Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

T-Dog

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

I am withdrawing my name from the Appalachian State Men's Basketball coaching search. I want to thank Doug Gillin for considering me and my qualifications. #OneLove #LiveLaughLove #Committed #MyCurrentSchool'sHashtag

beav910
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by beav910 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:11 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm
I am withdrawing my name from the Appalachian State Men's Basketball coaching search. I want to thank Doug Gillin for considering me and my qualifications. #OneLove #LiveLaughLove #Committed #MyCurrentSchool'sHashtag
You had me at LiveLaughLove. Please reconsider
Appalachian State Alumnus :: Graphic Designer

wncapp78

Unread post by wncapp78 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:16 pm

On a very positive aspect of DG and his staff and the Admin—-they have been able to conduct two very high visibility searches with total confidentiality. That is amazing and speaks to the ability of DG to hire staff with high integrity.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm

So how come nobody has been staking out the airports?

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:17 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:13 pm
One YC post is the only thing I’ve seen suggesting we’ve been turned down by anyone. Not convinced.
There’s posts elsewhere behind a paywall. Though I’m really not sure why some people here feel it’s OK to post info that some of us pay for on a free board such as YC.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 pm

appbasketball123 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 pm
asu66 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:25 pm
The Rock wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm
IF it’s true that Lutz hasn’t interviewed, and IF an announcement will be made by tomorrow, then I highly doubt it will be Lutz.
I have no inside info whatsoever about DG's actual shortlist or his ultimate choice, but I don't look for a formal announcement until after that 3 PM BOT Athletics Committee meeting on Thursday. A name may get leaked someway, somehow before then, but until the BOT takes action, nothing's final. The board will be asked to approve both the candidate being recommended and the terms of the contract. When things get this far along, it almost always goes smoothly--but it's not guaranteed to go well. Still, it's a pretty good bet.
AppMania says it will be announced tomorrow at the LATEST.

Hopefully they are correct and not spreading fake news.

We shall see who is correct.
I hate to play cop around here but why are you going around here posting what’s behind a paywall when obviously no one on this free board really has a clue?

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm
LMAO!!! 🤣

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:45 pm

So are we not allowed to post good content on a "free" forum?

I've never understood that whole talk....im not knocking people for making a dollar, but....
The Appalachian State

appbasketball123

Unread post by appbasketball123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 pm
appbasketball123 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
IF it’s true that Lutz hasn’t interviewed, and IF an announcement will be made by tomorrow, then I highly doubt it will be Lutz.
I have no inside info whatsoever about DG's actual shortlist or his ultimate choice, but I don't look for a formal announcement until after that 3 PM BOT Athletics Committee meeting on Thursday. A name may get leaked someway, somehow before then, but until the BOT takes action, nothing's final. The board will be asked to approve both the candidate being recommended and the terms of the contract. When things get this far along, it almost always goes smoothly--but it's not guaranteed to go well. Still, it's a pretty good bet.

I hate to play cop around here but why are you going around here posting what’s behind a paywall when obviously no one on this free board really has a clue?
I have not posted any premium info. If any info I posted was premium, sorry you are paying for something that can be found free.

Twitter account reported Mike Jones turned down the job.

AppMania posted on free board:

AppStateMania

(60313)
57 months

Mar 24, 9:28 AM

"Expecting a coaching announcement by Wednesday, at the latest"

So again, according to AppMania, Doug should have this search wrapped up by tomorrow.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm

appbasketball123 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:46 pm
Yosef10 wrote:
appbasketball123 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

I have not posted any premium info. If any info I posted was premium, sorry you are paying for something that can be found free.

Twitter account reported Mike Jones turned down the job.

AppMania posted on free board:

AppStateMania

(60313)
57 months

Mar 24, 9:28 AM

"Expecting a coaching announcement by Wednesday, at the latest"

So again, according to AppMania, Doug should have this search wrapped up by tomorrow.
My bad, someone else had earlier. I found that tweet after i posted and figured as much.

