Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Basketball Coaching Search

appgrouch
School: Appalachian State
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Re: Men's Basketball Coaching Search

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:01 am

Gillin 'getting closer' on hiring new men's basketball coach
By Steve Behr sports@wataugademocrat.com 11 hrs ago 0

BOONE — Appalachian State Athletic Director Doug Gillin said he is moving closer to finding a new men’s basketball coach, but he doesn’t want to rush the process, either.

“We’re getting closer,” Gillin said. “It’s a process. You start big and you move down, but we’re getting close. We’re getting excited to get who we think is the right choice to get the program moving forward.”

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... f0393.html
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:09 am

I don’t pay for a subscription to the Watauga Democrat. Am I allowed to read that?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:18 am

Watauga Democrat says we are "getting closer" to finding a candidate.

https://www.wataugademocrat.com/sports/ ... f0393.html

*Warning* Only read this if you are a subscriber. Everyone else pound sand and wait in the dark

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:18 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:09 am
I don’t pay for a subscription to the Watauga Democrat. Am I allowed to read that?
It comes out 2 times a week. So not much of a print paper now, so your good.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:45 am

AppSt89 nailed it....

Some of us have the luxury of the same "access" that those running the premium sites have, but when it comes to my almamater, I'm not interested in making money on people like me who just want to follow their school. Again, I'm a business guy, and I'm not knocking someone for making a dollar, and I agree that no one should be reposting articles from these sites, but information is information. Once it's out, it's out.

My sources have a passion or vested interest in the success of the school, and they share information with me because we have that in common. If they knew I used that relationship to make money, they probably wouldnt continue to share or reach out to me for feedback. Again, not knocking people for doing it, but you can't get upset with people discussing information that is publicly published, whether behind a pay wall or not.
The Appalachian State

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:02 am

“Certainly you want somebody who is a proven winner, somebody who has won at a higher level,” Gillin said. “You’re looking for somebody who has head coaching experience" . That narrows the field significantly .

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 am

Guys: if you want to support free journalism, you shouldn’t do what Appgrouch has done. By posting Steve Behr’s article in its entirety without so much as a link, you’ve deprived the Democrat of pageviews — i.e. revenue. If you don’t see the harm, the Democrat is like all the other media outlets in this country not named New York Times and Washington Post, and is barely hanging on. When the Democrat folds ... and that day is coming ... we’ll have people like Appgrouch to thank for its demise.

I, for one, am disappointed our moderators haven’t deleted his post.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 am
Guys: if you want to support free journalism, you shouldn’t do what Appgrouch has done. By posting Steve Behr’s article in its entirety without so much as a link, you’ve deprived the Democrat of pageviews — i.e. revenue. If you don’t see the harm, the Democrat is like all the other media outlets in this country not named New York Times and Washington Post, and is barely hanging on. When the Democrat folds ... and that day is coming ... we’ll have people like Appgrouch to thank for its demise.

Agree.... Post a link and reference to the content so people can migrate over to WD themselves. That is how this "free" board can help WSJ and WD get more readers
The Appalachian State

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am

AppGrad78 wrote:

Sorry I can't be online 24/7. I do the best I can.

His post has been edited now.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am
AppGrad78 wrote:

And it’s appreciated, Glenn. I just get frustrated that we have to re-plow this ground so often.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 am

In a way, Yosef's Cabin is a pay site. My company is paying me while I read and post on here.

appstatealum

Unread post by appstatealum » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:29 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am
AppGrad78 wrote:

This isn't your job? You should be paid to do this. Start charging a fee to readers of YC..... Oh, wait....
The Appalachian State

MountaineerDave86

Unread post by MountaineerDave86 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 am

Not that it's even a considerable selling point for hiring a coach, but one of the minor pleasures I've taken in the Lutz rumors this week is that my father (a UNC Charlotte alum) has been in a state of 24/7 angst over the idea of Bobby donning the block A.

In the interest of full disclosure I am perfectly happy with a Lutz hire, but not because it rubs Charlotte fans.

appstanding

Unread post by appstanding » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 am

EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 am
The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:45 pm
So are we not allowed to post good content on a "free" forum?

I've never understood that whole talk....im not knocking people for making a dollar, but....
Pretty simple really. When you take content that's behind a paywall and post it elsewhere, you undermine the reporting and the business model of the site that provided the info.

Plus it's just a dick move once you think about it.
Is it?
Once it’s published, it is out there for whoever sees it. Is confidentiality expected at that point?
If I subscribe to a newspaper, am I not allowed to discuss a story in it with someone unless I make them prove they are a subscriber too?
Does The NY Times get pissed when other media outlets report on stories they publish?
Typically it is a good thing when subject matter you are covering gets spread to general public. Isn’t the objective to inform?
Maybe there should be a security clearance or blood oath sworn so people paying.99 cents/month will keep quiet about the men’s App St Bb coaching search.
I mean, you should be entitled to certain privileges when you pay that kind of money. I guess knowing 30 seconds before it is announced via Twitter puts you in exclusive company. Is there a secret handshake?
It’s nothing secret. Many premium sites - not just ASM - explicitly ask that subscribers not share info from their premium boards on other sites. They also often have policies not to allow posting premium info from other sites on their boards.

