Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by appstate24 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am

Crossing my fingers we hear of another hire today. At least a leak or something. These past few weeks have been exciting and fun, while being excruciating and a lesson in patience at the same time. Loving this staff so far. GO APPS!!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:56 pm

TIL some people think twitter accounts of figureheads are done by the person themselves and not the reality of 22 year old communications and marketing majors twittering those tweetytwats.

97APP

Unread post by 97APP » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:58 pm
97APP wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:44 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:25 pm
appfan1991 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:09 pm
Our D has been dominant against SunBelt/G5 teams - but there is a reason we do not have a P5 win - they've out scored us. Optimistically I believe Roof can provide some tweaks that will help us compete (and win) against P5s. After all, with all of his tenures he's gone against good-to-better P5 offenses.
We don’t need to tweak our defense. Statistically, we are damn good as is. Make two field goals (Vols, Deacons) and we have two more P5 wins. Our D should continue to be built to defeat teams in our conference and win championships. Athletic Speed that is aggressive over size wins. Georgia Southern is trying to mimic us to close the defensive gap and to win the conference. If they are better than us on total defense next year then we got the wrong guy at DC.
I would look more at game control than total defense. Ga Southern runs the option and controls the clock. Our offense under Satt basically did the same through the outside zone and ball control offense. I expect our offense to be more dynamic, higher scoring, and our time of possession to go down this season. This would result in more possessions for the opponent for more yards and opportunities to score. This would be true if we retained our entire previous defensive staff. If Ga South improves their defense and they become more proficient with their offense as they enter year two under Lunsford I expect them to improve their total defense stats. This comes true especially if we don't shut the O down in the second half as soon as we gain a 3 score lead like Satt would.
We have been the #1 Sunbelt defense for the past three years. We are also coming off of back, to back, to back conference championships. We are the third youngest team in FBS. With who we have on defense, if we are not #1 in the Sunbelt, we got the wrong guy at DC regardless of what changes on offense.
Maybe I didn't really make my point effectively. What I'm saying is that we could have a better defense next year, yet our stats could look worse.

If our offense scores faster, we will create additional possessions that can result in more yards and points against us (especially in end of game garbage time situations). We could be more dominant in the margin of victory yet our stats on defense could look worse. Simply trying to cherry pick one stat to determine our overall effectiveness especially "Total Defense" is not the best way to assess whether we're better or worse.
Today I Give My All for Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am
How about John Settle for RBs?
“John, what do you think about leaving Wisconsin and coming back to App? Yes, I know Wisconsin was pre-season top 10 last year but you can come home and take a pay cut! What do you say, John?”

Sorry to play it so sarcastically, but i love when we bring up guys who have 0 reason to come back to App haha.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:51 pm

Don't know if this has been posted. I know we all were sure (and Ivey changed his Twitter handle), but the L'ville tweet came today:

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:46 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:40 pm
My point is ( and someone else alluded ed to the same thing) all 4 were cores of our D. It’s one thing to replace 1 all conference player but 4 is a tall order.
You haven’t been paying attention. We shouldn’t regress at all on defense. If we do, it is because Roof was the wrong hire. It has nothing to do with losing our corners, lb, and NT.
After the 2017 season we lost the following starters; 2 DL, 3 LB and 1 safety.. Of those 6 starters at least 4 were all conference players. Even though we lost 6 big pieces of the defense in 2018 the defense got better. So I would say losing 4 players Roof has no excuses to at least maintain the top level defense we have had.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 pm

If you did a head-to-head comparison on 2018 coaching staff and the current 2019 coaching staff, what would you say our +/- is on quality and ability?
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:45 pm

appaneer1984 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:57 pm
If you did a head-to-head comparison on 2018 coaching staff and the current 2019 coaching staff, what would you say our +/- is on quality and ability?
On paper, the new/current staff would be a +. Much More experience at P5 levels, more current and future NFL players coached and actual NFL coaching.

The old staff was mostly young inexperienced guys with high school coaching or FCS experience, who proved to be solid and quality hires at this level.

