Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Troy’s Neal Brown to WVU

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
ComebackShack
School: Appalachian State

Troy’s Neal Brown to WVU

Unread post by ComebackShack » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:32 pm

T-Dog

Re: Troy’s Neal Brown to WVU

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 pm

Troy's getting a 300K buyout, less than the 425K App got for Satterfield.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 pm
Seems low? As for the move, Troy has been so nervous and this is their worst nightmare. They have a team with high expectations in 2019 like we do. Both Troy and App State had they returned their coaches were expected to win 11+ games and win the SBC for sure. I still think we can after seeing our hire but now they are uncertain. Troy job has to be one that a lot of P5 coordinators would want. They have a very good personnel situation.

I do wonder if they now lose 1-2 players to the NFL early? They have a couple juniors who could declare after seeing Duck go.

I know this is a change of subject but wonder if seeing teammates go pro and not get drafted or not make it might deter anyone who sees their friends make a huge mistake from making one of their one? Could happen at App and Troy if they lose one because Troy has some very good juniors this year and some rising juniors who had very good years also.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:00 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Seems low? As for the move, Troy has been so nervous and this is their worst nightmare. They have a team with high expectations in 2019 like we do. Both Troy and App State had they returned their coaches were expected to win 11+ games and win the SBC for sure. I still think we can after seeing our hire but now they are uncertain. Troy job has to be one that a lot of P5 coordinators would want. They have a very good personnel situation.

I do wonder if they now lose 1-2 players to the NFL early? They have a couple juniors who could declare after seeing Duck go.

I know this is a change of subject but wonder if seeing teammates go pro and not get drafted or not make it might deter anyone who sees their friends make a huge mistake from making one of their one? Could happen at App and Troy if they lose one because Troy has some very good juniors this year and some rising juniors who had very good years also.
Not 100% sure, but I think brown was almost out from his contract. Typically the closer to the end of the contract, the less the buyout. That’s why Satterfields 425k buyout was disappointing because we had just restructured his contract months earlier and we knew he was in demand.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:13 pm

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for them...I'm just glad that our head coaching search is behind us and we have Drink at the helm, which I know is probably the understatement of the year
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm

This does make me feel better about our season next year now that Troy will be in a similar boat to us. Two of the SBC top programs going though a "rebuilding year" while also retaining some skilled players.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:46 pm

And we and Troy will watch the prognosticators again continue to get aroused by a mediocre arkansas state team
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:50 pm

I would like to ask about this in another way - As those who have been on here for decades know, I am a born and bred West BY GOD Virginian and became a hard-core APP fan when our daughter was accepted in the Fall of '98 and began as a freshman in the Fall of '99. Therefore my 2 favorite college football teams are both MOUNTAINEERS -
For those who have followed Coach Brown and Troy what is your take on him as a coach and how do you think he will do at WVU? (I was hoping for Fickell at Cincy) - Thanks ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm

If you could choose to coach at WVU or Louisville for the same $. What's the better deal?
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:00 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:00 pm
Not 100% sure, but I think brown was almost out from his contract. Typically the closer to the end of the contract, the less the buyout. That’s why Satterfields 425k buyout was disappointing because we had just restructured his contract months earlier and we knew he was in demand.
From what I remember - he had around 3-4 years on his contract, and his buyout was in the neighborhood of 2-2.5 Million. I was pretty sure it was one of the reasons he wasn't hired yet. Of course, with WVU getting Holgo buyout money + P5 revenue, it would've been easy for them to pay.

Have to wonder how they pulled off only $300k if that's all they get.

appgrad

Unread post by appgrad » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:03 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm
If you could choose to coach at WVU or Louisville for the same $. What's the better deal?
Louisville - I think it's easier to recruit to as an urban school. Definitely advantages to WVU - better fans, more tradition, better mascot name, etc. but you're also in a league competing with OU, Texas, and the nouveau riche Okie State and TCU.

Louisville really only has FSU and Clemson to worry about.

