruit. DC is the huge question mark for me right now
Sorry but we don't cut a coach to pay for another. No man is worth that. This can go several ways. He can take a job with UL without listening to any offer from App. He can reject an offer from App or he could reject an offer from UL to stay. Doubt that any of us will know the complete truth as to what leads to the outcome, but it is going to be what it is going to be.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:56 am

I feel like a pretty knowledgeable sports fan and probably have way too much useless information in my brain but as far as football coaches go I have to ask. Does any program need to have middle linebacker, DB, defensive line coaches? Obviously our recent situation was unique- losing several coaches and having to prepare for a bowl game. Yet we did fine. With Drink serving as the O Coordinator could we save money by having really good coaches wear two hats and pay them more? Seems reasonable to me.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 am

bigdaddyg wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:56 am
I feel like a pretty knowledgeable sports fan and probably have way too much useless information in my brain but as far as football coaches go I have to ask. Does any program need to have middle linebacker, DB, defensive line coaches? Obviously our recent situation was unique- losing several coaches and having to prepare for a bowl game. Yet we did fine. With Drink serving as the O Coordinator could we save money by having really good coaches wear two hats and pay them more? Seems reasonable to me.
We did fine because we had all those positions working with our players all year from Spring to Fall Camp and throughout the season. That's why they did so well in the bowl game despite the thin staff.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:07 am

Mark Ennis Retweeted
Patrick Walls
Patrick Walls
@Walls98
·
10h
Replying to
@MarkEnnis
Spoke with both Mark Ivey and Satterfield tonight. Great hires coming. Louisville made the right choice.
Rol

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 am

It is certainly feasible but not conducive to running a good program. Each position has a coach so that there is more hands on instruction of technique game prep. You also need coaches to wear many hats other than the position that they are responsible for. Having one guy to coach multiple positions does seem plausible but that means that you have one less coach recruiting, one less mind in the game prep meetings. Also, a great example as to why that isn't ideal is this years bowl game. With Ponce leaving as the QB coach, if he were coaching the QBs and WR groups then you would have to essentially have one guy coaching three positions with such a departure.

I do agree with you that it seems a bit much to have both a safeties and a cornerback coach or both an inside and outside linebackers coach, but the game has evolved into a very technical/specialized machine that needs more supervision and instructors. Just my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”