Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Coach Drink Staff Thread

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Re: Coach Drink Staff Thread

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 am
HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm
The Rock wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:02 pm

I always thought it was more on Ga southern’s end, but the whole progression of woody to tech and Sloan to stink was a bit messed up.
Maybe woody could have announced his leaving sooner and Sloan would have stayed at App, Or woody poaching wood may have left some bad memories for the existing staff. It is strange that of all the people Satt has given an offer if any kind, woody isn’t one of them, especially when he was a DC a looking for a job.
Sloan is a very good coach but I heard rumors that he got mad when he was passed up for our DC job a few years ago and his ego got the best of him. Hope that is not true because I thought he was doing a good job and if not true I would love to have him back.
Interesteding. Something must have really went South.
Heard he was upset at not getting promotion. Who knows if that is just a coach who was upset that Sloan left or if it is true but was told he was not happy about it and that's why he left for GSU. He really wants to be a P5 coordinator and the minute any of them offer he will leave GSU.
That's not entirely true. He had agreed to become the DC at GS but asked to keep it quiet as he was waiting to see what was happening to Nate and Tech. He would have stayed given the option but the GS AD leaked it before the Woody hire was confirmed and forced his hand. As I understand it, Lunsford drove up to Boone to apologize for that in person. There was no bad blood between the two. In fact, some in the App administration were wanting him back to become DC and he was called and told it wasn't going to happen out of courtesy and respect.
I could see that being the case but I know he got mad at someone who is a mutual friend who he thought could have helped him with getting the DC job. I know he wanted our DC job but his end goal is a P5 school no matter the P5, according to the mutual friend. It is all hearsay. I don't mind being a place that if P5 comes calling you listen and maybe go but I got the impression that Sloan is going to be pushing to get that and won't be happy if he is our DC for say 3-4 years and not getting a DC offer at a P5. One thing they did not say is if he has HC aspirations but made it clear that Sloan wants to be a P5 DC and doesn't plan to stay at G5 level long if he doesn't have to.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:05 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Sloan is a very good coach but I heard rumors that he got mad when he was passed up for our DC job a few years ago and his ego got the best of him. Hope that is not true because I thought he was doing a good job and if not true I would love to have him back.
Heard he was upset at not getting promotion. Who knows if that is just a coach who was upset that Sloan left or if it is true but was told he was not happy about it and that's why he left for GSU. He really wants to be a P5 coordinator and the minute any of them offer he will leave GSU.
That's not entirely true. He had agreed to become the DC at GS but asked to keep it quiet as he was waiting to see what was happening to Nate and Tech. He would have stayed given the option but the GS AD leaked it before the Woody hire was confirmed and forced his hand. As I understand it, Lunsford drove up to Boone to apologize for that in person. There was no bad blood between the two. In fact, some in the App administration were wanting him back to become DC and he was called and told it wasn't going to happen out of courtesy and respect.
I could see that being the case but I know he got mad at someone who is a mutual friend who he thought could have helped him with getting the DC job. I know he wanted our DC job but his end goal is a P5 school no matter the P5, according to the mutual friend. It is all hearsay. I don't mind being a place that if P5 comes calling you listen and maybe go but I got the impression that Sloan is going to be pushing to get that and won't be happy if he is our DC for say 3-4 years and not getting a DC offer at a P5. One thing they did not say is if he has HC aspirations but made it clear that Sloan wants to be a P5 DC and doesn't plan to stay at G5 level long if he doesn't have to.
He wasn’t going to get it for the same reason that Woody wasn’t going to get it. The choice of the DC was Drinks and he had picked them and offered on the day he was hired.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:38 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:05 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:41 pm
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
HighlandsApp wrote:

He wasn’t going to get it for the same reason that Woody wasn’t going to get it. The choice of the DC was Drinks and he had picked them and offered on the day he was hired.
Hope his picks were made with an eye toward performance over preference. Go get that Championship Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 pm

#TrustTheVisor

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 pm
#TrustTheVisor
Have to so far. Losing a coach is not a bad thing. Drink left NC State to make more money as the App State HC. He will leave next year if someone offers him double the salary. Just how it is. Don't think we can judge him poorly for this and I have no reason to.

What I will judge him on is our record, whether the culture remains intact, and graduating our players. Whether we lose a coach, finish #1 in total offense in the SBC, or anything else does not matter. Win the SBC, double digit games, and a bowl game and we all should be happy with him then.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:52 pm
#TrustTheVisor
Have to so far. Losing a coach is not a bad thing. Drink left NC State to make more money as the App State HC. He will leave next year if someone offers him double the salary. Just how it is. Don't think we can judge him poorly for this and I have no reason to.

What I will judge him on is our record, whether the culture remains intact, and graduating our players. Whether we lose a coach, finish #1 in total offense in the SBC, or anything else does not matter. Win the SBC, double digit games, and a bowl game and we all should be happy with him then.
I'm not here to tell you how to form your opinions, but if you are going to look at success solely on the overall record, then you are certainly going to be disappointed at some point. Winning a football game is tough, winning them on the road is tougher. There are many variables that have to work in your favor on a daily basis that affect the outcome. What happens on Monday and Tuesday of game week as an effect on the Saturday outcome. If you don't want to recognize that then so be it. But all of those points that you mentioned above that "don't matter" are the precise ingredients that make double digit wins possible.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:17 am

Honestly, my goal for this season would be the two P5 wins, win the Belt, and a few weeks in the top 25.
The Appalachian State

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am

appstatealum wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:17 am
Honestly, my goal for this season would be the two P5 wins, win the Belt, and a few weeks in the top 25.
But would you consider the season a failure if those things don’t happen?

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:28 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am
appstatealum wrote:
Depends.....so many things can derail a season in football.
The Appalachian State

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:22 am
appstatealum wrote:
I would consider it a failure if we have either a losing record or don't compete in those P5 games and for a championship. With the level of talent on the field and on the sidelines, there's no reason we shouldn't be a threat to every team we play this year.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:32 am

Any thing less that another "Belt" , barring unforeseen events such as injuries to key players...I will be disappointed .

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:46 am

That was my point in asking. There are things that happen outside of the norm in any given year that affect the record. For instance, I would expect that Georgia Southern will be better next year but that there record may not be as good. They were a 8-5 team that benefitted from a large disparity in turnover margin last year which led to the 10-3. They could easily be 8-5 next year and many of their fan base will call them a failure.

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm

FYI.....108 posts and 5 pages to go.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:11 pm

The cupboard is full so the bar is set high for Drinkwitz and staff. Best is the Standard. Go win the Sunbelt next year. Go Apps!
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:21 pm

appstate77 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 pm
FYI.....108 posts and 5 pages to go.
Until 1000?

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:22 pm

2000 and 100

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm

In honor of nearing 100 pages of mostly positive discussion about our football program, let's fill a few pages up with: Worst Restaurant in the High Country.

My vote: Peppers

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:41 pm

China Wok- If you order chicken and broccoli, better order it boneless. :o

StorminASU

Unread post by StorminASU » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm
In honor of nearing 100 pages of mostly positive discussion about our football program, let's fill a few pages up with: Worst Restaurant in the High Country.

This x 100

I have never understood why that restaurant has a following like it does. Don't people have microwaves at home and can make their own overpriced salad and sandwich?

Vote for worst for me is either Ransom (still upset over not having Murphys) or Sunrise

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:54 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:23 pm

I always thought Proper was way overrated.

Cha da Thai is the worst though. Only edible to people who have never eaten at any other Thai restaurant.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”