Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

Yosef84

Re: Zac Thomas voted best QB in SBC for 2019

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am

Sawyer Smith did a good job as a backup for Troy once he got up to speed a bit but he isn't in the same league as ZT. I'm not sure what the nit picking is about where ZT is concerned but he has an amazing up side and will continue to be a great QB for App. Unless there is an injury, I don't see him losing his spot.

Whether we're talking about ZT or Baldwin's mechanics, almost every college QB has some sort of mechanical "issue". People aren't machines and they develop ways to accommodate which deviate from the "ideal." I assume Baldwin is coming in to compete, which is exactly how it should be. I also assume he knows we have an outstanding QB in place right now and that puts him in a very GOOD situation where he can learn the system and develop before being thrown into the fire. The current trend of phenoms coming in and demanding/expecting to start as true freshmen is not a positive thing for college football.

AppStFan1
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm
ericsaid wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm
Zac was the best in the SBC in 2018 and it was not close. Hansen was just a senior with a name. He was not half the QB Zac is. Every time he played a P5 he got his butt handed to him but Zac can handle those teams well.
Sawyer Smith was likely the best SBC QB and should be for 2019. App was lucky to not have to face him in the SBC Championship Game.

I'd implore you all to take a gander at the highlight tape of David Baldwin who just committed to App as well. A kid with an arm (50 yard throw, slightly short of his receiver, off of his back foot), solid decision making, decent feet, and high school competition that would have him ready to compete in the Summer and Fall. This kid is different from Brown (who I never endorsed to start except in the case of Thomas going down because the alternative wasn't an attractive option) in that he played at IMG in Florida and in Los Angeles (Compton). Brown played in Kernersville where he was the biggest and most athletic kid on the field by default.

Watch the Tape
Smith is very good and the only QB in the SBC who is close but I'll take Thomas.

I was loving the Brown commit only because he is a big, athletic guy who is from NC and felt he would at least be a TE for us. Nobody saw him and thought he was a refined passer. It was going to be a project with a high ceiling. I considered him boom or bust and he was a bust, which is okay. You never turn down a 6'3-6'6 athlete who can run.

I really like this guy much better as far as a QB goes. Can throw on the run, has solid mechanics, strong arm, and size. I want him to redshirt but he should be the replacement for Thomas and I would love to see him play 4 games this year. Hopefully we get up by 35 by halftime on ETSU and Baldwin can play 3-4 drives in the 2nd half to see what he has and then play him when we are up heavily a few times this fall.
You're kidding right. He has some correctable flaws in his mechanics. Some that should be quite obvious to someone who knows what they are talking about.
I guess your definition of solid/decent is perfect when my definition is that they are not awful but could improve somewhat. When someone is solid they are just okay but when someone is very good or perfect then they have no improvements to make. That is what I meant in my wording.

As for why I said solid I was comparing his to Stephon Brown. Brown was very poor and needed a lot of work on his throws. Baldwin just has some minor tweaks that can be corrected while he redshirts.

I have seen enough come through App to know if they can play or not. We have several posters who have been around long enough to know that. Baldwin has all the tools and hopefully he turns out to be as good as it appears he can be.

No matter how much anyone knows about football the one thing that is for sure is that anything can happen with recruits. We have seen 6'5 250 pound tights go to a G5 and become a top 5 overall pick in the NFL Draft and seen players go to D3 who are a 220 pound QB and end up a 300 pound OL who gets drafted. At App we had a 160 pound WR walk-on and become a top 100 pick at CB. We have had players with just one scholarship offer (us) play in the NFL. Baldwin or any recruit we just signed could end up in the NFL, just be a solid SBC player, or be out of school and done with football in a year from now.

I trusted Satt and trust Drink to feel good about them all for now. I just hope that a heavy majority of these guys are still in Boone in 3-4 years and are leaders or contributors to a championship team.
Last edited by AppStFan1 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:26 am
Sawyer Smith did a good job as a backup for Troy once he got up to speed a bit but he isn't in the same league as ZT. I'm not sure what the nit picking is about where ZT is concerned but he has an amazing up side and will continue to be a great QB for App. Unless there is an injury, I don't see him losing his spot.

Whether we're talking about ZT or Baldwin's mechanics, almost every college QB has some sort of mechanical "issue". People aren't machines and they develop ways to accommodate which deviate from the "ideal." I assume Baldwin is coming in to compete, which is exactly how it should be. I also assume he knows we have an outstanding QB in place right now and that puts him in a very GOOD situation where he can learn the system and develop before being thrown into the fire. The current trend of phenoms coming in and demanding/expecting to start as true freshmen is not a positive thing for college football.
Very few have perfect mechanics for sure. I don't know exact numbers but I bet less than 10 QBs have perfect mechanics. That's why I said solid before because Baldwin is better than many and not terrible. Just has some minor things to improve.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:30 am
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 pm
Zac was the best in the SBC in 2018 and it was not close. Hansen was just a senior with a name. He was not half the QB Zac is. Every time he played a P5 he got his butt handed to him but Zac can handle those teams well.
Sawyer Smith was likely the best SBC QB and should be for 2019. App was lucky to not have to face him in the SBC Championship Game.

