Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MBB: App State @ Georgetown nationally televised on FS1

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09
School: Appalachian State

Re: MBB: App State @ Georgetown nationally televised on FS1

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am
/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm
HBTApps wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:32 pm
I know the over reaction and negative comments are coming. So to you constant haters. We just hung with Georgetown until the very end. I'm looking forward to seeing what our boys can do in conference play. If we show no improvement with our peers then I will change my tune. But we have not a cupcake ooc schedule which is great for the team so long as they don't read the average thread about their games. Hopefully it will make them ready for the conference. I'm not a pessimist so I believe in my school and will never rip them publicly.

For all the consistent haters, I almost hope that Fox continues to turn this program around just for you to eat Crow as bad as I want them to because I'm a true fan.

Ripping a coach in the off-season or even at the very end of a season is one thing but during our players season especially at the beginning is just not cool.

Forever optimistic & proud of our boys while they are playing!! Go App!! Beat the Buffaloes on Thursday.
As a true fan you should not be content with seeing the same garbage routinely. We have zero inside game, live by the three (Mostly die by it), if we're down by anything over 5 points under 2 minutes all you see is iso with Shabazz. Didn't take much to improve what Fox took over, but that improvement has been very very minor, and after four years, there really is no excuse anymore. His players, his system, his team. It's time for a change.

For the record, Satterfield would have caught this same "hate" if we were trash for the past four years in football. Fox doesn't get a pass.
Agree we need to see more progress, but “minor minor progress from what he took over” is just an awful misstatement.
We are getting better players, both on and off the court. Again, I give him kudos for that, but why he is not able to win with those players is the frustrating part. At least when I watched the Capel teams the talent wasn't there, likely because "I used to play for UNC" was his only pitch since he had no coaching experience. Fox has previous success at Davidson, and has brought in some talent (Still need a better front court IMO). I just don't understand why he can't get it to all come together. It's 4 years in now, and there seems to be a lot of the same headaches from past years.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:35 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:40 am
Also - To for the people saying minor progress, his best win was Va-Tech, his 3rd game ever as a coach. We haven’t beaten a P5 opponent since! AND USF, who we lost to this year......we beat by 13 last year. Not progress!
Perspective: that was Buzz Williams' first season at VT and he was implementing a new system, new players, new everything. We were definitely fortunate to come home with a win. USF is light years better than they were last year and we played a great game at home that day last season. Both of those programs have high major college coaches who have coached in the ACC and Big East. Not an excuse, just perspective.

Also, I will say that despite our not having a winning season since Fox took over, his kids always play hard for him until the final horn. That was not the case with our previous regime. One thing I've noticed that is a little surprising from a Davidson guy is that we have far more no pass and one pass possessions than I would expect, that often end up as empty possessions. I suppose that's just our version of tailoring the offense to our personnel, though.
Last edited by app97 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:39 pm

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26 pm
AppOrange wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:16 am
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm
HBTApps wrote:
I know the over reaction and negative comments are coming. So to you constant haters. We just hung with Georgetown until the very end. I'm looking forward to seeing what our boys can do in conference play. If we show no improvement with our peers then I will change my tune. But we have not a cupcake ooc schedule which is great for the team so long as they don't read the average thread about their games. Hopefully it will make them ready for the conference. I'm not a pessimist so I believe in my school and will never rip them publicly.

For all the consistent haters, I almost hope that Fox continues to turn this program around just for you to eat Crow as bad as I want them to because I'm a true fan.

Ripping a coach in the off-season or even at the very end of a season is one thing but during our players season especially at the beginning is just not cool.

Forever optimistic & proud of our boys while they are playing!! Go App!! Beat the Buffaloes on Thursday.
As a true fan you should not be content with seeing the same garbage routinely. We have zero inside game, live by the three (Mostly die by it), if we're down by anything over 5 points under 2 minutes all you see is iso with Shabazz. Didn't take much to improve what Fox took over, but that improvement has been very very minor, and after four years, there really is no excuse anymore. His players, his system, his team. It's time for a change.

