Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Superlatives for Appalachian State's 2018 football season

87ASUgrad
School: Appalachian State

Superlatives for Appalachian State's 2018 football season

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:16 pm

I am going to miss these Outstanding App State Football articles from Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal. This one is spot on for the 2018 season superlatives. Thanks Ethan! - "Superlatives for Appalachian State's 2018 football season."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/s ... 9dc87.html
Give Em Hell!!

AppStFan1

Re: Superlatives for Appalachian State's 2018 football season

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 pm

MVP should be Thomas. With him we were the best team in the SBC by far but when he goes down we lose to GSU. His dual threat ability carried us. The QB position is what had been holding us back from knocking on the door previously and now we have an elite G5 QB who could probably start at over half of the SEC/ACC programs. He is the best QB we have had since Edwards and it is not even close.

I'm with him on the rest except for most improved. Thomas was a breakout player but those who saw him in practice knew he was going to be a good one. I'm just not sure who to put here. Maybe Greer?

I'm with him on the rest of these 100%. I personally would add Stout to those who define the program.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 pm

I also totally agree with Ethan's selection on the team for "Mr. Invaluable" = MyQuon Stout #92!! That will be our toughest hole to fill next year in my opinion. Great team leader and good article link below. I hope we get to see MyQuon Stout in the NFL next year!

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... e5ad5.html
Give Em Hell!!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:32 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 pm
I also totally agree with Ethan's selection on the team for "Mr. Invaluable" = MyQuon Stout #92!! That will be our toughest hole to fill next year in my opinion. Great team leader and good article link below. I hope we get to see MyQuon Stout in the NFL next year!

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... e5ad5.html
People that are shouting that App defense cannot take a step back next season need to read this post daily. If there are growing pains, they may not all be related to staff changes. Stout is one player that will be difficult to replace, and not just because of his on-field play.
Give 'em hell!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 pm
MVP should be Thomas. With him we were the best team in the SBC by far but when he goes down we lose to GSU. His dual threat ability carried us. The QB position is what had been holding us back from knocking on the door previously and now we have an elite G5 QB who could probably start at over half of the SEC/ACC programs. He is the best QB we have had since Edwards and it is not even close.

I'm with him on the rest except for most improved. Thomas was a breakout player but those who saw him in practice knew he was going to be a good one. I'm just not sure who to put here. Maybe Greer?

I'm with him on the rest of these 100%. I personally would add Stout to those who define the program.
One thing I noticed this season is that teams with back-up QB's thrust into action during the game generally didn't fare too well. I can't think of specific examples but each time it happened there was a lot of drop off on the day of. Jordan Fehr is an underappreciated player from a position that most have come to expect greatness from on App State's football team.

Prior to his exit from the game in Statesboro, their offense did nothing. That's not to say it would've continued, but Jackson couldn't fill Fehr's role in that game for 45 minutes.

Afreeman

Unread post by Afreeman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:58 pm

87ASUgrad wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:16 pm
I am going to miss these Outstanding App State Football articles from Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal. This one is spot on for the 2018 season superlatives. Thanks Ethan! - "Superlatives for Appalachian State's 2018 football season."

Do you mean miss Ethan's articles in the off season, or is he leaving to do something else?

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:01 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:45 pm

One thing I noticed this season is that teams with back-up QB's thrust into action during the game generally didn't fare too well. I can't think of specific examples but each time it happened there was a lot of drop off on the day of. Jordan Fehr is an underappreciated player from a position that most have come to expect greatness from on App State's football team.

Prior to his exit from the game in Statesboro, their offense did nothing. That's not to say it would've continued, but Jackson couldn't fill Fehr's role in that game for 45 minutes.
Oklahoma loses a Heisman winner and replaces him with one the next year. UCF's All-American QB goes down and they beat Memphis by more than they did prior with the All-American. If we are a legit top 25 program we have to have the next man up. It is like with losing Duck. He is making a mistake but if we are a top 25 program then we have a good one to replace him.

Look at Clemson. Their DL is so good that their 2nd string could come to any SBC team and not only start across the board but they would be the 1st team All-SBC DL.

Losing Fehr was a big loss as well. He is a stud and we just don't have a P5 league next to our name where we can likely sign 2 Fehrs every year. We may not get one like him every year even. As long as we are a G5 we will have trouble with that depth compared to the top 20 teams in the country. Our first string is really good but you remove 3 of our key players and there could be a drop off. When the top 20 teams lose a starter they typically have a 4-star waiting to replace him who is probably going to be their All-Conf player the next year. We have it like this at a few spots like RB, TE, S ,and CB right now but we don't have it at LB, DL, QB, or OL quite yet.

87ASUgrad

Unread post by 87ASUgrad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:49 pm

Afreeman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:58 pm
87ASUgrad wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Do you mean miss Ethan's articles in the off season, or is he leaving to do something else?
In the off season. Sorry, I didn't mean he was leaving or anything and I hope he continues to cover App State for years to come. I hope he continues to cover the other sports at App too. We try and make it to some basketball and baseball games each year, and we do support them also, but we are mostly football fans and I am dreading the next 8 months without college football I guess.
Give Em Hell!!

Afreeman

Unread post by Afreeman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:35 pm

Good I was worried. I have loved his work this year.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 am

Yep, He's done a great job!
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”