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Anyone know off the top of what Troy loses on both sides of the ball next year? Just heard they should win the east before this happened, so didn't know if they were losing much.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
My money is on WVU, with the ACC you'll always have to compete (and more than likely lose) against Clemson, FSU, NCSU. Syracuse had a good season and look to be picking up 2019 where they left off in 2018, BC has had a pretty stout defense in recent years. Duke and Wake are ok and UNC really has nowhere to go but up.

With Big 12 you have Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State as the big dogs, but the other teams, to me at least, seem beatable any given Saturday.

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 pm

appgrad wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:03 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Louisville - I think it's easier to recruit to as an urban school. Definitely advantages to WVU - better fans, more tradition, better mascot name, etc. but you're also in a league competing with OU, Texas, and the nouveau riche Okie State and TCU.

It's going to be ACC - Another Clemson Championship - for a while, based on how far any ACC teams have to play catch up, along with the SEC powers competing for the marquise players that are available.

Petrino ran Louisville into the ground they are probably 3-4 years away from a winning season in my opinion, but has potential to return earlier prominence. WVUs cupboard isn't bare and will have a winning season next year, but probably is more difficult to recruit to than Louisville.
Last edited by Black Saturday on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLACK SATURDAY

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm

The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Satt was not in high demand. Had Brohm taken the job he would still be at App. There was interest but he was plan B or C for several people. We know for a fact he was plan B for UL.

He was going to be #1 for many if we had gone 12-0 in 2019 for sure. I could have seen him with 2-3 P5 offers as the #1 candidate then.

As for buyout, I'm not sure why schools lower it. When JMU redid Mike Houston's deal they should have set a high buyout or not extended. I don't get why ADs extend deals and lower buyout. When you know they are looking to go all you did was just get less money when the guy goes. If anything, you should raise the buyout so you get more when they go or just leave the deal the same and not extend until 1-2 years left.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:16 pm

biggie wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm
Anyone know off the top of what Troy loses on both sides of the ball next year? Just heard they should win the east before this happened, so didn't know if they were losing much.
Most of their team will be back. They are one of maybe 4 teams who I would think is considered a NY6 candidate by all the magazines. Troy, Utah State, UCF, and App are likely going to be the top ones I would think, based on what they all have returning.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:17 pm

appgrad wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

Clemson will be there a while. FSU is down now but will get better. They also have Syracuse and BC who have come on as contenders. That division is tough. Just one big time power but 3 to 4 other programs in a good situation now and will be tough. 4 years ago I would have said 100% just Clemson but there is competition for #2 slot and it is fierce right now.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:23 pm

GregPercussion wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm
This does make me feel better about our season next year now that Troy will be in a similar boat to us. Two of the SBC top programs going though a "rebuilding year" while also retaining some skilled players.
The Gnats are positively giddy. They are so sure that they are the new top dog next year that they are taking their sisters out for a nice steak dinner.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm

appgrad wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

And honestly Clemson isn’t even that good

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:

Satt was not in high demand. Had Brohm taken the job he would still be at App. There was interest but he was plan B or C for several people. We know for a fact he was plan B for UL.

He was going to be #1 for many if we had gone 12-0 in 2019 for sure. I could have seen him with 2-3 P5 offers as the #1 candidate then.

As for buyout, I'm not sure why schools lower it. When JMU redid Mike Houston's deal they should have set a high buyout or not extended. I don't get why ADs extend deals and lower buyout. When you know they are looking to go all you did was just get less money when the guy goes. If anything, you should raise the buyout so you get more when they go or just leave the deal the same and not extend until 1-2 years left.
I disagree. He was in the topic of conversation with almost every P5 opening in the South. He may not have been anyone's first choice, but I would guess he was/would have been top 3 on almost every opening. I would say he would have been a WV mountaineer before Brown if he was still available. DG even said in his press conference after Satterfield left that he had been preparing for this for a couple years. He may not have been in "high" demand as you said, but when his name comes up in virtually every opening, whether a #1 choice or #2, I would consider that to be "in demand" as I stated in my post.
We all knew this time was coming, thats why I (along with many others on this board) said Satts buyout should have been more when his contract was restructured this summer.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”