Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

What the G5 should work towards. Guaranteed way to increase strength of schedule.

spacemonkey
School: Appalachian State

What the G5 should work towards. Guaranteed way to increase strength of schedule.

Unread post by spacemonkey » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:55 pm

The CFP is a joke. The country has no idea what they are missing. 16 team playoff is what would be great. That being said.

The G5 conferences should push for the Guaranteed NY6 game to be changed to a Guaranteed game against the Highest rated team not in a Championship game to play the same weekend as the Conference Championship game.

Why would this be good for the G5? We are locked out. This year it would have been UCF vs Notre Dame. (I think)

It would also then free up the G5's to have their own 8 team Playoff instead of bowls or maybe a NIT tournament sponsored my NIKE.

If UCF would have beaten Notre Dame, they may have been invited.

I believe the G5 have a little power right now and should be pushing hard to make a path. UCF vs Notre Dame for a possible spot would have been more interesting than UCF vs. LSU with the old "we were not motivated to play".

Rick83

Re: What the G5 should work towards. Guaranteed way to increase strength of schedule.

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 pm

There are some in the sports world that think the committee is close to moving to an 8 team playoff as the next step. I'm guessing it wouldn't happen for 2019 but possible for 2020. Of course there's still going to be an issue of whether or not a G5 would make the 8 team field. Hopefully they'd take the same approach as the NY6 bowl scenario at least.

MountaineerMafia

Re: What the G5 should work towards. Guaranteed way to increase strength of schedule.

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:49 pm

I disagree that the CFP is a joke. 16 teams will never happen. Not that many teams could actually win it. I think 4 is a good number but it typically leaves out 1 P5 conference every year. If you add in a 5th team then you have to add in a 6th. So here's my idea;

4 team G5 playoff with the champ getting into a 6 team CFP. Teams ranked 1 & 2 get a bye in the first round. Set up like the wildcard weekend in NFL.

In that scenario the P5's keep their conference championship games and each winner gets one of the 5 spots. The G5's have to eliminate conference championship games and start their 4 team playoff during that weekend. Also, they would have to have the G5 championship game the same weekend as Army/Navy. This way we see the G5 matchups we want while also getting our G5 rep into the CFP. Eliminating conference championship games for G5's would suck but I just don't see them being able to keep them around. Too many games if the G5's ever want to make a realistic run at a championship.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 pm

So you are saying the top-ranked G5 team wouldn’t even have to play its own conference championship game? Not sure I see the appeal there.

I also do not want to see either a 16-team playoff or a G5 playoff.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm

I do not want to see 16. It's true the first two left out in any size playoff will complain but would a 3 loss #17 or 18 have a real shot to beat a #1 or 2 team? Probably not.

I say 8. 5 P5 CCG winners (emphasize winning your own conference), 2 P5 wild cards, and 1 guaranteed G5 rep.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:26 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm
I do not want to see 16. It's true the first two left out in any size playoff will complain but would a 3 loss #17 or 18 have a real shot to beat a #1 or 2 team? Probably not.

I say 8. 5 P5 CCG winners (emphasize winning your own conference), 2 P5 wild cards, and 1 guaranteed G5 rep.
Totally agree with the above. This would allow the bowl system to continue. A 16 team playoff would essentially kill the bowl system, and unlike some out there I actually enjoy bowl season and the traditions that come with it.

I would add that the remaining 4 G5 teams should be paired in two bowls (not a mini-playoff) that match the champions against each other.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:08 am

97APP wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:26 am
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:12 pm

Totally agree with the above. This would allow the bowl system to continue. A 16 team playoff would essentially kill the bowl system, and unlike some out there I actually enjoy bowl season and the traditions that come with it.

I would add that the remaining 4 G5 teams should be paired in two bowls (not a mini-playoff) that match the champions against each other.
Yes, this.

People discount the “any given Saturday” factor. In college football, sometimes all it takes is a little extra heart, a little gusto, and some ballsy coaching to “upset” a team. Before the Texas v UGA game, I told my cousin that Texas would probably win because they have a lot of heart and when they get motivated, they are good enough to beat anyone. I’m not saying they would beat Alabama or Clemson, but they sure do have the horses to do it if they played with that kind of emotion. The committee has created a hierarchy, and it is limited to a handful of teams. The true hierarchy should be conferences and their proper Champions. Put the conference champs in a proper playoff and let them battle it out the right way. The only exception, of course, being the one G5 rep. And then YES to have the other 4 G5’s matched up in bowls against each other. No brainer......
The Appalachian State

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:00 am

My problem with this whole system isn't that it's elitist, it's that it's contrived. Now I know these things are cynical, but how are the ACC and Pac 12 "power" conferences? Clemson is an elite program but after that... The Mt. West is going to end up with three ranked teams. Will the ACC or Pac 12?

