Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Troy’s Neal Brown to WVU

Discussion about anything related to the Sun Belt Conference
DontPlayWithYosef
School: Appalachian State

Re: Troy’s Neal Brown to WVU

Unread post by DontPlayWithYosef » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Thankful and proud of our recent successes and pumped about the future for App State football.

Impressed by Neal Brown and his public thanks & love for a program he spent a few years building.

Have to get over our former coach, a fellow alum who spent close to half his life in Boone, just leaving town rich and quiet.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:05 am

My impression of Neal Brown as a person has taken a 180. This guy seems to sincerely appreciate the opportunities and friendships that he had at Troy. It seems that he not only talks the talk but walks the walk.

I’m now going to be a mild WVU fan. It sure would be fun to have a home and home set up with those mountaineers in the coal hills.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:15 am

I have to say that my opinion of Brown fell after seeing his little temper tantrums at their last game in Boone. His emotions got the best of him and he lost focus during that run of reversed (and rightly so) calls.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:59 pm
If you could choose to coach at WVU or Louisville for the same $. What's the better deal?
I guess the question would be the realistic goal of the new coach - To have a legitimate shot at the Final 4 (or 8 or whatever it might go to) it would be Louisville. I am sure Louisville has much deeper pockets as well. WVU has a terrific fan base (see attachment below) and you would be "the face" of the entire state. The love and caring they would show a successful coach who sincerely exhibited he really cared would be unparalleled. That was my problem with Holgerson (among other things) as he was always looking to leave. The major problem with WVU in the Big 12 is that the Big 12 DOESN'T WANT THEM TO WIN. I have watched just about every game since they joined and I can say without a doubt that they have NEVER gotten a questionable call to go in their favor. Their game with Oklahoma late this year is the perfect example. The Big 12 had to have the Sooners win or they would be shut out of the Playoffs - Bad calls really turned the tide in OU's favor (not taking away anything from OU because they were a very good team - offensively). The travel that WV makes every year is also a big drawback --- I do really hope Brown does a great job in Morgantown however my latest memory of him was his constant belly-aching during our game in Boone - He will have many more opportunities to do just that in the Big 12.

https://thebiglead.com/2012/10/02/stadi ... lor-video/
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 pm

The Rock wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:35 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm
The Rock wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:00 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm
T-Dog wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 pm
Troy's getting a 300K buyout, less than the 425K App got for Satterfield.
Seems low? As for the move, Troy has been so nervous and this is their worst nightmare. They have a team with high expectations in 2019 like we do. Both Troy and App State had they returned their coaches were expected to win 11+ games and win the SBC for sure. I still think we can after seeing our hire but now they are uncertain. Troy job has to be one that a lot of P5 coordinators would want. They have a very good personnel situation.

I do wonder if they now lose 1-2 players to the NFL early? They have a couple juniors who could declare after seeing Duck go.

I know this is a change of subject but wonder if seeing teammates go pro and not get drafted or not make it might deter anyone who sees their friends make a huge mistake from making one of their one? Could happen at App and Troy if they lose one because Troy has some very good juniors this year and some rising juniors who had very good years also.
Not 100% sure, but I think brown was almost out from his contract. Typically the closer to the end of the contract, the less the buyout. That’s why Satterfields 425k buyout was disappointing because we had just restructured his contract months earlier and we knew he was in demand.
Satt was not in high demand. Had Brohm taken the job he would still be at App. There was interest but he was plan B or C for several people. We know for a fact he was plan B for UL.

He was going to be #1 for many if we had gone 12-0 in 2019 for sure. I could have seen him with 2-3 P5 offers as the #1 candidate then.