For the record, Satterfield would have caught this same "hate" if we were trash for the past four years in football. Fox doesn't get a pass.
Agree we need to see more progress, but “minor minor progress from what he took over” is just an awful misstatement.
We are getting better players, both on and off the court. Again, I give him kudos for that, but why he is not able to win with those players is the frustrating part. At least when I watched the Capel teams the talent wasn't there, likely because "I used to play for UNC" was his only pitch since he had no coaching experience. Fox has previous success at Davidson, and has brought in some talent (Still need a better front court IMO). I just don't understand why he can't get it to all come together. It's 4 years in now, and there seems to be a lot of the same headaches from past years.
I felt like Capel and staff recruited talented players, but they often appeared lazy and unmotivated on the court. Talent was there, but they underacheived. He brought in players that transferred from UConn (Trice), Gonzaga (Vilarino), and Xavier (Canty), just to name a few. Frank Eaves rode the bench for him, but was the best player for Fox in year one (or the best under Fox's system)

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm

CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Also - To for the people saying minor progress, his best win was Va-Tech, his 3rd game ever as a coach. We haven’t beaten a P5 opponent since! AND USF, who we lost to this year......we beat by 13 last year. Not progress!
Not the same team at all. USF coach had a fire sale after last season and managed to unload his roster of 10 players by one method or another. :roll: Then he recruits nine new players and finally gets the 20 year-old Yetna eligible. Voila! Instant NCAA tourney team. Hide and watch. The Apps got manhandled by the *new* USF!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:30 am

HBTApps wrote:

What’s the difference between being optimistic and sounds idiotic. We have beaten two low level meac schools. What planet of everyone gets a trophy are you living on? No one is expecting us to be amazing but my God man, we are no better than we were last year. It’s not how closely we lose, it’s whether we look like we are getting more fundamentally sound as a team and the Answer is an emphatic NO! We still look like the same distorganized, undisciplined mess we’ve been the last couple years. The truth is a hard cold reality.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 am

app97 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:35 pm
CharlotteApp05 wrote:
Perspective: that was Buzz Williams' first season at VT and he was implementing a new system, new players, new everything. We were definitely fortunate to come home with a win. USF is light years better than they were last year and we played a great game at home that day last season. Both of those programs have high major college coaches who have coached in the ACC and Big East. Not an excuse, just perspective.

Also, I will say that despite our not having a winning season since Fox took over, his kids always play hard for him until the final horn. That was not the case with our previous regime. One thing I've noticed that is a little surprising from a Davidson guy is that we have far more no pass and one pass possessions than I would expect, that often end up as empty possessions. I suppose that's just our version of tailoring the offense to our personnel, though.
We are 16th in the country in scoring.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am

Thank you Mars Hill .

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am

I just want to see more creativity at the end of the half and game. That’s where we fail as a team. We knew who was going to get the ball. Georgetown did, too. As did every team we’ve faced for the past two years. If we address this, we will be competitive in the league. If not...
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

App91

Unread post by App91 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 am

app97 wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:

Playing hard is table stakes, it’s the card of entry. Not playing hard gets a nice seat at the end of the bench. Basic. Gotta make good decisions
Play smart and make the right plays at the right time. Hell the guys at the Y play hard!

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:35 am

AppinVA wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am
I just want to see more creativity at the end of the half and game. That’s where we fail as a team. We knew who was going to get the ball. Georgetown did, too. As did every team we’ve faced for the past two years. If we address this, we will be competitive in the league. If not...
This is probably my biggest beef with the team under Fox. I swear our record in close games has to be bad, and I really think it can be attributed to the team always looking completely clueless late in close games. I've never really played basketball, so I'm not going to begin to act like some expert on it. But I was watching that game the other night and our offense was just absolutely awful down the stretch. It was contested jumpers usually by Shabazz every trip down. Don't even think he got close to making any of them. I know down the stretch late in games you want the ball in the hands of your best players, but man at least try setting some screens and moving the defense around a little bit. It was just dribbling the shot clock down and chucking a deep shot, way too easy to defend.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:13 pm

App91 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:20 am
app97 wrote:
CharlotteApp05 wrote:

Playing hard is table stakes, it’s the card of entry. Not playing hard gets a nice seat at the end of the bench. Basic. Gotta make good decisions
Play smart and make the right plays at the right time. Hell the guys at the Y play hard!
Agree with all, but the stakes matter more or less, depending on who’s in charge. The body language says it all. It’s much different under our current regime. I would like to see our players have a little more fun at times, though. They look almost too serious sometimes. The guys at the Y play hard because they have pinned up aggression and feel like they have something to prove that wasn’t proven when they were younger, from what I’ve observed.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:46 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:35 am
AppinVA wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am
This is probably my biggest beef with the team under Fox. I swear our record in close games has to be bad, and I really think it can be attributed to the team always looking completely clueless late in close games. I've never really played basketball, so I'm not going to begin to act like some expert on it. But I was watching that game the other night and our offense was just absolutely awful down the stretch. It was contested jumpers usually by Shabazz every trip down. Don't even think he got close to making any of them. I know down the stretch late in games you want the ball in the hands of your best players, but man at least try setting some screens and moving the defense around a little bit. It was just dribbling the shot clock down and chucking a deep shot, way too easy to defend.
No improvement there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”