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:00 pm

I would love to see expanded playoff, but even at 8 I am not sure G5 is guaranteed a spot. I don't think that makes the most cash, may be if they are ranked in top 12-15 the top 1 should be guaranteed, but there are years there is no G5 near the top 8 in the country. UCF has proven last year and this year it could compete and is likely near (maybe/maybe not) worthy of number 8 ranking each year.

I would like to see mandated bowl structure similar to rose bowl 1 vs 1 or sub #2 if team in playoffs. This could be done to mirror ACC/Big 10 challenge and others in basketball but with 5 conferences. ACC 1/next versus SEC 1/next (aka Peach/Orange), PAC 12 1/next Big10 1/next (aka Rose), that leaves top Big 12 to play top G5 say AAC (Cotton), push that on down with Big 12 2/next versus SEC 2/next (Fiesta), Big 10 2/next vs ACC 2/next, PAC 12 2/next versus G5 #2 say MWC. Fifth conference P5 faces next best G5 left (guarantee each G5 champ plays a P5 finishing 1-5 or actually 2-6 in their conference. G5 conf #2s, 3s, 4s are matched up in remainder. Each G5 champ is rewarded with P5 game and chance to prove itself. P5s battle each other and G5s each other to establish conference supremacy.

Oh and a pesky independence bowl or two for ND/Army/BYU/Liberty.

P5/G5 this season since ND got in
B12#1-Texas (sub for OK)/G5#1AAC-UCF
PAC#2-WSU/G5#2MWC-Fresno
ACC#3-NCSU (#4 since Clemson in CFP)/G5#3Sunbelt-App St
B10#4- Penn St/G5#4CUSA-UAB
SEC#5- TxA&M/USC(#6 since Bama in CFP)/G5#5MAC-NIU

would be ok with regions - MAC V B10, AAC V ACC, SB VS SEC, CUSA V B12, MWC V PAC locked in and rotating when you get #1-5 (2-6) each of 5 years.
Last edited by Appalachman on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

appgrad95&97

Unread post by appgrad95&97 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 pm

If we want access to a playoff that leads to a potential national championship, maybe we should think about starting a basketball program.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:29 pm

appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 pm
If we want access to a playoff that leads to a potential national championship, maybe we should think about starting a basketball program.
Intriguing thought. UAB has done well after restarting their football program. However, theirs was only defunct for a couple years, not a decade like our hoops program.

Appalachman

Unread post by Appalachman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Can we just shut down basketball and save the scholarship money and financial losses? Sunbelt had us on island before Coastal, so they can operate with odd number.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:42 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:29 pm
appgrad95&97 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 pm
Intriguing thought. UAB has done well after restarting their football program. However, theirs was only defunct for a couple years, not a decade like our hoops program.
UAB was also given waivers to allow additional transfers in to re-start football. Conversely, App basketball had additional restrictions including loss of scholarship and practice time initially due to the APR issues.

spacemonkey

Unread post by spacemonkey » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:08 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:17 pm
So you are saying the top-ranked G5 team wouldn’t even have to play its own conference championship game? Not sure I see the appeal there.

I also do not want to see either a 16-team playoff or a G5 playoff.
We should settle our Conference Championship game with a conference division Crossover week and another Crossover week with another conference the next week. We (G5's) don't have enough weeks to create a strength of schedule to have a two team, one game championship week.

Week 1 -P5 Game (Money Game)
Week 2 P5/G5 Middle or lower Tier P5 team
Week 3 G5 team/FCS Team
Week 4 G5/FCS Team
Week 5 Division Play
Week 6 Division Play
Week 7 Division Play
Week 8 Division Play
Week 9 Division Play
Week 10 Division Play
Week 11 Line up 1-7 Conference Championship game.
East/West or North/South Division (would love to
add Southern Miss and Marshall to get to 14 or
JMU,UTC)
Week 12 Line up 1-14 against Conference USA or ACC - Increase Strength
of Schedule. We would get some great games out
of these crossover games even if we were not the
number 1 team.
Bowl Game

by the way, some of my post may look like I am complaining, I am very happy with our conference and having a blast with APPSTATE Sports. I like our future a lot. Our school makes me smile. :) Happy New Year.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:22 am

I am still on the fence for playoff expansion. While I like the idea of a G5 getting real access, I am just not sure. In the 5 years of the playoffs, most of the semi final games have been lackluster at best and many have been blowouts. We have really only had 2 good competitive semi in the 5 years (OSU-Bama, UGA-OK) so I am not sure that adding teams would make the games any better. When the playoffs started I was a strong advocate of expanding to 8 teams but the more games I see, the more I start to feel that 4 may just be the right number.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:54 am

If you went to 6, you would likely see more competitive games. At least in the first round with 3 v 6 & 4 v 5.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”