As for buyout, I'm not sure why schools lower it. When JMU redid Mike Houston's deal they should have set a high buyout or not extended. I don't get why ADs extend deals and lower buyout. When you know they are looking to go all you did was just get less money when the guy goes. If anything, you should raise the buyout so you get more when they go or just leave the deal the same and not extend until 1-2 years left.
I disagree. He was in the topic of conversation with almost every P5 opening in the South. He may not have been anyone's first choice, but I would guess he was/would have been top 3 on almost every opening. I would say he would have been a WV mountaineer before Brown if he was still available. DG even said in his press conference after Satterfield left that he had been preparing for this for a couple years. He may not have been in "high" demand as you said, but when his name comes up in virtually every opening, whether a #1 choice or #2, I would consider that to be "in demand" as I stated in my post.
We all knew this time was coming, thats why I (along with many others on this board) said Satts buyout should have been more when his contract was restructured this summer.
He was mentioned by a couple media writers but always in a list of 10 or so and been on long lists for 2 years but still I take serious interest when ADs bring you in for an interview and he had none until Louisville. Name being brought up by media does not always mean real interest. They often speculate with no real inside source.

I never felt he was going anywhere until after 2019 and he was on that path until Brohm pulled a shocker. I still think a program must be a mess when you offer big time money (more than Satt is getting) to one of your alumni and he turns it down. Maybe I'm wrong but I see Louisville as a bottom level ACC team and I thought after 2019 Scott was going to have his choice of better openings.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:50 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:34 pm
Sorry. I missed that one.Classy.
Here’s the link if anyone else missed it.

Neal Brown Farewell at the Troy - App State BB game yesterday..

GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppFan11

Unread post by AppFan11 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:43 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:50 pm
I would like to ask about this in another way - As those who have been on here for decades know, I am a born and bred West BY GOD Virginian and became a hard-core APP fan when our daughter was accepted in the Fall of '98 and began as a freshman in the Fall of '99. Therefore my 2 favorite college football teams are both MOUNTAINEERS -
For those who have followed Coach Brown and Troy what is your take on him as a coach and how do you think he will do at WVU? (I was hoping for Fickell at Cincy) - Thanks ---
WVU where have you been? I missed your commentary. I think WVU got the best available HC. Neal really is a hell of a coach. I’m sure you have seen his back ground.... P5 coordinator st Kentucky, blah blah blah. I think he is a good fit. He runs triple option concepts with a down hill running attack. His teams will score plenty of points (which he’ll need in the Big12). The real thing he’ll bring that Dana did not is a strong defense. His teams were very good at stopping the run. I’d say give him a couple years to get his guys and you guys will raise havoc and maybe because of the D actually beat OU.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:16 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:32 am
Appstate88 wrote:
If you could choose to coach at WVU or Louisville for the same $. What's the better deal?
I guess the question would be the realistic goal of the new coach - To have a legitimate shot at the Final 4 (or 8 or whatever it might go to) it would be Louisville. I am sure Louisville has much deeper pockets as well. WVU has a terrific fan base (see attachment below) and you would be "the face" of the entire state. The love and caring they would show a successful coach who sincerely exhibited he really cared would be unparalleled. That was my problem with Holgerson (among other things) as he was always looking to leave. The major problem with WVU in the Big 12 is that the Big 12 DOESN'T WANT THEM TO WIN. I have watched just about every game since they joined and I can say without a doubt that they have NEVER gotten a questionable call to go in their favor. Their game with Oklahoma late this year is the perfect example. The Big 12 had to have the Sooners win or they would be shut out of the Playoffs - Bad calls really turned the tide in OU's favor (not taking away anything from OU because they were a very good team - offensively). The travel that WV makes every year is also a big drawback --- I do really hope Brown does a great job in Morgantown however my latest memory of him was his constant belly-aching during our game in Boone - He will have many more opportunities to do just that in the Big 12.

I agree in that it would be easier to get to the playoff at Louisville but I think Brown could win the Big 12 before Satt wins the ACC. I rather go through Oklahoma and Texas than have Clemson, Florida State, Boston College, Syracuse, NC State, Miami, etc on the schedule. In the Big 12 they really only have 2 big time roadblocks but Louisville has way more in the ACC.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:41 pm

Seems low? As for the move, Troy has been so nervous and this is their worst nightmare. They have a team with high expectations in 2019 like we do. Both Troy and App State had they returned their coaches were expected to win 11+ games and win the SBC for sure. I still think we can after seeing our hire but now they are uncertain. Troy job has to be one that a lot of P5 coordinators would want. They have a very good personnel situation.

