Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

wncapp78
School: Appalachian State

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by wncapp78 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 am

Who is They? I’d like to see the studies.

Yosef10

Re: North Carolina lawmakers seek to allow alcohol sales at college sporting events

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:05 am

wncapp78 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:49 am
Who is They? I’d like to see the studies.
Sorry, “studies” makes it sound more scientific that it was. Schools just see significant reductions in “incidents” and arrests made when beer is sold in the stadium.

https://www.thelantern.com/2017/09/ohio ... hol-sales/

On top of OSU, WVU and others all report that gameday incidents dropped pretty significantly when they began selling beer in stadium.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am

mgsouth wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm
I have never seen alcohol turn anyone into a better person
I have. Hotter, too.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:42 pm

The bottom line is nfl crowds bring a much different crowd than college crowds. I’ve never had problems at away college games. I have only been hassled wearing an away jersey at a pro game.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:42 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:17 am
mgsouth wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 pm
I have never seen alcohol turn anyone into a better person
I have. Hotter, too.
Hahahahhahhahahhah

mgsouth

Unread post by mgsouth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm

They’ve done studies at collegiate stadiums pre-selling beer and post-selling beer. The facts do not support your hypothesis.
[/quote]

Studies and facts? Yeah. O.K. The studies and facts said that Hillary was going to wipe the floor with Trump in a Presidential election too. LOL! Look, You don't need any study to see that with more alcohol you are going to get more trouble. All you need to do is watch a drunk in action. Or, just watch the news. How many assaults, wrecks and even deaths have occurred and the statement was made, "alcohol was involved?"

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:46 pm

I don’t mind all the craft beer selections, but I am one of those “swill drinkers” who prefers Bud Light or Michelob Ultra. Just give me one or the other, and I’ll be fine.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:48 pm

Oh, and how have we gotten this far without saying, “you know what Coors is? It’s the banquet beer.”
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:34 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm
They’ve done studies at collegiate stadiums pre-selling beer and post-selling beer. The facts do not support your hypothesis.
Studies and facts? Yeah. O.K. The studies and facts said that Hillary was going to wipe the floor with Trump in a Presidential election too. LOL! Look, You don't need any study to see that with more alcohol you are going to get more trouble. All you need to do is watch a drunk in action. Or, just watch the news. How many assaults, wrecks and even deaths have occurred and the statement was made, "alcohol was involved?"
[/quote]

Good post.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm

I will admit that having the lady that owns the PSLs behind me pour a beer down the back of my ex mother in law was the highlight of the 2001 season.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm

mgsouth wrote:
Using that logic, we should sell pot in the stadium. Never seen the headline "pothead kills family in car wreck."

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:51 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm
mgsouth wrote:
Using that logic, we should sell pot in the stadium. Never seen the headline "pothead kills family in car wreck."
Do like me, buy/sell the devil's lettuce in the bathroom of the stadium after downing 6 airplane bottles of fire water.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 pm

About half of fatally injured drivers that are tested come back positive for pot,opioids or both.Most however , are not tested.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:47 pm

I think very few people are going to be getting drunk(er) off 8+ dollar beer. Most people who are already getting sloshed pregame will continue and those bringing bottles in will continue. I'm not convinced it will make a difference at all. I will not be paying for overpriced beer at games just like I don't pay for overpriced soft drinks.
WE ARE YOSEF!

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:58 am

Availability increases consumption .I hope the return is worth it, but I remain skeptical.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:09 am

mgsouth wrote:
[/quote]

There's a HUGE difference between studying an event that already happened (incidents of drunken behavior at football games), and predicting an event that will happen (presidential elections; the weather). I hope you know the difference.

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:33 am

Stonewall wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:59 pm
About half of fatally injured drivers that are tested come back positive for pot,opioids or both.Most however , are not tested.
[/quote

I have never heard that one before, in fact drunk drivers only make up about 25% of motor vehicle fatalities so it if very doubtful that drugged drivers more than double that amount. In fact, most studies on consumption of pot and driving indicate that the participants actually drive better. The only way to get them to drive worse is to give them so much pot that they can barely even function let alone drive. The first study that I was aware of was about 20 years ago out of England, the results were so against the thought process that the study was replicated many times over with the same surprising results, the drivers drove with more attentiveness. Not wanting to accept this point of view, the testers upped the level of pot that was given to the drivers until they finally got to a point that driving skills were significantly diminished, of course those people were so high it is doubtful that they would even put down the game console and leave the couch. Pot simply doesn't impair driving to nearly the scale of alcohol. I have dealt with impaired drivers for more than 20 years, and its nearly almost always alcohol that is the culprit and if there are drugs in the system they are combined with elevated levels of alcohol. Also remember, just because pot may be in somebodies system doesn't mean they are under the effects of it because it can remain in the body up to 30 days. This one article summarizes the years of scientific studies trying to correlate pot with traffic accidents, and there isn't one.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2722956/

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:44 am

I think that this would be a great stadium experience addition. The Yosef Club could sell bracelets for $5 so an individual is only ID'ed once and then let vendors sell the beer in loop around Miller Hill. Or maybe only Yosef Club members can buy beer or wine.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:49 am

Governors Highway Safety Association ,2016 study.

GregPercussion

Unread post by GregPercussion » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:10 pm

The overall trend for sports viewing attendance is down across the board. University athletics are looking to find ways to make it as attractive as possible to get fans to games rather than just watch it on TV.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”