If you think that’s silly, you are of course free not to subscribe to or frequent those sites. But don’t then expect to get the info for free once you’ve determined it’s not worth paying for.
Policies or not, a website or a subscriber simply does not own the news or information it reports. It cannot be copyrighted. As a subscriber, you are paying, hypothetically at least, for the ability to get this news before other people, and not for some exclusive right to sit on it without others finding out. It's fine if you want to pay this site for the timeliness of the information but there is no moral or legal reason why it should kept from the general public. News about Appalachian State, its athletic programs and its coaching searches is in the public domain. Once it's out, it out.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:07 am

appstanding wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:57 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:03 am
The Rock wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:39 am
EastHallApp wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:02 pm
appstatealum wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:45 pm
So are we not allowed to post good content on a "free" forum?

I've never understood that whole talk....im not knocking people for making a dollar, but....
Pretty simple really. When you take content that's behind a paywall and post it elsewhere, you undermine the reporting and the business model of the site that provided the info.

Plus it's just a dick move once you think about it.
Is it?
Once it’s published, it is out there for whoever sees it. Is confidentiality expected at that point?
If I subscribe to a newspaper, am I not allowed to discuss a story in it with someone unless I make them prove they are a subscriber too?
Does The NY Times get pissed when other media outlets report on stories they publish?
Typically it is a good thing when subject matter you are covering gets spread to general public. Isn’t the objective to inform?
Maybe there should be a security clearance or blood oath sworn so people paying.99 cents/month will keep quiet about the men’s App St Bb coaching search.
I mean, you should be entitled to certain privileges when you pay that kind of money. I guess knowing 30 seconds before it is announced via Twitter puts you in exclusive company. Is there a secret handshake?
It’s nothing secret. Many premium sites - not just ASM - explicitly ask that subscribers not share info from their premium boards on other sites. They also often have policies not to allow posting premium info from other sites on their boards.

If you think that’s silly, you are of course free not to subscribe to or frequent those sites. But don’t then expect to get the info for free once you’ve determined it’s not worth paying for.
Policies or not, a website or a subscriber simply does not own the news or information it reports. It cannot be copyrighted. As a subscriber, you are paying, hypothetically at least, for the ability to get this news before other people, and not for some exclusive right to sit on it without others finding out. It's fine if you want to pay this site for the timeliness of the information but there is no moral or legal reason why it should kept from the general public. News about Appalachian State, its athletic programs and its coaching searches is in the public domain. Once it's out, it out.
Incorrect.

Media do “own” the news they publish. That’s why they are copyrighted. Just yesterday the sports editor of the Winston-Salem Journal demanded that a website take down content that had been lifted straight from journalnow.com.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:09 am

Gonzo wrote:
The Democrat has a soft online paywall at the bottom of the story. If you click the link and can read the story, you can read it.

Just don't post full stories. Opening 2-3 graphs are okay.

Most news companies are for-profit, so yes, the articles and pictures, unless otherwise noted, are copywritten content.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 am

The rule here has always been don't post the whole article. Post a snippet and link the article.

If you pay money to a premium site, then follow their rules, or risk whatever consequences they may impose.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:23 am

appst89 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:16 am
Yosef10 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:20 pm
appbasketball123 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:39 pm
asu66 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:25 pm
The Rock wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm
IF it’s true that Lutz hasn’t interviewed, and IF an announcement will be made by tomorrow, then I highly doubt it will be Lutz.
I have no inside info whatsoever about DG's actual shortlist or his ultimate choice, but I don't look for a formal announcement until after that 3 PM BOT Athletics Committee meeting on Thursday. A name may get leaked someway, somehow before then, but until the BOT takes action, nothing's final. The board will be asked to approve both the candidate being recommended and the terms of the contract. When things get this far along, it almost always goes smoothly--but it's not guaranteed to go well. Still, it's a pretty good bet.
AppMania says it will be announced tomorrow at the LATEST.

Hopefully they are correct and not spreading fake news.

We shall see who is correct.
I hate to play cop around here but why are you going around here posting what’s behind a paywall when obviously no one on this free board really has a clue?
Obviously? Did you ever consider that some people here might just have the ability to keep their mouths shut?
That kinda my point. We pay money to get premium info that is never even uttered on this board.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:25 am

appstatealum wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:45 am
AppSt89 nailed it....

Some of us have the luxury of the same "access" that those running the premium sites have, but when it comes to my almamater, I'm not interested in making money on people like me who just want to follow their school. Again, I'm a business guy, and I'm not knocking someone for making a dollar, and I agree that no one should be reposting articles from these sites, but information is information. Once it's out, it's out.

My sources have a passion or vested interest in the success of the school, and they share information with me because we have that in common. If they knew I used that relationship to make money, they probably wouldnt continue to share or reach out to me for feedback. Again, not knocking people for doing it, but you can't get upset with people discussing information that is publicly published, whether behind a pay wall or not.
You also haven’t really provided any good info to “those like you who just want to follow your school”, unlike the ASM site. Bit of a difference there i would say.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:29 am

Gonzo wrote:
If your neighbor pays for a Democrat subscription, and you don’t, and then you come along and take the paper off his door step each morning, is that stealing?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”