Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

Apple@chin1
School: Appalachian State

Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm

Lovin’ all the press this team demands. You just can’t deny the talent that is all over the field when the Mountaineers suit up! 2019 will be special.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... 19#slide10

Black Saturday

Re: Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

Unread post by Black Saturday » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:38 pm

Apple@chin1 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm
Lovin’ all the press this team demands. You just can’t deny the talent that is all over the field when the Mountaineers suit up! 2019 will be special.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/281 ... 19#slide10
Hell, he was the best in '18, imo
BLACK SATURDAY

Apple@chin1

Unread post by Apple@chin1 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 pm

No doubt. But getting the press started early and often can only increase our brand. I love where we’re headed! This is gonna be a fun team to watch. This should be like nothing we’ve ever seen in the mountains.

Yosefus

Unread post by Yosefus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:01 am

Remember all the question marks going into 2018 season? They were all answered with Yes. Not as many question marks for 2019 other than coaching staff. Lets hope the boys respond with another big YES! this season.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Yosefus wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:01 am
Remember all the question marks going into 2018 season? They were all answered with Yes. Not as many question marks for 2019 other than coaching staff. Lets hope the boys respond with another big YES! this season.
Remember that preseason article that had Zac as the 10th best QB in the league :lol:
Last edited by proasu89 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm

Zac was the best in the SBC in 2018 and it was not close. Hansen was just a senior with a name. He was not half the QB Zac is. Every time he played a P5 he got his butt handed to him but Zac can handle those teams well.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm

No do you have a link?

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:12 am

AtlAppMan wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm
No do you have a link?
Bret Strelow put it up on his Twitter account.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm
Zac was the best in the SBC in 2018 and it was not close. Hansen was just a senior with a name. He was not half the QB Zac is. Every time he played a P5 he got his butt handed to him but Zac can handle those teams well.
Sawyer Smith was likely the best SBC QB and should be for 2019. App was lucky to not have to face him in the SBC Championship Game.

I'd implore you all to take a gander at the highlight tape of David Baldwin who just committed to App as well. A kid with an arm (50 yard throw, slightly short of his receiver, off of his back foot), solid decision making, decent feet, and high school competition that would have him ready to compete in the Summer and Fall. This kid is different from Brown (who I never endorsed to start except in the case of Thomas going down because the alternative wasn't an attractive option) in that he played at IMG in Florida and in Los Angeles (Compton). Brown played in Kernersville where he was the biggest and most athletic kid on the field by default.

Watch the Tape

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Sawyer Smith was likely the best SBC QB and should be for 2019. App was lucky to not have to face him in the SBC Championship Game.

I'd implore you all to take a gander at the highlight tape of David Baldwin who just committed to App as well. A kid with an arm (50 yard throw, slightly short of his receiver, off of his back foot), solid decision making, decent feet, and high school competition that would have him ready to compete in the Summer and Fall. This kid is different from Brown (who I never endorsed to start except in the case of Thomas going down because the alternative wasn't an attractive option) in that he played at IMG in Florida and in Los Angeles (Compton). Brown played in Kernersville where he was the biggest and most athletic kid on the field by default.

Watch the Tape
Take it to the lodge.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:52 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:02 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Watch the Tape
Take it to the lodge.
Can't get up there today. Sorry.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am

I'm excited for the new (hopeful) signee too, but there is 0 chance he plays over ZT barring injury. Thomas has Taylor Lamb's brain in Armanti Edwards' body. He's better than Sawyer Smith.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:39 am
I'm excited for the new (hopeful) signee too, but there is 0 chance he plays over ZT barring injury. Thomas has Taylor Lamb's brain in Armanti Edwards' body. He's better than Sawyer Smith.
I'm not so sure. I think Sawyer Smith would've also been really good in the offense of last season. You have to remember that there is a new coaching staff and regardless of what they say, every position will be an open competition. Baldwin has the arm of no other App QB I've seen, the body type of no other App QB I've seen, and the brain part is TBD. But playing at IMG and in Los Angeles won't hurt.

I still believe that Dan Ellington and Sawyer Smith are on equal footing as Thomas. Ellington is running a traditional spread which App began running in 2004 and doesn't have the line in front of him to give him much help. Smith was injured much of the season but from what I saw, he should contend for OPOY for 2019.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm

ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Watch the Tape
Smith is very good and the only QB in the SBC who is close but I'll take Thomas.

I was loving the Brown commit only because he is a big, athletic guy who is from NC and felt he would at least be a TE for us. Nobody saw him and thought he was a refined passer. It was going to be a project with a high ceiling. I considered him boom or bust and he was a bust, which is okay. You never turn down a 6'3-6'6 athlete who can run.

