Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball @ A-State

Yosef84

Re: Men's Basketball @ A-State

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am

Arsenal App wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 pm
mountaineerman wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:40 pm
bigCasu wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 am
mountaineerman wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 am
Was fox Doug’s hire?
He was not.
Who was it Doug,Beasley or Cobb?
Prince Charlie Cobb
Not wanting to defend CC here, but most people thought this was a solid hire at the time. Fox has done a lot of good things for our program in correcting off court issues.

Arsenal App
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by Arsenal App » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am

Not me. I thought it was an average at best hire. It seemed to me that Cobb got mesmerized by the fact that Fox had recruited Steph Curry to Davidson. There were better candidates out there but Cobb couldn't or wouldn't close the deal on one of them.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am
Arsenal App wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
bigCasu wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:01 am
Was fox Doug’s hire?
He was not.
Prince Charlie Cobb
Not wanting to defend CC here, but most people thought this was a solid hire at the time. Fox has done a lot of good things for our program in correcting off court issues.
Sure and he definitely inherited a mess. The talent influx he's responsible for and off court cleanup has been admirable. The on court progress though has barely registered if at all and he has way too much talent (for our program standards) to have not made strides there.

Off topic a bit, but thinking out loud. When Fox was hired, my thought process was that hiring the lead assistant for Davidson was perfect for us. A culture and program we could identify with and we certainly could stand to infuse some of that into our veins. I also loved that his dad was the head of an AAU circuit in the NY/Northeast area. So my immediate thought was that Fox would adopt a similar style to Davidson and really tap into a natural recruiting pipeline that he had access to for talent. And at the end of the day, we don't play at all like Davidson and we haven't leveraged those connections to that pipeline. I know kids have to want to come here, two way street kind of thing, but it just seems odd.

I guess I just feel that my angst towards Fox from an on court stand point comes from the fact that my expectations of how we'd operate from a basketball stand point under his watch was just wayyyy off base. Could be a personal issue unique to me, but was just thinking out loud. Didn't know if others had a similar feeling.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am
Not me. I thought it was an average at best hire. It seemed to me that Cobb got mesmerized by the fact that Fox had recruited Steph Curry to Davidson. There were better candidates out there but Cobb couldn't or wouldn't close the deal on one of them.
I seem to remember the job being McMahon’s to turn down in the end. May not be entirely true though.

app97

Unread post by app97 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

AppHoops wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:57 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 am
Arsenal App wrote:
mountaineerman wrote:
bigCasu wrote:

He was not.
Prince Charlie Cobb
Sure and he definitely inherited a mess. The talent influx he's responsible for and off court cleanup has been admirable. The on court progress though has barely registered if at all and he has way too much talent (for our program standards) to have not made strides there.

Off topic a bit, but thinking out loud. When Fox was hired, my thought process was that hiring the lead assistant for Davidson was perfect for us. A culture and program we could identify with and we certainly could stand to infuse some of that into our veins. I also loved that his dad was the head of an AAU circuit in the NY/Northeast area. So my immediate thought was that Fox would adopt a similar style to Davidson and really tap into a natural recruiting pipeline that he had access to for talent. And at the end of the day, we don't play at all like Davidson and we haven't leveraged those connections to that pipeline. I know kids have to want to come here, two way street kind of thing, but it just seems odd.

I guess I just feel that my angst towards Fox from an on court stand point comes from the fact that my expectations of how we'd operate from a basketball stand point under his watch was just wayyyy off base. Could be a personal issue unique to me, but was just thinking out loud. Didn't know if others had a similar feeling.
He did run a Davidsonesque offense, but it’s seemed to disappear in the last year or so. Maybe he thought he could be more successful with a looser system with the current talent, or just decided to get away from the Mckillop brand and try to develop his own style. As far as recruiting, Allison seems to be the coach that has landed most of our best players, from what some folks have mentioned on this board.

Arsenal App

Unread post by Arsenal App » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:44 pm

Though I wasn't expecting great things from Fox I did think he'd do as good if not better than Capel. His first season showed promise even though the record wasn't great. He managed to exceed expectations. The next two seasons, instead of kicking on, we got worse. Then last season it seemed as though things began to turn for the better. We saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Too bad this season showed that the light was an on-coming freight train.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:53 pm

In that his first season was his best is telling

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Arsenal App wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:44 pm
Though I wasn't expecting great things from Fox I did think he'd do as good if not better than Capel. His first season showed promise even though the record wasn't great. He managed to exceed expectations. The next two seasons, instead of kicking on, we got worse. Then last season it seemed as though things began to turn for the better. We saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Too bad this season showed that the light was an on-coming freight train.
:lol:

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:12 pm

app97 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:19 pm
Arsenal App wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am
I seem to remember the job being McMahon’s to turn down in the end. May not be entirely true though.
That ship sailed with the knee jerk capel fiasco... MM was the logical choice then.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:29 pm

Come on... on paper Fox was a really good hire for us. Our basketball program was an absolute mess, and he was the top assistant to one of the best, most consistent, and most respected programs in all of college basketball. He was really energetic and I truly think he put his all into the job, it just has not worked out. It happens.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:43 pm

And I'm sure he more upset about it than any of us.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”