Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

Rick83
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm

I have a huge amount of respect and gratitude for our previous coaches but It certainly feels like we've upgraded our coaching staff somewhat. As for Drink himself, he just exudes confidence and is incredibly well-spoken and seems to be just a good man in general. I think that parents are going to have no issues sending their sons up the mountain to play, and with this staff he's putting together, I think the kids will love playing for these guys.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 pm

As to upgrading, it would seem we should wait a year or two to evaluate as next season will be using mostly Coach Satterfield's recruits.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm

What I like the most is that I have noticed that every hire has focused on the talking points and concerns most of us Alumni have had. They harp particularly on the culture piece and seem to be sold on our “special things happen on the mountain” mantra. You do not get these types of guys if you have not earned the respect. Drink is validating what we have all believed and he is ready to take it to the nation. If you aren’t excited, you have no soul and you are one of the guys wishing we had stayed in the FCS ranks.
The Appalachian State

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm

How many pages are in this topic? At first login I see 80+, but when I access the topic I see page 44 as last post.
Bring Your A Game!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm

They can all be individually great but need to develop a cohesive chemistry with each other andthe players. I saw Satt had all his team at a bowling alley with the coaches as an example.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm
They can all be individually great but need to develop a cohesive chemistry with each other andthe players. I saw Satt had all his team at a bowling alley with the coaches as an example.
Eli couldn’t go wrong inviting his crew up to a house on Meat Camp Rd for a good old fashion kegger. Getting drunk and singing along to Tom Petty is a great way to build cohesiveness and make new friends, it is the Appalachian way.
The Appalachian State

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:03 pm
Eli couldn’t go wrong inviting his crew up to a house on Meat Camp Rd for a good old fashion kegger. Getting drunk and singing along to Tom Petty is a great way to build cohesiveness and make new friends, it is the Appalachian way.
Once a week Dabo gets all his coaches, administrative staff, all spouses, and all players together for a family dinner. Hoping Drink does something to that nature. Throw a couple kegs in there as well.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm

Saw where Gillen and wife had the Softball team at Daniel Boone for a meal.
Bring Your A Game!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:07 pm
Don’t we have a coach in place now that can talk some sense into Duck. His stock will definitely rise if he stays on board and learns from guys who’ve been there and done that. I’m not sure of his motivating factors. But, long term, he’s missing the boat. Possibly missing a cruise ship. Regardless, best of luck to him if he chooses otherwise. It’s his decision to make.
Please give this BS a rest. What do you mean "talk some sense into Duck"? Like he needs message board mommies to tell him what to do. It's small minded and embarrassing. Let the guy chart his course, just be glad we were lucky enough to have him on our squad.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
The Appalachian State

Apptiger

Unread post by Apptiger » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:40 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Not to derail this thread..... But am I the only one that thinks Daniel Boone Inn is overrated?
At times, I've eaten there and been meh and eaten there and been wow. Haven't been there in almost 30 years though, I would defer to more recent diners opinions

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm

fjblair wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 pm
Apple@chin1 wrote:
Don’t we have a coach in place now that can talk some sense into Duck. His stock will definitely rise if he stays on board and learns from guys who’ve been there and done that. I’m not sure of his motivating factors. But, long term, he’s missing the boat. Possibly missing a cruise ship. Regardless, best of luck to him if he chooses otherwise. It’s his decision to make.
Please give this BS a rest. What do you mean "talk some sense into Duck"? Like he needs message board mommies to tell him what to do. It's small minded and embarrassing. Let the guy chart his course, just be glad we were lucky enough to have him on our squad.
Tell me if I’m wrong but since he has already declared for the draft he can’t come back??

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:57 pm

appfanz wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm
fjblair wrote:
Apple@chin1 wrote:
Tell me if I’m wrong but since he has already declared for the draft he can’t come back??
Yes. Roof addressed it yesterday in his interview with the media. He said that horse had left the barn before he came aboard.

GoBoone

Unread post by GoBoone » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 pm

fjblair wrote:
Apple@chin1 wrote:
You guys are gonna like the lockdown corners that are coming up. They’re good!

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm

appstatealum wrote:
It's really good if you like K&W, Cracker Barrel, or canned sausages covered in american cheese.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Once every couple years for dinner, when you’re in the mood is fine. The breakfast is good and a better value.
Overrated, perhaps, but a lot of “mature” visitors consider it THE destination in the High Country. Whatever floats their boat.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 pm

appstatealum wrote:
You gotta get the takeout. No waiting and only like $7 for fried chicken, 2 sides, a biscuits and dessert.
Much better than dining in

Appster99

Unread post by Appster99 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am
Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal, has another good App State Football article about 3 of our new football coaches - "App Trail: App State's Ted Roof, Ken Dorsey and Erik Link talk about their new roles."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!
Multiple and base out of a 3-4. As I said multiple times, it would be a mistake to switch to a base 4 man front so I'm glad to be vindicated by Roof. Having played the NCAA Franchise, it's difficult to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 :lol: (kidding)

Also, based on his interview, it sounds like he is here for more than just a chance to get back to a P5 school.
I thought he certainly said the right things. If wants to be at a place where he can enjoy the people he works with and enjoy the guys he coaches he is now in a place that should make him happy. I hope he is at a point where he is financially well off and does it more for the love of the game. Winning is fun and less stressful and that would be what I would want late in my career. He is inheriting a solid foundation. If can continue to build upon that then even the worst doubters here will be converted.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 pm

appstatealum wrote:
No.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Appster99 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:38 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am
87ASUgrad wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am
Ethan Joyce, Winston-Salem Journal, has another good App State Football article about 3 of our new football coaches - "App Trail: App State's Ted Roof, Ken Dorsey and Erik Link talk about their new roles."

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/f ... t=headline

Beat ETSU!!
Multiple and base out of a 3-4. As I said multiple times, it would be a mistake to switch to a base 4 man front so I'm glad to be vindicated by Roof. Having played the NCAA Franchise, it's difficult to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4 :lol: (kidding)

Also, based on his interview, it sounds like he is here for more than just a chance to get back to a P5 school.
I thought he certainly said the right things. If wants to be at a place where he can enjoy the people he works with and enjoy the guys he coaches he is now in a place that should make him happy. I hope he is at a point where he is financially well off and does it more for the love of the game. Winning is fun and less stressful and that would be what I would want late in my career. He is inheriting a solid foundation. If can continue to build upon that then even the worst doubters here will be converted.
Wonder if this is his last stop. If so, I bet he gets himself a retirement place in the high country.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”