I really like this guy much better as far as a QB goes. Can throw on the run, has solid mechanics, strong arm, and size. I want him to redshirt but he should be the replacement for Thomas and I would love to see him play 4 games this year. Hopefully we get up by 35 by halftime on ETSU and Baldwin can play 3-4 drives in the 2nd half to see what he has and then play him when we are up by more than 30 a few times this fall.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 pm
Gonzo wrote:
I'm not so sure. I think Sawyer Smith would've also been really good in the offense of last season. You have to remember that there is a new coaching staff and regardless of what they say, every position will be an open competition. Baldwin has the arm of no other App QB I've seen, the body type of no other App QB I've seen, and the brain part is TBD. But playing at IMG and in Los Angeles won't hurt.

I still believe that Dan Ellington and Sawyer Smith are on equal footing as Thomas. Ellington is running a traditional spread which App began running in 2004 and doesn't have the line in front of him to give him much help. Smith was injured much of the season but from what I saw, he should contend for OPOY for 2019.
Smith is really the only QB who I think competes with ZT for POY. As far as the position being open yes all positions are always wide open in terms of if a guy comes in and is better you go with that guy. You always go with experience at QB when they have all the tools and ZT has the arm, feet, speed, and accuracy. He will mentor and prepare Baldwin for his turn, which I think comes in 2021 as a 3-year starter for us (Hopefully).

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:38 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

Smith is really the only QB who I think competes with ZT for POY. As far as the position being open yes all positions are always wide open in terms of if a guy comes in and is better you go with that guy. You always go with experience at QB when they have all the tools and ZT has the arm, feet, speed, and accuracy. He will mentor and prepare Baldwin for his turn, which I think comes in 2021 as a 3-year starter for us (Hopefully).
We will see how Fall Camp goes but Baldwin seems like a guy who is going to put in the work. He also lives in SoCal and works out in a QB specific setting (Youtube) with work focusing on what the position entails. If he gets the playbook prior to the summer, don't be surprised if he comes in and pushes Thomas for the starting spot.

You can say you always go with the experience but App will have a new playbook on that side of the ball, essentially resetting the starting spots until late in August. Ideally, you would Redshirt him and give him a chance to learn but in watching his film, if the race in the Fall is a draw, I'm not so sure you don't give it to him. He's got a bigger arm than any App State QB i've seen and appears willing to put in the work. There is a reason Drink was as excited about him as he was.

On another note, many people may not admit this, but the connections outside of the traditional purview of App recruiting appears to have paid off. A new coach, and someone new to the area, brings a new perspective of Boone and can highlight those differently than perhaps someone who has lived in Boone for 25 years can. I think that part played a role in some of the late commitments App was able to nab.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:38 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:20 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Gonzo wrote:

We will see how Fall Camp goes but Baldwin seems like a guy who is going to put in the work. He also lives in SoCal and works out in a QB specific setting (Youtube) with work focusing on what the position entails. If he gets the playbook prior to the summer, don't be surprised if he comes in and pushes Thomas for the starting spot.

You can say you always go with the experience but App will have a new playbook on that side of the ball, essentially resetting the starting spots until late in August. Ideally, you would Redshirt him and give him a chance to learn but in watching his film, if the race in the Fall is a draw, I'm not so sure you don't give it to him. He's got a bigger arm than any App State QB i've seen and appears willing to put in the work. There is a reason Drink was as excited about him as he was.

On another note, many people may not admit this, but the connections outside of the traditional purview of App recruiting appears to have paid off. A new coach, and someone new to the area, brings a new perspective of Boone and can highlight those differently than perhaps someone who has lived in Boone for 25 years can. I think that part played a role in some of the late commitments App was able to nab.
No question that the connections helped. We got at least 4-5 commits that Scott could not have gotten. I am glad we kept the ones Scott got committed before and then expanded on them with some flavor outside of the Carolinas. There is no reason not to be happy. I truly expect Drink to do better than anything we have seen in the fall. Anything less than 12-1 would be unacceptable and I would be disappointed if he does not make App the best team in the stadium every Saturday.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:18 pm

You're kidding right?

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:47 am

ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Watch the Tape
Dude, do you even read what you write before hitting submit? We faced Sawyer Smith the week BEFORE the SBC Championship Game and we won. Secondly, Sawyer Smith was the backup on his team and took the job when the starter went down so he wasn't even the best QB on his team. Just STOP!! Go back to the Boneyard.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Watch the Tape
Smith is very good and the only QB in the SBC who is close but I'll take Thomas.

I was loving the Brown commit only because he is a big, athletic guy who is from NC and felt he would at least be a TE for us. Nobody saw him and thought he was a refined passer. It was going to be a project with a high ceiling. I considered him boom or bust and he was a bust, which is okay. You never turn down a 6'3-6'6 athlete who can run.

I really like this guy much better as far as a QB goes. Can throw on the run, has solid mechanics, strong arm, and size. I want him to redshirt but he should be the replacement for Thomas and I would love to see him play 4 games this year. Hopefully we get up by 35 by halftime on ETSU and Baldwin can play 3-4 drives in the 2nd half to see what he has and then play him when we are up by more than 30 a few times this fall.
You're kidding right. He has some correctable flaws in his mechanics. Some that should be quite obvious to someone who knows what they are talking about.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”