I'd implore you all to take a gander at the highlight tape of David Baldwin who just committed to App as well. A kid with an arm (50 yard throw, slightly short of his receiver, off of his back foot), solid decision making, decent feet, and high school competition that would have him ready to compete in the Summer and Fall. This kid is different from Brown (who I never endorsed to start except in the case of Thomas going down because the alternative wasn't an attractive option) in that he played at IMG in Florida and in Los Angeles (Compton). Brown played in Kernersville where he was the biggest and most athletic kid on the field by default.

Watch the Tape
Smith is very good and the only QB in the SBC who is close but I'll take Thomas.

I was loving the Brown commit only because he is a big, athletic guy who is from NC and felt he would at least be a TE for us. Nobody saw him and thought he was a refined passer. It was going to be a project with a high ceiling. I considered him boom or bust and he was a bust, which is okay. You never turn down a 6'3-6'6 athlete who can run.

I really like this guy much better as far as a QB goes. Can throw on the run, has solid mechanics, strong arm, and size. I want him to redshirt but he should be the replacement for Thomas and I would love to see him play 4 games this year. Hopefully we get up by 35 by halftime on ETSU and Baldwin can play 3-4 drives in the 2nd half to see what he has and then play him when we are up heavily a few times this fall.
You're kidding right. He has some correctable flaws in his mechanics. Some that should be quite obvious to someone who knows what they are talking about.
I was comparing his to Stephon Brown in that they are better than his. Of course I know he has flaws but they are very minor and can be fixed by this time next year. To me there are 3 types of mechanics. Very good with no room for improvement, decent/solid meaning they need to tweak but they are minor and won't hurt production, and then very poor meaning so bad that you probably can't mess with them without hurting the player.

I know what good mechanics are and I know when a player has no shot or not. I have seen enough come through App to know if they can play or not. We have several posters who have been around long enough to know that.
You are still way off in your assessment. DBGs flaws are in his base and the base is the route to everything else so I will have to disagree with what you consider solid. His footwork plays a great deal into why he only completed 50% of his passes. Brown was raw but he threw on time, and made good throws to the flats and deep. DBG needs to work on his footwork so that he can drive the ball better. You are correct that they can be corrected, but they aren't minor. He needs to correct them or a 50% completion won't get him on the field. Nothing that I know about this kid tells me that he can't. He seems like a good one for us to have.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:

Watch the Tape

I was comparing his to Stephon Brown in that they are better than his. Of course I know he has flaws but they are very minor and can be fixed by this time next year. To me there are 3 types of mechanics. Very good with no room for improvement, decent/solid meaning they need to tweak but they are minor and won't hurt production, and then very poor meaning so bad that you probably can't mess with them without hurting the player.

I know what good mechanics are and I know when a player has no shot or not. I have seen enough come through App to know if they can play or not. We have several posters who have been around long enough to know that.
You are still way off in your assessment. DBGs flaws are in his base and the base is the route to everything else so I will have to disagree with what you consider solid. His footwork plays a great deal into why he only completed 50% of his passes. Brown was raw but he threw on time, and made good throws to the flats and deep. DBG needs to work on his footwork so that he can drive the ball better. You are correct that they can be corrected, but they aren't minor. He needs to correct them or a 50% completion won't get him on the field. Nothing that I know about this kid tells me that he can't. He seems like a good one for us to have.
Of course everyone who has seen football for more than 2 years knows that where your feet are pointing, base on release, and footwork are huge in terms of accuracy and depending on your base and how you release the ball can put more velocity on it. One mistake many make is that they true to overhaul mechanics of a QB and most of the time that does not work. Baldwin is close enough that we can fix it in a year or so. We have some on here who think he is going to unseat Zac Thomas and that just won't happen. Baldwin is a good get for us and I think he will fix it but for sure he needs some work. I guess our only argument is exact wording here but we are seeing the same thing. We have a great talent who has upside and should be our starter eventually but he is not ready to start from day one, and that is okay. Very few recruits are. Drink has a strong track record so as long as Baldwin works hard there is no reason he should not correct these things and be a good one.