Synergy is very important and difficult to replicate. The old staff recruited and developed the current players and they both learned at the same time.
I hope the current staff can keep that going, as I feel like they have an even higher upside

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:01 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:45 pm
appaneer1984 wrote:
On paper, the new/current staff would be a +. Much More experience at P5 levels, more current and future NFL players coached and actual NFL coaching.

The old staff was mostly young inexperienced guys with high school coaching or FCS experience, who proved to be solid and quality hires at this level.

Synergy is very important and difficult to replicate. The old staff recruited and developed the current players and they both learned at the same time.
I hope the current staff can keep that going, as I feel like they have an even higher upside
Your point about developing players is spot on, the prior coaches did an outstanding job with that...I suspect this crew we have now will continue that...time will tell.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:01 pm
The Rock wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:45 pm
appaneer1984 wrote:

Your point about developing players is spot on, the prior coaches did an outstanding job with that...I suspect this crew we have now will continue that...time will tell.
Agree. Hopefully, the new coaches will maintain the culture (attitude and effort) and will have similiar synergy. TIGMA....Every person (coach, player, trainer, to equipment, video and support personnel) was assigned a role. They trusted each other. They understood their role and put their hearts, 100% into doing it to the best of their ability for the team’s success on the field. The 2018 body of work resulted in having the SB conference #1 offense, #1 defense, conference champs and bowl champs. I expect nothing less in 2019. Go get it, Coach Drink and staff. Set the tone. “Best is the Standard”.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:11 pm

I don't really see the need to want to compare staffs. I am very pleased with what Drink has assembled and am eager to see what they can accomplish. However, they have yet to conduct their first practice or prepare for their first game. We know what the previous staff accomplished and it was pretty impressive. It seems that this discussion in many ways discounts what successes they produced. Moreover, let's not oversell what the new staff will do. I'm not sure they will meet some folks expectations. Let's just be patient and see what they do in fact get done.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am

2 days until the dead period for recruiting ends. 2 staff positions to fill. We need to have targets and be on the road by then.
Anyone know if any announcements are imminent?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 am

The Rock wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am
2 days until the dead period for recruiting ends. 2 staff positions to fill. We need to have targets and be on the road by then.
Anyone know if any announcements are imminent?
2 announcements are imminent, I just don't know when they are going to happen.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am

Do you know if it’s 2 defense or 1 offensive and 1 defense?

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:44 am

The Rock wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:42 am
Do you know if it’s 2 defense or 1 offensive and 1 defense?
yes, it's one of those options :lol:

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:01 am

appstate24 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:53 am
Crossing my fingers we hear of another hire today. At least a leak or something. These past few weeks have been exciting and fun, while being excruciating and a lesson in patience at the same time. Loving this staff so far. GO APPS!!
Here's hoping Drink is taking his time in order to get it right the first time. :!:
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

AppNC

Unread post by AppNC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 pm

In Ethan Joyce's article announcing Coach Adams, he stated "Mountaineers still need a running backs coach and a defensive line coach. "

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 pm

AppNC wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:34 pm
In Ethan Joyce's article announcing Coach Adams, he stated "Mountaineers still need a running backs coach and a defensive line coach. "
If that’s the case, that is putting a lot of faith and pressure on DJ smith at LBs, to go from coaching with dale jones part of the LBs to coaching all LBs in a very important role for a 3-4 defense

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:41 pm
ASU3432Mi wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am
How about John Settle for RBs?
“John, what do you think about leaving Wisconsin and coming back to App? Yes, I know Wisconsin was pre-season top 10 last year but you can come home and take a pay cut! What do you say, John?”

Sorry to play it so sarcastically, but i love when we bring up guys who have 0 reason to come back to App haha.
0 Reason? Except when posters on here say so and so bleeds black and gold. Well, guess what...if they bled black and gold, they would still be here despite the pay differential.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:10 pm

Roof will likely coach a position in addition to DC. I don't think Link will coach only Special Teams. He could coach RBs. On Appstatesports.com position assignments have not been listed except for offensive line.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”