BTK2000

Unread post by BTK2000 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Yosef10 wrote:
appbasketball123 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Lol I’m tempted to pay for a premium site so that I can just post screenshots here now.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm

appstatealum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:45 pm

I've never understood that whole talk....im not knocking people for making a dollar, but....
Pretty simple really. When you take content that's behind a paywall and post it elsewhere, you undermine the reporting and the business model of the site that provided the info.

Plus it's just a dick move once you think about it.

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:29 pm
LOL, what a snipe hunt that was.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm
appstatealum wrote:

Pretty simple really. When you take content that's behind a paywall and post it elsewhere, you undermine the reporting and the business model of the site that provided the info.

Is it?
Once it’s published, it is out there for whoever sees it. Is confidentiality expected at that point?
If I subscribe to a newspaper, am I not allowed to discuss a story in it with someone unless I make them prove they are a subscriber too?
Does The NY Times get pissed when other media outlets report on stories they publish?
Typically it is a good thing when subject matter you are covering gets spread to general public. Isn’t the objective to inform?
Maybe there should be a security clearance or blood oath sworn so people paying.99 cents/month will keep quiet about the men’s App St Bb coaching search.
I mean, you should be entitled to certain privileges when you pay that kind of money. I guess knowing 30 seconds before it is announced via Twitter puts you in exclusive company. Is there a secret handshake?

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:56 am

It's not that difficult to understand. The reporters on the pay sites have connections and informants most don't have. If the information on the paid sites gets out to the public, those connections and informants become more and more scarce. The more scarce it gets, the less information the paying customers get. The less information, the fewer subscriptions. The fewer subscriptions, someone loses income simply because people can't abide by the rules.

It's not that difficult to understand.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:35 am

So somehow “informants” who leak info from inside are safe to leak info if people are paying a monthly fee, but if the same informants leak info to general public for free, it’s bad?
I think word will get around either way and the establishment will know there is a leaker. Something tells me the establishment won’t care if leaker is leaking to a pay wall site or a free site.
You act like paying a dollar a month Creates an alternate universe where anything can be said and no one can ever find out.
Is it so bad that people have inside information...for free?

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:39 am

Once a story is published in whatever forum, paywall or not, a quick reference to the story becomes fair use, as long as attribution is given, which is the case here. Now, if someone had copied and pasted the entire article, there would be an issue, but that didn’t happen.

No “source” in his right mind will ever give out information, but get mad if anyone other than some website’s list of paid subscribers finds out.

You can’t tell a secret you heard from someone and fully expect whomever you tell to keep their mouth shut just because they paid a small amount of money to find out. It doesn’t work that way, and it’s naive thinking on the part of anyone who does.

The bottom line is if you don’t want everyone to find out, don’t tell a single person.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 am

The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm
appstatealum wrote:

Is it?
Once it’s published, it is out there for whoever sees it. Is confidentiality expected at that point?
If I subscribe to a newspaper, am I not allowed to discuss a story in it with someone unless I make them prove they are a subscriber too?
Does The NY Times get pissed when other media outlets report on stories they publish?
Typically it is a good thing when subject matter you are covering gets spread to general public. Isn’t the objective to inform?
Maybe there should be a security clearance or blood oath sworn so people paying.99 cents/month will keep quiet about the men’s App St Bb coaching search.
I mean, you should be entitled to certain privileges when you pay that kind of money. I guess knowing 30 seconds before it is announced via Twitter puts you in exclusive company. Is there a secret handshake?
It’s nothing secret. Many premium sites - not just ASM - explicitly ask that subscribers not share info from their premium boards on other sites. They also often have policies not to allow posting premium info from other sites on their boards.

If you think that’s silly, you are of course free not to subscribe to or frequent those sites. But don’t then expect to get the info for free once you’ve determined it’s not worth paying for.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:16 am

Yosef10 wrote:
appbasketball123 wrote:
asu66 wrote:
The Rock wrote:

Obviously? Did you ever consider that some people here might just have the ability to keep their mouths shut?

MountaineerDave86

Unread post by MountaineerDave86 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 am

So...

Something, something, basketball coach. Something, something, BOT meeting.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”