However, we already have the best returning QB in the SBC right now and I prefer to store Baldwin away to develop while we enjoy another great year from our starter right now. I do hope we see Baldwin in mopup duty 4 times this year but we are lucky in that we don't need him to play right away.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:49 am
AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am
AppStFan1 wrote:
AppSt94 wrote:
AppStFan1 wrote:

Of course everyone who has seen football for more than 2 years knows that where your feet are pointing, base on release, and footwork are huge in terms of accuracy and depending on your base and how you release the ball can put more velocity on it. One mistake many make is that they true to overhaul mechanics of a QB and most of the time that does not work. Baldwin is close enough that we can fix it in a year or so. We have some on here who think he is going to unseat Zac Thomas and that just won't happen. Baldwin is a good get for us and I think he will fix it but for sure he needs some work. I guess our only argument is exact wording here but we are seeing the same thing. We have a great talent who has upside and should be our starter eventually but he is not ready to start from day one, and that is okay. Very few recruits are. Drink has a strong track record so as long as Baldwin works hard there is no reason he should not correct these things and be a good one.

However, we already have the best returning QB in the SBC right now and I prefer to store Baldwin away to develop while we enjoy another great year from our starter right now. I do hope we see Baldwin in mopup duty 4 times this year but we are lucky in that we don't need him to play right away.
Exactly. Redshirt Baldwin. Put him in for 4 games and things will continue to improve for him/us.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm

Instead of carrying on this discussion any further, how about you guys just whip me out, lay em next to a ruler, and post up a pic of the results? Otherwise we’re just going around in circles here.
Give 'em hell!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm
Instead of carrying on this discussion any further, how about you guys just whip me out, lay em next to a ruler, and post up a pic of the results? Otherwise we’re just going around in circles here.
The text box isn't big enough to gauge an accurate measurement.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:55 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:49 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm
The text box isn't big enough to gauge an accurate measurement.
Man autocorrect got you too! Should read isn't small enough to gauge an accurate measurement.....it's all good it happens to all of us
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 pm

I want to know how any of you are convinced Baldwin has a bigger arm than Zac. I have seen ZT throw some ropes and he can definitely get it way down the field when needed. Baldwin's tape looked good so no knock on him but don't disrespect ZT's arm strength in this conversation. I did not see anything to support Baldwin has a "stronger arm" than ZT.

NavyApp

Unread post by NavyApp » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 pm
I want to know how any of you are convinced Baldwin has a bigger arm than Zac. I have seen ZT throw some ropes and he can definitely get it way down the field when needed. Baldwin's tape looked good so no knock on him but don't disrespect ZT's arm strength in this conversation. I did not see anything to support Baldwin has a "stronger arm" than ZT.
I'm with you; The Iceman has legit pro level arm talent. That is not a coachable quality either you got it or you don't. As to all this "similar to Trey Elder and AE situation" I really feel like you guys are missing a huuuge piece. Trey wasn't the returning starter, he was Richie's backup and was expected to be our next starter. The Iceman is the reigning conference offensive player of the year. Baldwin has all the potential to be an absolute STUD but don't forget the Iceman already is.
FREQS AND GEEKS!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:02 pm

NavyApp wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 pm
AtlAppMan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:10 pm
I'm with you; The Iceman has legit pro level arm talent. That is not a coachable quality either you got it or you don't. As to all this "similar to Trey Elder and AE situation" I really feel like you guys are missing a huuuge piece. Trey wasn't the returning starter, he was Richie's backup and was expected to be our next starter. The Iceman is the reigning conference offensive player of the year. Baldwin has all the potential to be an absolute STUD but don't forget the Iceman already is.
Didn’t we have this SAME conversation last year when Brown signed? Oy Vey!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:38 pm

Right now I believe this is our starting QB.

Until somebody REALLY good knocks him off the top. Just replay the 4th qtr of the PSU game if you want to see a real QB operate under pressure in a big time game. We didn't have this body of work evidence last year.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:07 pm

I had (and still have) tremendous respect for Trey Elder but unfortunately, he never really became the starting QB that we thought he would become. ZT has already proven he is a stud. This is a very different situation.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 pm

Old FCS days versus legit top 25ish Big Boy football quarterback...amazing this thread reached such a ridiculous place. Let’s go ahead and dig up the replace Taylor Lamb crap.

Boroneer10

Unread post by Boroneer10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Anyone disrespecting ZT in this thread is a fool. Baldwin's time will come, but this is ZT's show the next couple of years.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 pm

K.

Apptrain

Unread post by Apptrain » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 am

I would like to see Baldwin get game time as early as possible to prepare him for stepping in for Zac should something like the GS fiasco start to happen again. That nearly ended our shot at the SBC championship.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:50 am

I don't think anybody INTENDED to disrespect Zac. I think some people just get a bit overly zealous with their analytics and fail to consider how things come across. The internet does that to some folks. If someone INTENDED to disrespect Zac after this past season then that person is an idiot.
Nobody is perfect. Everyone has things to improve. Bottom line is that ZT is a damn good QB and has exceeded almost everyone's expectations so far as our starter. Now we have Baldwin too. The future looks bright!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:52 am

Huesman and Derrick aren't chopped liver and I anticipate much improvement in their play. ZT is the MAN! I appreciate ericsaid's excitement over DBG...but he will not beat out ZT for a starting role...LMAO!!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”