I do wonder if they now lose 1-2 players to the NFL early? They have a couple juniors who could declare after seeing Duck go.

I know this is a change of subject but wonder if seeing teammates go pro and not get drafted or not make it might deter anyone who sees their friends make a huge mistake from making one of their one? Could happen at App and Troy if they lose one because Troy has some very good juniors this year and some rising juniors who had very good years also.
Not 100% sure, but I think brown was almost out from his contract. Typically the closer to the end of the contract, the less the buyout. That’s why Satterfields 425k buyout was disappointing because we had just restructured his contract months earlier and we knew he was in demand.
Satt was not in high demand. Had Brohm taken the job he would still be at App. There was interest but he was plan B or C for several people. We know for a fact he was plan B for UL.

He was going to be #1 for many if we had gone 12-0 in 2019 for sure. I could have seen him with 2-3 P5 offers as the #1 candidate then.

As for buyout, I'm not sure why schools lower it. When JMU redid Mike Houston's deal they should have set a high buyout or not extended. I don't get why ADs extend deals and lower buyout. When you know they are looking to go all you did was just get less money when the guy goes. If anything, you should raise the buyout so you get more when they go or just leave the deal the same and not extend until 1-2 years left.
I disagree. He was in the topic of conversation with almost every P5 opening in the South. He may not have been anyone's first choice, but I would guess he was/would have been top 3 on almost every opening. I would say he would have been a WV mountaineer before Brown if he was still available. DG even said in his press conference after Satterfield left that he had been preparing for this for a couple years. He may not have been in "high" demand as you said, but when his name comes up in virtually every opening, whether a #1 choice or #2, I would consider that to be "in demand" as I stated in my post.
We all knew this time was coming, thats why I (along with many others on this board) said Satts buyout should have been more when his contract was restructured this summer.
He was mentioned by a couple media writers but always in a list of 10 or so and been on long lists for 2 years but still I take serious interest when ADs bring you in for an interview and he had none until Louisville. Name being brought up by media does not always mean real interest. They often speculate with no real inside source.

I never felt he was going anywhere until after 2019 and he was on that path until Brohm pulled a shocker. I still think a program must be a mess when you offer big time money (more than Satt is getting) to one of your alumni and he turns it down. Maybe I'm wrong but I see Louisville as a bottom level ACC team and I thought after 2019 Scott was going to have his choice of better openings.
I agree with this, FSU won’t be down for long, Clemson, decent Syracuse and NCSU teams, a resurgent BC and those nats in Winston, Satt has a tough road year in and year out in that side of the ACC at a b-ball school. Unlike most of you, I will be pulling against Satt. Born in Syracuse, and a huge orange fan for years, my love and passion is now with App, but I still follow and root when possible, too many childhood and family memories. I wish he would have gone somewhere else, for his sake and mine.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:23 pm

AppOrange wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:25 pm
The Rock wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

I agree with this, FSU won’t be down for long, Clemson, decent Syracuse and NCSU teams, a resurgent BC and those nats in Winston, Satt has a tough road year in and year out in that side of the ACC at a b-ball school. Unlike most of you, I will be pulling against Satt. Born in Syracuse, and a huge orange fan for years, my love and passion is now with App, but I still follow and root when possible, too many childhood and family memories. I wish he would have gone somewhere else, for his sake and mine.
I am not pulling against Satt, as stated previously, but whether he wins or loses won't effect me and I hope if he goes after a player we are that we get them. I don't want him winning any battles over us and if somehow him losing helps us then I'm 100% going to pull against him.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:16 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

