Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Best Live Music Performance

Appftw
School: Appalachian State

Re: Best Live Music Performance

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 am

goapps wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
Queen- The Game Tour August of 1980.
If you caught the Charlotte show on that tour, I was there too. Beforehand I knew that Freddy Mercury was considered an all-time great frontman, and he did not disapoint, but I had no idea that Brian May was such an amazing guitarist. Awesome performance.
I’m so jealous of you two

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:04 am

The Stones and the Pink Floyd concerts at Death Valley in Clemson were great shows. Both in the early '90s.

The Billy Joel/Elton John show was also a good one.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:22 am

Z Z Top. Anytime. Anywhere.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:36 am

goapps wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:32 am
MAD Doctor wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:03 am
Queen- The Game Tour August of 1980.
If you caught the Charlotte show on that tour, I was there too. Beforehand I knew that Freddy Mercury was considered an all-time great frontman, and he did not disapoint, but I had no idea that Brian May was such an amazing guitarist. Awesome performance.
That’s the one! When I pass the Bojangles Arena now it’s hard to believe that amazing show took place in that building. Saw the Police (Ghost in the Machine) and Joan Jett there a couple years later, and it was good but it couldn’t compare.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:57 am

The Billy Joel/Elton John show was also a good one.
[/quote]

Saw Billy Joel a couple of times. Totally forgot about him.
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:38 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:22 am
Z Z Top. Anytime. Anywhere.
Funny you mention. I saw them at the old coliseum (Bojangles now). They must have been on a stadium tour as their sound system was only a few decibles from lifting the roof off the place. It was a great show but the only one I ever considered too loud. Fortunately the ringing in my ears went away within a week.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:33 pm
The Wailers of Bob Marley fame played at Legends in 88 or 89. That was the best live performance I saw in Boone.

Obviously the band at that time was not what it was while Bob Marley was alive and even earlier when Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer were involved but still some good reggae, which is not the most common sound in the mountains of North Carolina.
I think it was 88, do you remember Awareness Art Ensemble, a reggae act that frequented Happys around that same time. They were a lot of fun as well.

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 pm

Lollapalooza 1992, unreal lineup: Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Chili Peppers, Rage Against the Machine, STP, Ice Cube. Never forget in the weeks leading up to the show the Charlotte PD was issuing threats that if Cube did Cop Killer or Ef the Police he would be arrested for inciting. Chris Cornell gave a speech about art and freedom of expression and ripped into a cover of Cop Killer, pretty bad ass.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:57 pm

Here are some of my favorite concerts ---
Early days - James Brown at the Bluefield Auditorium - White people sat in the balcony and Dick Clark's Caravan of Stars (had about 15 acts each did about 2-3 hits)
Motown era --- The 4 Tops, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross & The Supremes (final tour), The Drifters...
Rock era --- Crosby, Stills & Nash (great), Chicago, Eagles...
Surprisingly one of the best was Huey Lewis and The News (when they were big) and Stevie Ray Vaughn - At the end, Huey got his harmonica and Stevie Ray with his guitar sat on the front of the stage and the 2 of them played for another 30-45 minutes ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:49 pm

My Favorites:

-1968 - Rolling Stones with Little Stevie Wonder as opening act at Charlotte Coliseum ( I think that's what it was called). (my first BIG concert)

-1972 - Deep Purple at Charlotte Park Center with Nazareth and Ted Nugent (I think). This Purple show was my favorite show ever, period. Basically the Made in Japan LP played live.

-1972 - Uriah Heep at Charlotte Park Center

-1972 - Trapeze, I believe at Charlotte Memorial Stadium (with about 6 other bands)

1974 - August Jam at Charlotte Motor Speedway, basically the California Jam on the East Coast. ELP, Deep Purple, Allman Brothers, Black Oak Arkansas, Foghat, Marshall Tucker.

1975 - Jethro Tull at Freedom Hall in Bristol/Kingsport, TN. I believe this was the first show ever in this arena.

Best show at App - The Gregg Allman Tour with Cowboy at Varsity Gym around 1975. Rally Weekend with James Gang and Mountain and Edgar Winter Group would be a close second.

Yes I am old and have seen half of these classic bands (or what's left of them) in the last 10 years here in Atlanta. The best of the recent classic artists performances would be Wishbone Ash, Blue Oyster Cult, Dixie Dregs, Bob Segar, Alice Cooper, Edgar Winter Group, Robin Trower, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and most recently surprisingly, the Rolling Stones.

This is the biggest reason I still live in Atlanta and will have to stay near a metro area in retirement.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:31 pm

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 am
wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:22 am
Did anyone go to August Jam in August 1974? I was 2 weeks from starting freshman year at App. My buds and I decided to go. No tickets. The concert featured The Allman Brothers Band, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Foghat, Black Oak Arkansas, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, PFM, Grinderswitch. It was the largest concert ever held in the state of North Carolina and one of the largest in the U.S. at that time, with an estimated attendance in excess of 300,000 (from Wikipedia). We were scared shitless when we got there and decided to leave—and suddenly everyone started crashing the gates, so we did too. The ELP set was amazing. I kept my August Jam tee shirt for 30 years lol. Not sure how we made it out alive!
I was at the August Jam too! Like you I had just graduated from high school and was just months away from joining the Air Force. I had just bought a Gold 1970 Chevrolet Malibu with mag wheels/hubcaps. Like a naive teenager, I didn't remove the hubcaps before leaving home/Boone. Therefore, someone gladly took them sometime during the Jam. LOL

Also, being young men, all we thought to bring with us was a cooler or two full of beer, etc. (no food, no water, no sunscreen, etc.) Sometimes we learn life's lessons the hard way. LOL
I found a clip from the 1974 August Jam, the lead singer from Black Oak was three sheets to the wind this day:

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:24 pm
Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:33 pm
The Wailers of Bob Marley fame played at Legends in 88 or 89. That was the best live performance I saw in Boone.