I agree in that it would be easier to get to the playoff at Louisville but I think Brown could win the Big 12 before Satt wins the ACC. I rather go through Oklahoma and Texas than have Clemson, Florida State, Boston College, Syracuse, NC State, Miami, etc on the schedule. In the Big 12 they really only have 2 big time roadblocks but Louisville has way more in the ACC.
Don't disagree with you, but I think you might be underselling the rest of the Big 12 - all the away games have been tough (Kansas going forward - who knows) - going to OK State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas St, Iowa State, there are no easy wins and WV has lost at all those places
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 am

Scott Satterfield jumped way too soon and I'd bet he already regrets it. He'd better invest that money well 'cause if he isn't making waves in two years, that Churchill Downs 'ol boys' club will send him packing in a heartbeat. Not sayin' it will be, but his next job could be back in G5.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:26 am

App91 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:49 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:20 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:54 pm
Sounds like he handled his departure a little better than Sat did.
Satt was in such a hurry to leave, he probably forgot to pack his underwear.
Hell No, he took everything that wasn't nailed down. I'd bet there was not a coffee pot left in the football office.
The cabin has done a 180 on SS. Where is the large contingent that said he was a lifer. lmao
BLACK SATURDAY

Black Saturday

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 am

asu66 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 am
Scott Satterfield jumped way too soon and I'd bet he already regrets it. He'd better invest that money well 'cause if he isn't making waves in two years, that Churchill Downs 'ol boys' club will send him packing in a heartbeat. Not sayin' it will be, but his next job could be back in G5.
How many times did he multiply his annual salary that he was just getting by with in Boone? 5X? If he is great as this board "thought" he was...he'll land on his feet somewhere should it not work out being made a Kentucky Colonel for his success at Louisville. Most of those guys do, like any CEO.

He is in the process of rebuilding from Petrino running the program into the ground, he' should be there a minimum of 3 years - that's 10 million Yankee dollars, he'll have made, real money to any of us in The Cabin.
BLACK SATURDAY

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:11 am

Black Saturday wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:32 am
asu66 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:10 am
How many times did he multiply his annual salary that he was just getting by with in Boone? 5X? If he is great as this board "thought" he was...he'll land on his feet somewhere should it not work out being made a Kentucky Colonel for his success at Louisville. Most of those guys do, like any CEO.

He is in the process of rebuilding from Petrino running the program into the ground, he' should be there a minimum of 3 years - that's 10 million Yankee dollars, he'll have made, real money to any of us in The Cabin.

His contract was guaranteed money. Even if he sucks and does get the ax after 3 years, he is getting all $20million of his contract.
He could never win a game at Louisville and be set for life.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:23 am

TheMoody1 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:56 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:20 pm
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:54 pm
Sounds like he handled his departure a little better than Sat did.
Satt was in such a hurry to leave, he probably forgot to pack his underwear.
He definitely didn't let the door hit him in the a**.
In reality, the timing is a little bit different. Satt had early signing day coming up quick and had to evaluate/save those who had committed. Our team also had to transition during bowl week preparation and Satt hanging around would have been a distraction.

Neal Brown followed up on the Diaz fake option/keeper and signed with WVU during a dead period after their bowl and after their season was over.

Plus, if Satt had done this, he would have been speaking to an empty building in Boone. :shock:

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:24 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:24 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:16 pm
WVAPPeer wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:

Don't disagree with you, but I think you might be underselling the rest of the Big 12 - all the away games have been tough (Kansas going forward - who knows) - going to OK State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas St, Iowa State, there are no easy wins and WV has lost at all those places
Those aren't easy but none of them are having to compete with Clemson or SEC schools in recruiting like you would have to in the ACC. ACC has more respect but look at the rest of Big 12 this year and none of them outside of Oklahoma or Texas. The league is solid but I believe it is easier to win because there are so many good players in midwest and southwest who fall under the radar. A lot harder to find players in the southeast and east coast that can win a P5 league because every big P5 concentrates in the area.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Sun Belt Discussion”