Obviously the band at that time was not what it was while Bob Marley was alive and even earlier when Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer were involved but still some good reggae, which is not the most common sound in the mountains of North Carolina.
I think it was 88, do you remember Awareness Art Ensemble, a reggae act that frequented Happys around that same time. They were a lot of fun as well.
I do remember the name AAE. I think I saw them play in a small restaurant that was at the end of the mall at the corner of King and Depot.

Would a spoken word tour count as the best concert? Jello Biafra gave a good show in Farthing, I think the same year.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:20 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:31 pm
WataugaMan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 am
wncapp78 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:22 am
Did anyone go to August Jam in August 1974? I was 2 weeks from starting freshman year at App. My buds and I decided to go. No tickets. The concert featured The Allman Brothers Band, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Foghat, Black Oak Arkansas, The Marshall Tucker Band, The Ozark Mountain Daredevils, PFM, Grinderswitch. It was the largest concert ever held in the state of North Carolina and one of the largest in the U.S. at that time, with an estimated attendance in excess of 300,000 (from Wikipedia). We were scared shitless when we got there and decided to leave—and suddenly everyone started crashing the gates, so we did too. The ELP set was amazing. I kept my August Jam tee shirt for 30 years lol. Not sure how we made it out alive!
I was at the August Jam too! Like you I had just graduated from high school and was just months away from joining the Air Force. I had just bought a Gold 1970 Chevrolet Malibu with mag wheels/hubcaps. Like a naive teenager, I didn't remove the hubcaps before leaving home/Boone. Therefore, someone gladly took them sometime during the Jam. LOL

Also, being young men, all we thought to bring with us was a cooler or two full of beer, etc. (no food, no water, no sunscreen, etc.) Sometimes we learn life's lessons the hard way. LOL
I found a clip from the 1974 August Jam, the lead singer from Black Oak was three sheets to the wind this day:
I was a stage security guard at the August Jam. There was plenty of tequila on stage....not to mention mj. Best job I ever had.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:01 am

There I was, August 10th 1974 - Charlotte Motor Speedway, long hair and doing things "long haired hippy people" do. Then BOOM :shock: , almost six months later to the day (February 11th 1975), all that long hair went away upon arrival at Lackland Air Force Base. The barber cut right down the center of my head, I adjusted though. The day of the Jam passed, but, I'll never forget. :)

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am

There was a perimeter fence in areas behind turns 1 and 2 at the CMS that we patrolled with some off duty CMPD at The Jam. Also German Shepard guard dogs. When we shined flash lights ( it was night time) on the crowd behind the fence it looked like a walking dead movie. A thousand or more concert goers without tickets were shaking the fence and it was going to come down. The dogs were scared and the CMPD guys said " F'it I'm not getting run over". So we retreated toward the track. Going over turn two low wall but we knew the angle of the track so we slid down on out butts. We watched as the mass of drunk and stoned kids rolled over turn 2 and fell, rolled and slid down the track....The next morning one of the more belligerent drunks tried to pick a fight with on of our guys at a backstage gate. About 11:00 am. We handcuffed his wrist and an ankle to the fence...

My job on the stage was to help keep fans from jumping on the stage.....I got paid to listen to an incredible event....

Cro-Magnon App

Unread post by Cro-Magnon App » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:38 pm

The best I've heard the last 5 years - Ralph Stanley, Del McCoury, the Gibson Brothers. I have mellowed.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 am

I've mellowed too, the best I've heard in the last 5 years is the Steve Miller Band, good show.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 am

All I can say after reviewing some of these posts is that I'm jealous! I've never been a frequent attender of concerts but I do love live music. Concerts have just never seemed to make it to the top of my list on a regular basis. I did see Boston in concert in 1977 (Greensboro Coliseum) which I remember fondly as my first real rock concert. Other highlights include Jethro Tull's 25th anniversary tour (I believe that was 1993 or there bouts) in Raleigh. Those were probably the two best. Styx in Charlotte a few years ago was good also but not much to really make it stand out other than I was a big fan back in the day.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 am
All I can say after reviewing some of these posts is that I'm jealous! I've never been a frequent attender of concerts but I do love live music. Concerts have just never seemed to make it to the top of my list on a regular basis. I did see Boston in concert in 1977 (Greensboro Coliseum) which I remember fondly as my first real rock concert. Other highlights include Jethro Tull's 25th anniversary tour (I believe that was 1993 or there bouts) in Raleigh. Those were probably the two best. Styx in Charlotte a few years ago was good also but not much to really make it stand out other than I was a big fan back in the day.
Given this list of concerts I think I know the answer but I gotta ask-"Thoughts on Prog Rock."
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Yosef84 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:00 am
Given this list of concerts I think I know the answer but I gotta ask-"Thoughts on Prog Rock."
I never really tended to add modifiers to "rock" beyond "hard rock" or "soft rock" but I do appreciate a unique style and the complexity of the prog rock groups. Loved Kansas back when Livgren was still with them. I like some of the new stuff too, but I rarely realize what the official moniker is unless someone tells me (like Imagine Dragons). I'm old and out of touch....still listening to my "classic" rock from the 70's. :-D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”